Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs First pics of the golden Sahara in decades

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just like a Vette...no room for the suitcase...What do you expect for $75K.

Joking aside These are things that car makers grapple with. People want space. I guess
    Street may have been more trying to sell his Technological ideas rather than the car itself.
    I just think that may have contributed to the interest of that not succeeding at the time.
    That stuff would take up much less room now. Back then they couldn't make it smaller. Again just
    my thoughts...Cool pic @stanlow69

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It would be awesome to see Moriarity clunk, whirr and whiz the Golden Sahara into a parking spot at his favorite breakfast joint on a Sunday morning. Yes indeed.

gonmad, Sancho, drdave and 4 others like this.
  3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I presume the car was still 6 volts.

Stogy likes this.
  4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

j'jeff 12V was common by 55. I'd assume his penchant for the electronics advanced it to that.

Anybody know if the truck is still around? I like it more than either car, but I'm weird like that.

Stogy, cactus1 and Moriarity like this.
  5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^ I too, think the hauler is awesome. Looks to have had some tasteful custom work done to it including a full interior including headliner (which was quite an upgrade from an all steel factory interior!).
    According to this HAMB thread, Jim Street retained the truck. This makes sense as he seemed to be an individual who (could afford to) build and buy but never sell things.

It will be darn interesting to see if it also goes up on the Mecum block! IMHO, I believe the truck should stay with the Golden Sahara. Ideally, Mecum would pair them up in the same lot. If that doesn't happen, I hope the truck is in a lot after the Golden Sahara, so the buyer of the Golden Sahara has an opp to also go after the truck.
    This leads me to wonder if the Street collection also holds Jim's boat!?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/larry-watsons-golden-sahara-hauler-ford-c900.382537/
    LARRY WATSON'S GOLDEN SAHARA HAULER FORD C900

Yes, the truck still exists and has since been recustomized. It belongs to Jim Street, the "original owner and customizer of the Golden Sahara" along with the truck. Neither the Golden Sahara or the truck ever belonged to George Barris or Larry Watson. Jim Street had Larry Watson
    paint the truck only. He still has the truck for transporting the Golden Sahara.

LGW13, gonmad, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

mgtstumpy, 55Deso, catdad49 and 9 others like this.
  7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I keep trying to visualize canted quads on the cabover

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Scan0638.jpg Scan0637.jpg Version one and version two. For those of you who don`t know. Taken from the Barris build books.

9. Trefl

Trefl

I don't want to sound too political but thats how You should make America great again! It's definitly not my style, but I'm deeply staggered by this car. My very good friend lend me a book about Jack Stewards Ford- it was not only bout that particular car but about custom culture at the time. There was a chapter about Sahara and Sahara II. Meen, I was reading it hard, those storys, those times- it must been some special to live in '40-'50, in US

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I believe you're right. I didn't see much of the 40's but I believe the 50's and early 60's were probably the best years this country ever had.

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Too me the sixties was the hay day of Hot rodding. American Graffiti was not a myth thats the way it was. I feel sorry for those who missed it.

olscrounger likes this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this photo really says something about the way things were done back in the "good old days" notice there are no rain gutters around the trunk opening ( I know there is no top and wouldn't be out in the rain..) no weatherstripping or a place to attach it. hood hinges used for trunk hinges.....

13. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

And the fit of that carpet will never win a Ridler! I miss those days!

gonmad, chryslerfan55, drdave and 3 others like this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy

Nowadays all this equipment could be built into the size of a cell phone. And the 100 pounds of wire could be done with that fiberoptic stuff. You would need to de-arch the springs a bit to make the car ride like it did.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully you will be the one adjusting it...;)

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  16. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex_Avery

The genius of Tex Avery. ;)

loudbang, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks I grew up on that stuff...buddie...buddie...well something like that...yeah I just didn't know his automotive side even though I'd seen it all in those cartoons. I like the Woman car in that video of his I posted...:D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. The Sahara 1 has a killer roof opening the Sahara 2’s rear fins are killer
    All the electronics on it and if they worked at all never mind reliably are just awesome. Some great technological feats done on this car, you can see a lot of stuff copied into modern cars and a lot of the styling although more conservatively done encorporated into cars of the 60’s and beyond.

Not my cup of tea, or coffee, or beer! But it’s a testament to what was done back the. With rudimentary tools and technology, that this car was the Center piece everyware it was shown and still so many years later drawing interest is awesome!!

It only takes two at mecum for this car to bring silly numbers, or it can sell for peanuts if the right folks are not out that day. I’m sure who ever had the pockets for it will be out in full force for this car. Say what you will about the styling but it’s a big piece of automotive and custom car history.

Just spectacular! Looks like something my kids would pound out of play dough but spectacular play dough at that !!

LGW13, 'Mo, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  19. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

The good days of custom cars started and ended in 1950-1965

Sent from my iPad

Trefl, Bowtie Coupe and waylow64bird like this.
  20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Naaaa. This photo is from around 1939 or abouts. It is from the Carson top shop. They were doing roughly between 10 to 15 tops a day back then. Scan0561.jpg

21. gonmad

gonmad

^THIS ^
    I didn’t know much about the GS electronics and all until about a year ago and I was at a show and was talking to Voodoo Larry about his version and he was telling me about the real deal and how advanced it was and all. If I remember right, ehe said even some of the auto manufacturers took the car for shows and displays because of the “cutting edge technology” inside the thing.
    The he told me about how the original (this one) was being stored and how bad of shape it was actually in and all. The duct tape all across it is apparently there for a real reason, cause it’s practically falling apart.
    However, I have no idea personally, just passing on some info that may or may not be true.

I just hope Mark or someone that truly appreciates it gets it and restores it to GS II stage (not to be confused with a GS stage II! LoL!). It just might take a fortune to get it done tho.

22. 'Mo

'Mo

As you may know, those beautiful fins were created by none other than Bob Metz, who also crafted the fins on the R&C Dream Truck (among others).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob's own '55 Buick (1957).....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I, for one, don't think it is too bad of shape, especially if it has just been sitting for fifty years. All of the body work looks good, none of it shows any cracks or signs of falling apart, the paint has discolored, but it is flaking in just a few spots. The interior looks discolored also, but it is intact. Just guessing, but I bet the drivetrain has little to zero wear, and it could be fired up with a few days work. The electronics would be my biggest worry, but that would be the last item I would address. This car brings out a lotta haters every time it comes up, I think it's pretty freakin cool. I like the first version the best, but there is no way I would undo the way it is now.

chryslerfan55, drdave, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  24. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I think the duct tape is on there because the car had tarps taped to the top to keep the interior in shape.. Looks like it worked... Then had other tarps layered on top

I think the car is in pretty good shape
    There are some very good articles on the car and how it was stored etc...on the Custom Car Chronicles site run by Rikster..info on its paint-hubcaps-pics of receipts from the build etc...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    LGW13, chryslerfan55, drdave and 3 others like this.
  25. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

LGW13, stanlow69 and Sancho like this.
  26. Deuces

Deuces

The Sahara is going to be on TV....
    Mecum at Indy... Not sure when...

stanlow69 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. I’m headed to Mecum this Saturday. Who else is going?

stanlow69 and Stogy like this.
  28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member