Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flat FED build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roseville carl, Jan 14, 2010.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why surge brakes instead of electric? Just wondering. I've never had good luck with surge brakes and with the new electronic brake controllers and self adjusting backing plates I've never had any issues.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. gotta start somewhere. Never used either and surge sounded good to me.

chryslerfan55, mctim64 and loudbang like this.
  3. Now we're talking - a REAL ignition! You need a lot of spark energy for alky . . . now you'll have it.

Do you know whether or not it has advance plates in it? Hopefully it is 'locked down' and has no plates (so the initial timing is IT). If not, then hopefully it has a set of timing plates designed for a flathead - with 6 - 8 degrees of magneto advance (12 - 16 crank). If it has the "normal" SBC advance weights (24 degrees crank), then it will be way too much . . . and BAD things will happen! LOL

chryslerfan55, mctim64 and loudbang like this.
  4. locked rotor Dale ...........gonna start it up tomorrow I hope, still working on the damn trailer

mctim64 and loudbang like this.
  5. Sounds good Carl - I would set static timing at about 25 degrees (locked down). I would check it with a timing light to make sure it is solid locked. I've seen plenty of surprises in magnetos in my time. :). Also, don't be surprised if it acts differently - as having a strong spark should burn more fuel, make it leaner and make some more horsepower.

6. a little better with spark...........

7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

sorry to go off subject here, but anyone have an opinion on calculating pulley sizes on a flathead?? I've got joe abbins book and emailed him as well. his calculation is a little more aggressive than I assumed it would be. looking to run a 245 cube motor with a 112 cube blower at 5 psi... his calcs come out to 1.68:1 pulley ratio... running a couple V-belts and don't want to have to custom make too many pulleys.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

See ya Friday Carl. Is Jack coming along?

9. loudbang likes this.
  10. Yea, see ya Friday Tom

11. loudbang

loudbang

Man if that is a cold start she fires up right nice now.

1947knuck likes this.
  12. yep got it real close to start with....... about 3deg off..... will set at track

OahuEli, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. Sounds great Carl. Are you just going to use the track times for your dyno calculations?
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  14. Yea Bob as we had a really bad day at the dyno..........no spark,,ug.... so for now it will be seat of the pants dyno on sat and maybe some timed runs on sunday if no one breaks the clocks:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

and as you know we already did the Bonny thing Tim.......still gettin salt out of crevices....

15. I hope it goes well for you, I'll be eager to see the video. It sure sounds great.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  16. Well that didn't go as expected, 3 runs sat, none Sunday, its the shits when your tow vehicle is faster than your race car.........
    Uggg well its back to the drawing board till we get this alky thing figured out............... video later.......
    Did have fun with the Flat8 / 6Cyl shootout though........

17. Sorry to learn of the disappointing weekend, Carl, I hope you can get the problems sorted out and that it isn't something complicated or expensive.

Bob

loudbang likes this.
  18. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

You will figure it out Carl :) What was the issue with it ?

Kjell B-S

19. Way too much fuel at crack of throttle, idle OK but upper end sucks Kjell, eventually will get it sorted out but still fumbling right now..........

loudbang likes this.
  20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hang in there Carl. You'll get it sorted out. Fun seeing you again. Neat getting a ride in your truck.

loudbang likes this.
  21. at least something works.......

OahuEli, 64 DODGE 440 and loudbang like this.
  22. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

We had some of that problems too. Adjusting the BV was a little sensitive. With a secondary bypass, we managed to control the amount of fuel at idle and partial throttle. What pill size do you use on the main bypass and opening pressure and BV leakdown?

KBS

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

Well at least the rear cast plate on the supercharger looks real good from that camera angle. :rolleyes:

1947knuck likes this.
  24. 13clicks

13clicks

Is that your truck? Bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. 13clicks

13clicks

Shoot. But looks like you got it straight again from the primer. Matching paint isn’t fun. ‍♂️hope you get it back to normal bitchen soon.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. coreythompsonhm

coreythompsonhm

An old boat trailer... I like it!!! Eventually I want to get to building a FED with a flatty. Great inspiration in this thread. Glad to see you enjoying it!

27. lowbolt1

lowbolt1
    from usa

Just wondering if you guys are really ready for the amount of effort it takes to get a home spun fed to run in the 7.00 7.50s it's good bench racing but let's get safe and serious.

chryslerfan55 and mctim64 like this.
  28. can't go 7 to 7.50's my chassis wont cert, and don't want to, I just want to go have fun with a home built Flathead something I built myself and run myself...........this about says it all
    12495171_560323197476603_7774754011218436940_n.jpg

Hemi Joel, Blues4U, Rick28 and 11 others like this.