Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cigar Shop Items

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by turdmagnet, May 15, 2018.

1. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

My great grandfather had a cigar shop in Waterloo Ontario back in the 20's. Attached are a couple of things I've been fortunate enough to inherit. The first is a where his store was - between the Lyric theater and the Electric Shop. The next is a cigar lighter that was placed on the counter and when the red button was pushed the sign would light up and the element at the top would glow red to light the cigar. The box below is what my grandfather used to make and sell there. Its called a "Smokers Coffin" due to the shape, but it you lifted the outer portion of the box it would dispense 1 cigarette and one match. The other photo is the hockey team he sponsored.

Cheers
    Koehler Cigar Store.jpg Cigar Lighter.JPG Pops Hockey.JPG garette

2. I collect pocket knives(see the Edged Tools thread)and among them are bits of cigar and pipe tools. Here are some of them. 5SmokersTools1.jpg AristocobPipe 001.jpg Brookes&CrookesMultiBlade1.JPG C.S.OsborneNewarkNJCigarBoxKnife1.JPG CigarCutters 002.jpg CigarCutters 003.jpg CigarCutters 004.jpg CigarCutters 005.jpg CigarCutters 006.jpg CigarCutters 007.jpg CigarCutters 008.jpg CigarCutters 009.jpg CigarCutters 010.jpg HenckelsCigarBoxOpener1.jpg MelbaJohn 001.jpg MelbaJohn 002.jpg OnmarkedCigarCutter-4 001.jpg R.L.ParkerCo.BurlingtonVtCigarBoxKnife1.JPG R.L.ParkerCo.BurlingtonVtCigarBoxKnife2.JPG Brookes&CrookesMultiBlade2.JPG

3. I've got quite a bit of smoking items, once I figure out how to post pics on here (not as simple as other sites) I'll post some of mine.

4. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

I am not exactly sure these fit here but since they look like cigars I thought I would post them. These are late 1800s - early 1900s figural cigar whiskey nips. You could carry the cigar in your pocket, pull the cork out of the end and take a nip. They could have easily been sold in either a cigar shop or a liquor store. Most are 5" long and a few are 7 1/2". All that I have seen are in this amber color glass. Once in a while you will see one with a paper label.

20170301_170855 (800x600).jpg 20180518_115856 (800x600).jpg

F&J and tb33anda3rd like this.
  5. Those are unique,and to be honest I have never seen one before much less 7 of them. HRP

maplefrm likes this.
  6. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Thanks for sharing! As a pipe smoker, I especially liked the antique folding pipe tools. I've been threatening to sit down at the jewelry bench & design one for myself. Maybe yours will inspire me to get started.

7. I’ve nothing antique but boy, I do love me some cigars......

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. Back in 2007 deployed to Kosovo we smoked a lot of Cuban cigars and they were good.

crminal likes this.