Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 390 car hoard for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CapeCodBob, May 17, 2018.

1. I see others have posted but just want to let any interested HAMBERS know that Jeff is putting cars on his auction site now. You can Google 390 cars for sale , or just visit his site. Wished I was up his way.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  2. topher5150

topher5150

i think a link to the site would work better

3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Who is Jeff? I know at least 3 HAMBers with that name. And a few more non-HAMB guys named Jeff.

chryslerfan55 and 56don like this.
  4. Yeah, whothahell is Jeff?

5. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

There was a thread about this a while back. The guy doing the video knows nothing about the cars he's showing you.

6. The auction is at elderlyiron.com, Jeff Bradshaw is running it for Don Babb who used to stamp Ford parts in Palmdale , CA. Google maps at 8926 E Evans Creek Rd, Rogue River, Oregon, 97537 . This is his first vid and thats all I am going to post .

7. egads

egads

Damn, don't listen to them, show all of this you can get!!!

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who is this guy? He called a '36 Ford a "'38 or '39" and then said a '53 Ford sedan delivery was a '56 and then I quit watching. If this guy is supposed to be an expert, I'm the King of England.

chryslerfan55 and bobss396 like this.
  9. Well Jeff posted two U tube videos reciently. He posted that has sold a number of those vehicles of one. and he posted another video featuring a 63 gal 500 XL convertible. supposed to be a original 390 -4 speed car. However to my eyes the engine don't look original. It has 65 or 66 valve covers . the flat & angular ones without the power by ford script that the 67 had. and it had a valve cover oil fill and PCV. a 63 Xl should have gold rounded no hole valve covers with block THUNDERBIRD lettering and a oil fill tube in the intake manifold. and most likely a road draft tube. the galaxie was priced at $11,500?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

Don Babb used to set up at Reno swap meet. Nice guy. I bought 27 ford roadster trunk parts that he stamped. Great quality. He was in the movie Dirty Dozen.

11. Jeff Bradshaw is more of a 55 thru 59 GMC enthusiast. He collects them and has a few 4 wheel drive NAPCO trucks.

12. egads

egads

The guy also said at the very beginning that if he got the years wrong to let him know.( this crowd is getting rougher every day)

13. SR100

SR100

He wants us to do his work for him? He seems to be phoning it in on the 'auction' too. About half a dozen cars listed, not 390. I was interested in a Falcon convertible. One photo & he didn't even bother cleaning the junk off of it. No drivetrain data either. Pass.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From a rust belt Ontario, Ca standpoint that is a treasure trove and unbelievable to see...Despite the issues hopefully anyone interested in this stuff gets what they want at a fair shake...holy moley...what a stash...thanks for sharing that @CapeCodBob

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and egads like this.
  15. Having bought and sold a lot of project vehicles over the decades I learned one fact. Many times the folks who really want this kind of stuff do not have the money. And the folks who have the money don't want them unless everything is perfect. And as us folks who grew up with the older vehicles are now dying off its getting much harder to find a ready willing & able buyer.

kjmmm, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  16. And it's not really an auction if the cars and parts are starting at high opening bids.

Old wolf likes this.
  17. egads

egads

High opening bid? The cars's start out at 500. 00to 1000.00. 63 galaxie 500 convert start's at 5000.00. What's high about that? (If this stuff was mine and I got this kind of attitude I'd bring in a crusher !! )

chryslerfan55 and craig b blue like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are quite reasonable for starting bids but there should be several pics to show overall cond...

I guess its an auction with reserve prices ...that is an auction...or it may be unreserved but the highest bid wins but if you want to buy before the end you pay the buyout price...

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    egads likes this.
  19. Like on E bay something might have a low starting bid but a high reserve. I like to go to a auction and they start a whatever someone will offer and take what it actually brings no reserve. They should just have those Vanderbrink folks come and auction them off and be done with it. What is gonna happen is the better vehicles will sell and the culls remain. That's whats happening with my Hoard. I am selling the more desirable stuff and the remaining stuff will go for scrap. Some folks got upset because we shot up a rusty 57 chevy cab. However I have 4 solid 55 thru 59 cabs I cant even sell.

20. SR100

SR100

He'd probably make more having an onsite auction, but many of the old guys who built these hoards don't want a couple hundred people tramping all over their place. They'd also have to pull half of the cars out of each building so that the cars could be examined/decent photos could be taken. I do think Wolf has hit on the likely outcome. The problem is that if the culls end up with non-'car guy' heirs, they are likely to be scrapped, and no one wants that.
    There are a lot more listings today than when I first looked, but the photos are just as bad, even for outdoor cars, where access isn't a problem. I suspect that the Buy it Now prices are pretty close to the reserve. One thing about reserve auctions, they consistently attract fewer bids.
    In the end, the person that Jeff needs to please is Don Babb, not any of us.

chryslerfan55 and Old wolf like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did it say there was reserve? It was not very clear...if any of that ends up scrap its a shame...:(...he did say it would take a while.

22. On his U tube video he stated the price of the 63 was $11,500?

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Old wolf, there is a 63 up for auction and it has a buyout of 12k with a bid I think around 1G and it says reserve not met...I was thinking buyout was not same as reserve...and yes reserves sorta suck. I guess bid your max and see if it beats the reserve.

But with higher bids again they should provide pics if requested to the best of their capability...this it a huge dollar operation they should have a good camera.

Good luck again to all involved.

24. steel3window

steel3window
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello everyone,

I am assisting with the organizing and cataloging of parts and incomplete cars on the property, and I can tell everyone, it is an overwhelming task.

I am not involved with any of the vehicle sales, and do not know Jeff's process, but I do know that due to the sheer volume and how tightly packed everything is,(coupled with the mushy ground untill it dries out) it will be quite a process. And yes, Jeff acknowledges his mistakes and lack of year/model knowledge in the original video, as he is a postwar truck guy.

There is also the fact of locating and matching up titles to cars and frames, which Jeff is working on. Difficulty exists because some doors cannot be opened to inspect VIN's due to being tightly packed, and the bare frames and incomplete cars create a number beyond the 390 complete ones, as well as additional cars and parts existing on two additional properties at another location. On my end (incomplete prewar cars and individual parts) I have found over a dozen bare Model A frames so far, not including partially assembled and complete vehicles, not including other years and makes.

Currently no parts are for sale as the team assesses the best route of action. As of now, there is nowhere near enough space to spread out parts to sell them at auction.

Yes, there is that much stuff.

For example; last week I counted 64 Model A doors a few dozen pairs of '34 doors (of all varieties), and several sets of '35-'36 doors in one building alone. There are several places they are stored, and yes, there is much more than doors in these locations on the property. No, there are no '32 Ford parts or cars that I have been able to locate this far, as the owner did not like them. (Yea, I know, but to each their own)

I originally was going to wait untill things were more organized before posting, but I felt that before the bashing got going and got this post closed like what happened on the post with the first video that this is a good time to chime in.

Please address all of your questions regarding complete cars to Jeff via his website elderlyiron.com or email [email protected]

Thank you all for your patience and understanding, as well as your excitement for another great opportunity for the parts and cars we love to become available.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @steel3window...those that are interested in this sale of massive proportions will appreciate you chiming in. I really hope this stuff gets out to those that need it. I'm sure you have probably not witnessed something this unique.

steel3window likes this.
  26. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

Knowing Don Babb and being privy to his collection, I can say with some authority that this sale is one of those once-in-a-lifetime opportunities true hot rodders dream of. He has literal piles of 30-31 fenders which he stamped himself; these aren't the lousy repros you can buy at the Model A parts stores - these are perfect replicas using the original Ford dies. His property is a former dairy farm with many acres of barn storage filled beyond imagination with classic cars. We complain that hoarders never sell their stuff - well now he's selling, so shut your trap and open your wallet!

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  27. When I open my Wallet its as empty as Al Capones Vault nothing but moths fly out. I fit the category that wants the stuff but don't have the money.

28. The trouble with auctions that have reserves is you might have the bid and the person holding the auction can & does bid against you. Your bidding against a ghost. Theres a 1963 &1/2 Galaxie 500 and parts car & extra parts at Bakersfield Mo. price of $4500. PH417-372-0743. still more money than I can afford.

29. yep I just looks at the website. only one poor quality picture. Most haven't got a single bid at a $1000 starting price. And he needs to get rid of the barn find description. Barn Find is a worn out phrase that describes nothing equal to Ready to Restore. Theses are not barn finds . They are a hoarders collection.

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can be standing near a live bid upping machine (someone in cahoots with the auctions or the owner) and I am not suggesting its happening here. Problem with that is the crooked one may end up with the goods so the plan backfires. Electronically it can happen too.

Hopefully all will be fair in price and the way it is auctioned.

I guess if one can get there to see the stuff and they genuinely want it its easy to let the hokey pokey go thru one and out the other as that cherry car part is genuine...

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and Old wolf like this.