Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods screw in freeze plugs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, May 21, 2018.

1. silent rick

silent rick

2. squirrel

squirrel

just gotta buy the right block

2livbpk.jpg

3. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

I've done several non Boss 302 for some guys. The taps are pretty expensive. You could still buy the plugs from Ford Motorsports a few years ago.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. I like that block squirrel, whatssit?

Never really heard of freeze plug failure unless they are installed wrong

Just like “ anything can be a dildo if your a big enough slut box”

Anything can be a frost plug with the right tap, but a tap that size is gonna he worth a few bucks

5. squirrel

squirrel

Boss 302

Sent from my Trimline

6. Deuces

Deuces

That's what I thought..... :cool:

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I did tap a GMC block once and make brass plugs with hex heads. Looked cool. Didn't do anything else any better.

Vanness, williebill and squirrel like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I had some spares that came with my Rodeck block, only have two left, gave one to a local dirt modified guy that needed it, not letting go of them because they are no longer in business.

20180521_154639.jpg

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I got me one a them [69-70] Boss 302..Been under the bench for 30 years, gonna build it some day..

deathrowdave likes this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It ain't gonna build itself;)

Deuces likes this.
  11. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I've done half of my Stude block. It's a pain in the butt.
    As noted, the tap isn't cheap.
    And with the Stude block, you need a standard tap to start the threads...then a short tap to finish the threads to the correct size to get the plugs installed to a good position.
    I'm doing mine in two steps, first step, then shorten the tap and finish the threads. As I said...a pain in the butt.

Mike

12. My buddy and I used some very large pipe taps to put them in his 351C block many years ago. For some reason 1-1/4" npt sticks out to me, but cannot remember exactly. I do know that we used two taps. One was unmodified and used to start the threads and the other had about the bottom half ground off of it. Got the taps for free on a job I had done that provided way more taps than was needed and they were going to toss the taps when the job was done.
    Not being a Cleveland guy, I was told they they help strengthen the block somewhat as well. They look very nice and doing it yourself you can adjust the depth of the plugs so to speak.

13. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I had one that sat under my bench for about 25 years. Sold it last fall. Figured getting $1000 for a 030 over block that needed a sleeve was better than something to walk around another 25 years. Money went into the '32 Ford 5 window fund so it was a good cause...
    SPark

Atwater Mike and Vanness like this.
  14. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Gotta do this on the 545 going in the '32. Press in freeze plugs tend to pop out over 700 horse and using the block mounting pads.

15. silent rick

silent rick

for the most part, they go un-noticed. but when they are noticed, it's a hint to something special that hides underneath, performance. i don't know how much strength is added when using them, i'm thinking it was more preventative.
    less chance to puke out and douche the track in front of the rear tires during a race. and they look cool.

16. Soft plugs seldom fail. I have never heard a satisfactory explanation for why Ford used screw in core plugs in the Boss 302 other then to set that block apart from other small block Ford blocks.

It is a cool idea and looks cool but there is no real logical reason for it. Perhaps to make it easier to assemble it certainly takes less finesse to screw a plug in than it does to drive one in. ;)

17. silent rick

silent rick

i heard it was because the boss 302 was destined for the 5.0liter trans am racing, a screw in plug was less likely to fail causing leakage and causing a spin out on the track.

of course, i have no logical reason for wanting to do so other than i think they look cool.

18. squirrel

squirrel

if you're just doing it for looks, you could turn down a threaded plug to fit inside a normal freeze plug :)

super poser!

fauj, deathrowdave, saltflats and 2 others like this.
  19. silent rick

silent rick

that's my middle name jim

20. HiHelix

HiHelix

They are sand casting clean outs... not freeze plugs...

21. RmK57

RmK57

Might be worth while in a supercharged application. I can see it as a safety feature more than anything. IMG_2525.JPG

22. squirrel

squirrel

......especially the threaded plugs, eh? won't pop out when it freezes

Atwater Mike likes this.
  23. Gerrys

Gerrys

I guess in a supercharged or turbo application could prevent the plugs popping with a failed head gasket.

24. Deuces

Deuces

Wasn't the 289 hi-po block done up the same way???? Screw in freeze plugs and 4-bolt mains????
    Just curious.....:confused:

I also read somewhere that the factory installed TRW Forged pistons were prone to cracking around the wrist pin area on the Boss 302....:eek:

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Lots of guys, myself included, put a strap across the Welsh plugs. Held down by a couple of 10-32 screws, the strap prevented the plug from popping out. These were cup type plugs, but I guess you could use a set screw in the strap for expansion plugs.

squirrel likes this.
  26. Actually, they are core plugs. The sand might be cleaned out through them, but the holes are where the sand cores, that form the hollow parts of the block, rest on the outer part of the mold

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a fat guy at the shop one night, blowing off how fast his 'rat motor' was.

That thing had SO MUCH H.P. that when he wound it up the first time..."It blew all the freeze plugs out!"
    I ushered him out, before he 'blew the radiator off with it!'
    Uh...I prefer the cup type welsh plugs...

28. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

The logic was it took a thin wall casting and made it stiffer. Less deflection under stress, truer bores and more longevity. Simple.

No, the 289 HiPo was a 2 bolt block with normal freeze plugs. It had thicker webs than a normal block but no screw in plugs.

SPark

Alaska Jim and silent rick like this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Funny my next build won't have freeze plugs. :eek:

silent rick likes this.
  30. Deuces

Deuces

Ok, thanks....