Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Plymouth Coupe will not start

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Jeff Johnson, May 20, 2018.

1. Jeff Johnson

Jeff Johnson

Hi my name is Jeff and I am new to this site/forum. I recently purchased a 1940 Plymouth business coupe with my wife. It has the 201 flathead 6 in it. We actually have a pretty clean motor inside and out. Definately has been rebuilt in the last few decades. It sat for 8 years at the previous owners and he did not know if it ran. I, by trial and reading some of the forums, found out that the oil pump had been indexed wrong and I needed to rotate the dizzy 180 degrees. It might be important to notate that the rotor is in the 4 o'clock position when firing no 1 cylinder. I only mention this because I have heard it should be in the 7 o'clock position. I rebuilt the carter ball and ball and wired it up to have ignition, amm, starter, etc. I have verified that the spark sequence is correct as 1, 5, 3, 6, 2, 4. and it is correct. All of the plugs fire and no 1 tdc was verified before i put the head on and also afterward by using the plug on the head in cylinder 6. I cannot get the motor to fire or even act like it wants to fire. I have taken the intake and exhaust manifolds off and the valve covers to verify, with the head off, that all of the valves open and close in the correct timing. Visually it appears that none of them are bent. It also might be important to note that when i removed the intake manifold a lot of gas ran out possibly from me actuating the accelerator pump too much, however, why is this gas not entering the cylinders on intake? please help a harley mechanic on a motor I have never worked on before. Thanks guys/gals in advance