Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford Model A 4 banger help...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nos1partstore, May 14, 2018.

1. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Trying to decide whether or not to try and get the 4 banger running in my model a coupe or not. I woukd like to make it a driver with upgrades brakes....what do yoy guys run for trans, rearend, etc. The engine turns easily by hand....what do you all think?
    20180505_134651.jpg 20180505_193005.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim and barrnone50 like this.
  2. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I am running Boling Brothers wet brakes, T5 transmission with open driveline, and a stroked banger engine.
    I vote to keep the banger, but I am biased.

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

get it running and have some fun while you make the long range plans.

4. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Those that I know who run the old Model 4 bangers say the T-5's really wake em up.

13clicks likes this.

5. Dead simple to tinker with. I vote, get it reliably running and prep for your bigger plan. You can relatively cheaply do that too. A complete gasket set, have the head planed, and electronic ignition, and you are running around town. If you want to wake it up with a header and downdraft or a cam, then you have to balance end value. In the end a running and driving banger will bring more $$ to put back into the project than a non running or unknown. Top off the lubes in the trans and rear, make sure all linkages are adjusted and have fun for a bit.

osage orange likes this.
  6. Get it running and drive it around awhile with the original transmission and rear end if they are useable. It takes a little practice to drive a non synchro transmission but find someone to show you, you will get the hang of it quick.

Charlie Stephens

osage orange likes this.
  7. ydopen

ydopen

I have a Tudor that I have driven 25,000 miles. I did mods as I went along. I rebuilt the engine and have never had problems or breakdowns on the road.

John

osage orange likes this.
  8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Check the oil situation.
    Get some friends to push you up and down the driveway to check for compression.
    Get it running and drive it.

Then think about Juice brakes, Ignition upgrades, and a downdraft carb as a stage 1 buildup.

9. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My brother bought a chopped '29 with a banger. Plan was to install a 24 stud flathead. He spent a couple hours getting the banger going, just to make it mobile, and it turned to be so much fun he spent all of last summer tooling around in it. Give it a try! If they turn over, those old bangers want to run.

Tim, osage orange and Jet96 like this.
  10. If it spins over it will run. Make the spark work, rebuild the carb and run it.

osage orange likes this.
  11. Car looks like a fine starting point but I would say put a V8 in it. What V8 is your thing but a a flathead would be fun. That and chop that thing down some.
    Cool start!

12. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Get it running! I have a 29 Roadster with the Model A running gear with the exception of juice brakes and a downdraft intake and carb. I have a model b motor waiting a rebuilt, I also have a rebuilt model b trans with 39 gears, Riley 4 port head and Halibrand Quickchange. These are th[​IMG]ings I'm going to work on. In the meantime I can drive my A.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    dwollam, Bleach, osage orange and 3 others like this.
  13. 97

If it hasn't been running in a while you should take the distributor out and pour a quart of oil down the hole . This will ensure that the bearings have oil right from the start...There is NO direct oil feed to the bearings from the pump. All pump does is put oil into the timing chest and the bearings receive oil by gravity and the conrod dippers from there. There is one flaw to this and that is if the engine has had moisture inside, the dipper pan can possibly have rust holes ...the oil will drain out faster than it arrives and the big ends will starve....

Tim, winduptoy and osage orange like this.
  14. If it has been sitting for several years, drop and clean the oilpan. could be like molasses in there put sow up fine on dipstick.

15. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I second both of those last two comments. Mine had the goop in the pan and the rusted holes in the dipper tray. I also agree that you would enjoy resurrecting it and running it.

16. bangerbob

bangerbob

My banger, 5.5 head, braised intake with 6 banger carb.. juice brakes. Rest stock tapatalk_1520258811819.jpeg 20170118_073600.jpg 20170118_073616.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. 1930BeachRat

1930BeachRat

I know I’m jumping in here really late but what rear end are you running then? T5 with the OG rear end? Or new gears in the OG rear end? Thanks!

18. oldsman41

oldsman41

1930 beach rat you can run the rear that came in it just by running open driveshaft to a kit for said drive shaft the banger wont hurt the rear and the t5 just keeps the rpm in a nice area. Even warmed up a little and you might get 75 horsepower wont break it.

Stkman likes this.
  19. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

My coupe has a "B" engine and transmission, with a '40 rear end.

20. 97

The banger probably won't break the rear gears , but if you use the open driveshaft it is the banger torque not the horsepower you need to be wary of, even a stock banger will break the radius rods if you remove the torque tube .
    The best way is to keep the torque tube and get a conversion adapter for the back of the gearbox. That way the suspension is not compromised, AND even though it is quite expensive, you can always sell the conversion if you decide to change out the running gear and motor at a later date.... I don't think you will lose money when you resell.
    If it were mine, I would go with '32-'36 front axle, reversed eye stock springs ( maybe a few leaves less ) , '33/'34 mechanical brakes with Flathead Ted's brake energizers front and rear, ( www.flatheadted.com ) . Model A rear axle with 3.27 gears or a quick change, and 16 inch '35 wire wheels. Stock wishbone and radius rods . You can either use an aftermarket bell housing with a wishbone mount for the T5 or a stock bell housing with an adapter plate. The closed drive (torque tube) speed conversion uses a S10 4wd gearbox case , minus the transfer case.and usually Mustang or Camaro V6 gears , with an adapter for the torque tube and universal. The torque tube needs shortening some.
    Warm up the banger as you see fit.
    I doubt you will ever bother putting the V8 into the car.
    Most of all subscribe to the monthly Banger meet here on the HAMB.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/august-2018-banger-meet-banger-driving-weather.1116511/

barrnone50 likes this.
  21. oldsman41

oldsman41

Yeah that works too. Ive seen hi boy with the banger running gear and the guy lowered the wish bone in the rear and still used open drive made his mounting brat at the rear of trans and the bones hooked to the bracket. It really is hard to beat a wishbone imo.

22. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I am running the T5 with the radius arms attached to a bracket hanging under the trans. Radius arms are not stock, beefed up tubing. If mine break it will surprise me.

23. 1930BeachRat

1930BeachRat

Where did you get the bell housing for the T5? And does the input shaft/ clutch arrangement the same? Thank you

24. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Bought a kit from a fellow down in Sheppardsville KY for the conversion. Stock A bellhousing, plate adaptor for tranny to bellhousing, new pilot adaptor. All comes with his kit. Sells mainly to the stock Model A guys I think. I will get you his contact info when I get home.