Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Do I need a brake power booster?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by LIVFRD, May 18, 2018.

1. LIVFRD

LIVFRD

'54 F100, swapped the stock front drums for disc conversion kit from Speedway (11" '76-'81 Dodge Aspen brake rotors and GM single piston iron calipers (7/16"-20 inlets) from a '70-'77 Camaro).

Kept the original drums in the rear. Engine is 239 Y-block.

When converting the master cylinder over, do I need a brake power booster or is a new dual chamber with proportioning valve sufficient? I would like to keep the master cylinder mounted where it it (under the floorboards)

Thanks for any advice.

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My son did this on his '55 F100, his M/C is still under the floor, original pedals. He used a Maverick dual master cyl. with the proportioning valve. Excellent, in fit and performance...
    His info came from the disc brake company (three initials, can't remember them) they have all the info on line.
    Biggest thing was the price savings he gets, using on line "ROCK AUTO". I've used them for various things, especially engine gaskets and some 'hard parts' for my 406 F.E.

lothiandon1940 and LIVFRD like this.
  3. George

George

the booster just reduces the effort involved.

LIVFRD likes this.
  4. LIVFRD

LIVFRD

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

there are power boosters that will mount under floor - look at performanceonline.com, and others - make sure that motor has proper vacuum rating to use power booster

6. squirrel

squirrel

depends how strong your legs are. I don't have any problem with manual disc brakes, but some folks do.

The dual master cylinder isn't really necessary, but most folks add one, just because. Make sure you pay attention to the bore size of the MC if you change it, 1" bore will make it easier to operate the brakes. If you do add a dual cylinder, also make sure the system will make pressure while you have a bleeder open on one side. Otherwise, adding the dual was a complete waste of effort.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CPP? ABS? Both do retro fit brake upgrades. Sure there's others, but those are 3 letter versions that I can recall.

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/

http://www.classicperform.com/

In my limited experience if you're going to have a booster a 7" single is pretty much like not having one! 8" dual gives good assistance.

Chris

Special Ed likes this.
  8. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

i did 4 wheel disk on my f100..no booster works fine....you can get a master with electric booster built in that makes a nice system.....mite be the way to go if you are not wanting to push hard on the brakes....

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

AMB American Master Brakes or MBS Master Brake Service or systems?

10. I used one on the wife's Ranch Wagon but I don't use them on my hot rods. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

79CC5F37-81A6-4040-8992-9EFDD25068D2.jpeg My ‘65 Country Seadan has front disc and stock rear drums, with a non-power dual master cylinder. Car stops just fine. Bones

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

ECI Maybe?

Frank Carey and bct like this.
  13. I'm running non-powered discs on the front of my '59 Ford and it stops easily enough.

14. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

Booster under floor,disc in front use 2lb to front if you keep drums in back use adjustable proportion to rear and a 10lb to rear. If calipers are higher than master they will bleed back to master.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. alchemy

alchemy

ECI is a very good company for brakes and parts.