Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration ZZ Top vid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, May 14, 2018.

1. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Stogy likes this.
  2. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Love to see a rendition of it

3. 16 tons

4. That's a great tune!
    The lyrics are just great and tell a story.
    Life is a bit easier with them $15.99 come see me after midnight stockings, right?

I don't mind when you send money or bring your girlfriends with you,
    How could I be so though less than to handle less than 2 , that's alright .

mctim64, Stogy, oldsjoe and 1 other person like this.
  5. Billy's SG with the Flying V neck is pretty cool hadn't seen that one before. We share a last name so in both the hot rod and music community (where I originally worked) I get a lot of "like Billy" replys when I give my name.

oldsjoe and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  6. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

really appreciate that.But i was referring to the post by BLUES4U. But again i really appreciate it, i haven't seen that one much. i see the one with Jeff Beck more often

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    kiwijeff, 63fdsnr, Vonzemo and 2 others like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

image_322.jpg

1008sr_11_z+1958_ford_thunderbird+driver_side_front_view.jpg

[​IMG]

More ZZ

Credit to Photographers, Owners

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    kiwijeff, 63fdsnr, Vonzemo and 4 others like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Crank it up and see how YOU do.
    There's a lot going on for a guy that can only play cords

Truck64 likes this.
  12. CaptainComet

CaptainComet

I've been in a couple bands. One of the toughest things to do, before the Internet, was to attempt to translate old ZZ Top lyrics....
    "What did he mumble there!?! "
    Pick the needle back up and drop it again for one more try.
    If you don't believe me, try to pick out the last verse of Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers, without help. Then go look it up. Doesn't make a ton of sense either way.
    Cassettes helped a bit when they became popular ..... rewind, rewind, one more time, .... "Ok, I think I finally got it."
    My voice is right there with Billy's ... all whisky and cigarettes (and I don't smoke!).
    That means it's only really useful for ZZ Top songs and very little else, but I was able to give our guys that really could sing a short break.

Carzz -n- Guitarzz .... Life is too short to play with ballzz

Vonzemo, slowmotion and Blues4U like this.
  13. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

The eliminator coupe at the 1984 Detroit Autorama. 200.jpg

14. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool one, thanks for sharing !

15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Haha, Jimmy Vaughan looks about as uncomfortable as he could be. Foxy Lady is NOT Jimmy Vaughan material, LOL! Don't get me wrong, Jimmy is The Man, I LOVE Jimmy Vaughan. But that just aint his style. Jimmy plays traditional blues guitar, like nobody else can. 3 great guitar players, but 3 widely different styles. Jeff & Billy can mix reasonably well together, but both are rock guitarists with blues roots, Jimmy is 100% blues.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just was looking for ZZ material with a Hamb friendly Hotrods/Customs...this seemed to fit the bill albiet the sound was terrible.
    I guess when your being paid sometimes the job contains stuff you don't have a like for. It must have been the company that made him make that consession.

It certainly wasn't the greatest place for a jam session..

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Blues4U likes this.
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yep, on all the above. Dude is out of his comfort zone to play with his buds, earn some bucks, get some exposure to new fans, and hang around a car event. Sounds like a great day of work to me!

Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  18. image.gif
    Tonight 10th row seats, section 102.
    Small venue with 7000 capacity.
    My awesome wife surprised my with these this morning for an early Birthday present. Oh yeah and Friday night NHRA nationals seats too!!!

Stogy, Vonzemo, Ric Dean and 6 others like this.
  19. Nice! My wife surprised me with her mother's coming to visit.

20. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

I saw a Dan Rather interview with Billy this past weekend. Dan asked Billy what his favorite thing to do was when he wasn't playing music. His response was...."hangin' out with my hot rod friends".

Vonzemo, Truck64, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I get to go see them again next Tuesday. Along with Fogerty and Willie Nelson. I'm geeked!

Stogy, j hansen and oldsjoe like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Roger that!
    "From the oil and the gasolene".

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The wife and I seen them a few years back, the concert was in a ditch behind the MU football stadium they call the amphitheater.
    Anyway we had the cheep seats up the hill behind a fence.
    So the wife and I stood up against the fence so we could get as close as potable and dance to the music, then the security guard came over and told us to sit down( that was just settin in the grass ) so the people behind could see, I told him to kiss my ass, I didn't go to a concert to just set and watch.

24. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

25. Constructionbob

Constructionbob

..I think this one is fun!

Vonzemo, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  26. rgdavid

rgdavid

Thats makes you smile big time...love it.

27. Their look has slightly changed over the years but the music still kicks arse. HRP

upload_2018-6-28_10-3-15.jpeg

upload_2018-6-28_10-10-37.jpeg

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Roots. Listen to their first 3 albums and you'll get it.

Vonzemo and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. jazz1

jazz1

I saw them in '73, awesome!,,Slade opened for them, or Nazerath...'70's were blurry.
    Their music is classic and timeless.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  30. Great documentary and I think I get it, but maybe some wont. You either have to be old enough to have lived through some of that, or had family that did and passed the stories down or had some sort of interest or studies that involved music and the time period. I have some formal study of music and developed a particular interest in Blues. I'm a huge fan of Billy and ZZ Top and feel he is a phenomenal guitarist and a true blues influenced player. He developed a unique style of playing that incorporates traditional Delta blues riffs and phrasing mixed with his own brand of Texas boogie. There's nobody else like him, period. This might well become the official ZZ Top thread here on the HAMB, and there very well should be one because aside from being an 100% American made, certified bad ass rock and roll band, ZZ Top has probably done more on a grand scale to promote hot rods than any other music group in history. Their songs and videos are full of lyrics and images that relate the HAMB's credo of spreading the hot rod gospel to the world and are a testament to their love and adoration of the hot rod automobile. My introduction to their music came about back around 1973 right after the announcement of the end of mandatory draft. I was lucky enough to be able to pick up a guitar instead of an M-16 and shortly after heard ZZ's "Tres Hombres" album. It was a huge influence on me, not only in playing guitar but also learning more about Texas which eventually led to my moving there from New York in 1977. I never went back. Over the years I have collected all their music, attended many concerts and even have a pretty cool story about the day Billy walked into a shop I worked at in south Dallas back in the early eighties, which I will maybe tell later on cause this is getting a bit too wordy (sorry). This is the first ZZ Top song I learned to play on guitar and to this day whenever I crank it up while cruising in the ol flat head Ford, I cant keep my foot out of it. It's a "Supernatural Delight" !

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018