Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Roof section prices?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XtechX, May 19, 2018.

1. XtechX

XtechX
    from Edmore, MI

How much are your salvage yards charging for roof sections. My local yard wants $200 for the roof off a ‘59 Edsel wagon. It’s has some good lines in it, but regardless is that too much to pay? I’m not sure because I see if you buy one pre made its any where from $200-$500.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Terrible80

Terrible80

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Im sure there are not to many edsel wagon roofs out there. Seems fair to me.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  4. The stock one will fit.If you need it it`s a fair price

5. Seems logical to receive a small fee to get the roof out of the guys way. :D:p

Completely irrational, but logical

200 is not out of line. If you had a 59 Edsel wagon that needed a roof you'd be paying the guy more and you'd both be happy

6. XtechX

XtechX
    from Edmore, MI

It’s for my coupe roof ... talk about irrational! At no time did I say I wanted it for free. I simply asked a question regarding the going rate for a roof section. It didn’t matter if it was that roof or any other roof, all the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

$200 for something you need seems reasonable to me. If it was something I needed to complete a project I'd pay it in a NY minute
    Gary

chryslerfan55 and mikhett like this.
  8. $200 in todays money is a pittance. Scrap car bodys are now up to $200 a ton. So a lot more old stuff will be crushed.

chryslerfan55 and F&J like this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Having a bad day , maybe ?:(

10. williebill

williebill

If it was me, I'd be glad as hell to pay that for something I wanted/needed for my project.
    Or go down the street and see what they're selling for at Walmart. Maybe you can find one on Amazon.

chryslerfan55 and 50 customcoupe like this.
  11. I think the price is a steal. You'd pay that much just to cut the roof off of the car.

12. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i paid 150 for a 99 suburban roof and there are lots of them around

13. I would find me a wreck ( any wreck ) somewhere close to home for $200 , cut the roof out and then re-sell the rest for $300 . Thats what i would do.:p

Terrible80 likes this.
  14. Scrap steel isn't 200 a ton, it's up a bit but if it hits 200 a ton again I'm gonna scrap all kinds of stuff.

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The point is you have picked an Edsel roof. If it was my salvage yard and I had an Edsel station wagon in it that was in any way restorable , no way would I cut it up to get a lousy $200 for the roof.

16. oldolds

oldolds

Once he cuts the roof off the anything that is saleable inside the car will be junk shortly. IE dash seat frames ect. As said above he is the guy that saved it from being crushed so far. Sounds like a fair price to me.

RMR&C and Hnstray like this.
  17. Vanness

Vanness

Offer 500 for the car. Take the roof and sell what you don’t need. Win win.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  18. Seems like a lot of money to me, but I'm still living in the '50's and haven't caught up with the times. As I read the responses, it looks like that is a reasonable price.

19. 48stude

48stude

30 yrs ago I bought an AD truck for $ 150. Cut the roof off and used it to aid in the chop of my avatar. Kept the doors and had a junk guy pick the rest up for free. Gave the doors to a young guy last year. I'd pay the 2 bills in a heart beat. Just my opinion, Bill

20. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Just bought a sheet of 4' X '10' sheet of 20 ga. $80.00 with tax. A 4' X 4' cost almost as much with there labor to cut it. I will most likely screw up the first one trying to wheel it anyway. If it is close to the right shape $200 not a bad deal.

21. X-cpe

X-cpe

Seems to me that XtechX was just trying to do a little cost research for a one time purchase. Most of us are willing to pay the going rate (well, actually get a bargain) for what we want, not provide the seller with a steak and lobster dinner at a 5 star restaurant. Sometimes the going rate for what we want is too high and we have to go with plan B.

The other thing that happens as we age is that the price of things obtain a "set point" somewhere in our younger days. It galls me to pay a dollar and a quarter for what I see as a nickle candy bar. But I still want the candy bar, so......

22. williebill

williebill

If I want it bad enough, I don't give a shit how many steak and lobster dinners the seller gets off of me.
    I want it, he has it, I buy it. Or save up for the next one that comes along. Oh, and I don't make a helluva lot of money, but if you want to play...... Pretty dang simple.

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Don't recall the shop's name right now, but there is a shop that preforms metal panels for most popular coupes and sedans, and I've seen them mentioned here. Might be worth a search. Keep thinking something like "Walden" or similar.

24. rgdavid

rgdavid

Just buy it !! Its there available.
    Count your self lucky there are parts,
    I dream of a early ford front axle ..not gonna get one here in france and if i found one it would be at 5 times what you would pay, bloody collecters prices.

25. Jerry Waker from Newport ark is paying $200 per ton for car bodys. He owns a multi million dollar shredder. the local scrap man in Pocahontas is paying 8 cents per pound for car bodys and heavy scrap like appliances.

26. $200 is a no brainer for that roof.

The last roof I bought out of a you pick yard was $65 and I had to cut it and carry it myself.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I saw a photo here recently of Edsel station wagon tailites and I exclaimed "glad I'm not looking for those".
    Now I realize you don't necessarily have to have an Edsel roof section but you know if you don't grab that roof, the guy that really needs it will be glad to pay it.
    It could sit there for years or be gone overnight.

28. I paid $120 for an '86 Toyota minivan roof about eight years ago.
    Both the junkyard owner and I were pleased with the deal.:)
    Roof 01.JPG DSC05926.JPG Roof 13.JPG

29. redo32

redo32

Walden gets $600 for a model A roof panel. New metal shaped to fit, no stripping paint, rust or undercoat.