Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '32 Engine upgrade.....advice needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G-Man7, May 18, 2018.

1. G-Man7

G-Man7

So I am looking to upgrade the stock 302 HO engine in my 1932 roadster. Am not sure of the actual numbers, but it is likely around 190-210HP, ? torque. This would have been a crate engine from 17 years ago. I would describe it as having mild "pep", so enough to spin the tire for a second or two from standstill but not much else. Acceleration is ok, nothing great. I've had the timing, carb, etc. checked by a reliable mechanic, so that's not the issue.

Specs: 2001 302 HO engine with 16k miles, mated to a C4 auto transmission and 8" rear end with drum brakes. Stock manifold and 1406 edelbrock carb. At some point there was a 9" posi-track on it but the previous owner removed it. I know I could throw money at this engine, but by the time you factor in costs of the add ons, it is still a relatively old engine with a questionable history, and a new engine is a bit more, and I am ok with it.

I am looking to stay in the ford family, so this is not a chevy vs. ford vs. old look vs. new look debate please. Not interested in the type of engine, just answers regarding torque and hp.

Here's my question: how much engine is enough for you? I know it is ambiguous, and I know there will be answers all over the board, but I am interested in hearing what people have to say about this. I see lots of 350-400hp engines in these cars. I see some folks with flatheads and 100hp who are perfectly happy as well. I see the occasional guy with 600+hp. At what point does handling become an issue? I understand I will have to upgrade the transmission and rear end. Suggestions are appreciated here as well.

I am talking to a builder who specializes in ford stroker motors, and he is discussing a 408 or 427 build with, for me anyway, crazy sounding HP and torque numbers. Somewhere around 550 ft. lbs of torque.

This is a drive around the neighborhood, countryside and weekends out type car. Not for racing, but who doesn't enjoy going fast? Fortunately at my age, unlike my younger self, I now enjoy staying safe as well.

Let me know if I forgot any info, and thanks for the replies!

2. Budget36

Budget36

The engine only has 16K on it? I'd think a good cam and a nice set of heads would wake it up....be a lot less expensive than having a stroker motor built for it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. G-Man7

G-Man7

Thanks for the reply! Have looked at that, but for now am interested in seeing what everyone has to say about how much torque and HP is enough for you.

4. Put a Chevy in your Ford ! LOL :D

5. G-Man7

G-Man7

And just like that we are off topic!

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

A b303 roller cam and gt-40 heads should wake up the little 302.... I've done that swap before and it made a hell of a difference.....:):):cool::):)
    Horsepower wise??? Probably about 275-300 ponies...;)

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Is a Boss 302 on topic enough for you.
    I'm a Chevy guy but that's the direction I'd go if I wasn't.

8. keeping it all Ford , good for you... ;)

King ford likes this.
  9. G-Man7

G-Man7

Thanks!

10. G-Man7

G-Man7

It is, thank you. Just an observation, for that money I would custom build a 351W or 408. Much more low end torque and better motor. But that goes back to my question of how much is too much?

11. Been said above .... lifelong 5.0 guy here .... showing my off topic colors. Some cam, heads, exhaust, and gears make huge differences in 302's.

How do I know ? An original member of off topic Dallas Mustangs. I can't tell you how many junkyard shortblock 5.0s had made it under my Trick Flow 265 heads and injection unit.

I blew up plenty of them bracket racing under a 11.5 second index. You can do your own math, on your exceptionally lighter car.

Give your 302 lungs .... it'll scream. It's a very fun, short stroke engine.

verno30 and F&J like this.
  12. What gears are in the 8" rear end? You can wake the engine up with that combo with 3:50 or 3:73 gears. I will get into the power band a lot quicker if that is what your looking for. That will not make it as interstate friendly but will more than chirp the tires when you want to, it will start a smoke storm if you stay on it.

partssaloon and X38 like this.
  13. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

A stock roller 5.0/302 should spin the tires at will in a '32. I'm planning on it.

Intake, cam, carb, headers, exhaust system, rear gears. What are they? You have something not in sync. That engine is only broken in with 16,000 miles. I think money spent on a stroker on the street is wasted if you don' occasionally plan to race it. Bragging rights only.

Heads, intake and cam should wake up the engine at a fraction of the cost.

What ignition system is on it?

What gears are in the rear?

SPark

14. robracer1

robracer1

My 32 roadster has a 302 stock block with gt4o heads. headers, Elderbrock 2x4s set up and Pertronix distributor with c4 trans and 331 gear. Well the cars weights about 2200 lb so the weight horsepower ratio is pretty good, I don't know what my HP is, all I know the 32 has plenty of power driving on streets and with a c4 trans with a 331 gear and 31" tall rear tire at 70 mph I'm turning around 2700 rpms. So I have the best of both worlds
    I did try to make the engine look bad ass so no one would want to start a race with me DSC02724.JPG

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  15. Exactly x 2.

The discussion is semi meaningless with out knowing the diff ratio.

16. G-Man7

G-Man7

Actually, that's not even the question I asked, so it is completely meaningless.....

17. From what you are describing, the diff ratio would have a significant effect on your sense of "pep."

It may not have been the specific question you asked, but the differential ratio is a very important piece of information in the overall scheme of things.

warhorseracing and robracer1 like this.