Register now to get rid of these ads!

Railroad Collectibles

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 19, 2018.

1. Brenda's granddad work for the Blue Ridge & the Southern railroad and these are some of the memorabilia we have saved.

These are the oil lamps we have.HRP

001.JPG
    002.JPG
    003.JPG
    008.JPG

wraymen, Nobey, 26 T Ford RPU and 3 others like this.
  2. These are 2 of the hats he wore over the years.

010.JPG
    011.JPG

wraymen, jakespeed63, Nobey and 7 others like this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Quite a collection. I can’t believe how the price of the caboose lanterns have increased over the years.
    Used to buy them for 35-40 bucks. Now you’re lucky to find them under 100.
    Have never seen any hats like that in Ohio. Really cool collection.

4. This is a memo that was given to the Conductor,Paul Fredericks on December 4,1938. HRP

Do not use northbound track at Seneca (S.C.) after 301 three naught one am Dec. 5th fifth until President Roosevelt's special has passed Seneca.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  5. I have 2 railroad ties, does that make me a railroad collector:) ?

6. I don't see any reason to think your not,you collect enough of them and you can build a railroad outhouse! :D

I have a two man cross tie carrier hanging in the rafters of my barn that looks like this. HRP

s-l1000.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    catdad49 and tractorguy like this.
  7. My wife has one of her dad's conductors watches that he never used and is still in the box it came in. He worked for Central Vermont RR and B&M

8. This is a photo of Paul & Mama Jessie,you will notice he is dressed in his Conductor suit and wearing one of the hats. HRP

Fredericks.jpg

9. If you look close you can see that Paul is giving the 32 sign. 3 fingers over 2 fingers. I know that is a stretch. But that is how Deuce guys think.:rolleyes:

10. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

This is about a mile down the street from me sitting and rotting in someone's backyard. The guy who lived there prior was a big RR collector. The yard at one time had crossing signals, switches, etc.

Last year I was looking for something unique to use as a pool house and started obsessing over moving it. Got a close up look and it is in real rough condition. Reality set in, in terms of what a giant undertaking restoring it would be both in time & $. Including moving it and laying a section of track for it to sit on. So I gave up on on the idea. 20180522_091405.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    LOST ANGEL and catdad49 like this.
  11. Man,you don't find them anymore. HRP

12. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I spent 43 yrs working for NYC-PC-CR-CSX, sure glad I'm retired

nice collection Danny

13. stingbean

stingbean

I see you're in Indy. My Grandpa was a conductor for the NYC-PC-CR and (If I remember right) he was working out of Elkhart when he retired in the 80's.

14. Vendome

Vendome

DSCI0179.JPG DSCI0179.JPG Built by The Chas. WM. Doepke Manufacturing Co. of Rossmoyne, Ohio, this ride on kids train was the cat's meow back in 1957. I found it in a newspaper ad back in 1981 for 200 bucks. No track but it did include two cars. Track is easy to make using flat stock and grooved ties cut with a table saw. It is powered by a 6 volt starter motor with a V-belt underneath that transfers power to the rear truck. Fabricated a bay window caboose that slips on one of the flat cars and uses existing holes already in the car sides so no extra drilling then painted for my favorite railroad. Never did set it up for my kids when they were little so maybe I should get off my duff and build track for my grandson!

Attached Files:

15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

How about a shot of your pole lamp whatever thing you have in front of your shop?

16. catdad49

catdad49

My Gramp worked for the D&H (Delaware&Hudson) RR in N.Y. and I have a brass lock that was left to me. Will get a pic later today. You guys have some great stuff!

17. Pull this from the bush on a long deserted line. It and other items such as Loco chassis' and coal tenders were dumped over the edge back in the 30's, it was a very interesting recovery and now resides on my back lawn. JW
    [​IMG]

wraymen, BLUSHU, Nostrebor and 7 others like this.
  18. You don't find too many cow catchers laying around,that's a nice piece. HRP

catdad49 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  19. catdad49

catdad49

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  20. That lock is nice and reminded me I have a old lock somewhere,now I gotta look for it! HRP

catdad49 likes this.
  21. catdad49

catdad49

Any time, Danny!^ Happy Hunting.

22. Dwardo

Dwardo

I think I have some old B&O magazines that were made for their employees. Is there any market for them?

23. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

My grandpa retired from Frisco as a Diesel Mechanic for their bus lines, and my dad and uncle both worked for the RR early in life. Dad has all of the collectibles though... We model railroaded hard core when I was a kid.

I have a few RR items kicking around, but oddly enough, none are Frisco Lines.

24. Eight of my Steam Loco bronze cab plates, I have more but are unrestored. JW
    [​IMG]

25. My two smoke box plates. They are off 4-8-2 J class Locos and both these Locos are still around. JW
    [​IMG]

26. And my two steam whistles. JW
    [​IMG]

27. Notices from an era long ago. JW
    [​IMG]

28. [​IMG] Also in the garden is this switch/signal lever. JW

29. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was a locomotive mechanic for Southern Pacific in the 70s. Still have some neat ol stuff, switch locks and barrel keys, locomotive reverser handles that when hinge cut off makes great dipstick handle. My uncle retired after 45 years with SP and they gave him an old Pullman that he set up on rails in Sanger Ca. and lived in until his death. Dont know what everhappened to the railcar but its gone now. I really enjoyed working there.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.