Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Every thing went great till the clear coat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, May 17, 2018.

1. Using 2k urethane, 2 coats with pearl in clear, then 2 coats clear. Clear has lots of orange peal and seems dry. Pull it in the sun and it looks pretty smooth. I know I can cut and buff the orange peal but will dry spots cut and buff? Thanks. IMG_2020.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Vanness

Vanness

Ugh; been there. Did it dry to quick or was not wet or possibly too hot outside? How recent was it shot? Can you put a wet coat down ?

3. Shot with a turbine system so probably too hot,used slow reducer but went on dry. Shot on Tuesday ,already took down the temp booth I made in the garage and am out of clear. That is the worst spot on the car though.

4. Vanness

Vanness

When it’s wet it flows or levels nice. As long as it doesn’t run. I sometimes like to get it to run almost as it’s easier being too wet instead of too dry. If that makes sense.

5. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

There are more things that can go wrong with paint jobs than marriages

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like you don't have compete coverage to buff it out, is it still in time for a top shot of clear?

7. JimSibley

JimSibley

If you got 2 coats of straight clear over 2 coats of pearl clear, it should buff. I would block it 75% out with 1000, then block it smooth with 1500, finish off with a quick sand in 2000 and buff it. It should be fine.

stillrunners and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. spanners

spanners

Either way you will probably have to block it smooth, whether you buff it or recoat. By the look of it your clear coats didn't have enough reducer. You will probably say that you used a measuring cup to get the quantities right which is ok. Through experience clear coat whether it's 2 pak or acrylic needs a bit more thinner to spray correctly. Always have an old panel nearby to test spray. If orange peely, put a bit more thinner in till you are happy with it.

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It seems a sand with 500 to remove orange peel and are there more foreign bodies like those on the shadow edge on the right? Spray two more wetter thinner coats on after sanding masking and cleaning . I am afraid sanding this amount of peel thoroughly on only 2 coat will rub through. the dust will most likely sand off.

10. southcross2631

southcross2631

Wet sand it out. starting with 600 and then got to 1000 and then 1500 and then 2000. It is screwed up any way so if you sand through you will have to fix those spots and then more clear .
    How hot was it what was the humidity ? Down in Florida we had to spray early in the morning or late at night to avoid dry spray . The paint would dry in the air between the gun and the car no matter how much it got thinned. My shop would get to 110 plus in the summer in the afternoon.

11. zzford

zzford

True. But you don't need a lawyer to fix a bad paint job.

Speedwrench, King ford and Dave Mc like this.
  12. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

That may depend on if you did it or got screwed by someone you paid to do it for you

13. 8F58B447-576F-40A0-94B3-80BCE87DE662.jpeg This is why I NEVER do PAINT! Friends (professionals) have trouble and often have to re-do! I can handle the building of a hot rod, but will NEVER attempt to apply paint.

14. Well there might be hope. Went over it with 1500 and just gave it a quick hand rub with Meguiars ultra cut 105 to see how it looked. Heck of a lot better then it did before. Need to finish the rest , hit it with the buffer to see if the shine comes all the way back. IMG_2027.JPG

stillrunners likes this.
  15. I always says that’s what sandpaper, compound, and a wool pads for....as long as you have enough clear to flat sand it and rub it you should be ok.

16. Yep I guess sandpaper’s your friend. Looking pretty good for only my 3rd ever paint job. IMG_2034.JPG

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    stillrunners and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. JimSibley

JimSibley

It will be fine. Sand it out, the finer the grit , the less you need to buff. I would finish it in 2000 at least, buff it and , bam!

18. perezlt1

perezlt1
    from texas

Your probably the only guy that hasn't met my ex wife.

Dave Mc likes this.