Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1953 BUICK CONVERTIBLE TOP INTERCHANGE QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastlayne, Feb 24, 2017.

1. fastlayne

fastlayne

So here's a pitch I've struck out on so far..
    I'm fruitlessly searching for a 1953 Buick (non-special) convertible top frame for my upcoming dream build, a 1953 Buick Skylark. So i now must broaden my horizons to the Olds and Caddy world as well but i cant seem to find out definitively if the other year, make and model tops will work. I recently came across a parted out 1951 Olds 98 convertible with a somewhat good top assembly, and it looks like it is correct, but if at all possible i would like some confirmation that indeed it is interchangeable, and if not, then which will be? Also, if the 51 Olds top isn't the same, whats different? All i can figure is potentially the header bow which i can rebuild if necessary. If any body has a GM parts interchange book for 53 Buicks, or if you just happen to be a total bada$$ and know from experience than your ahead of me already! Please drop some knowledge on me! Thanks

2. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Maybe a resto shop you might find in Hemmings that works on your yr Buicks, could give you a few pointers

DND

3. BJR

BJR

The big Buicks (Roadmaster, Super) shared the GM "C" bodies with Cadillac and Olds 98, the smaller Buick (Special) shared the GM "B" body with Olds 88's, Pontiac Chieftian , and Streamliner.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  4. Squablow

Squablow

5. fastlayne

fastlayne

6. fastlayne

fastlayne

Good info, thanks! So they are both (small and big ) "c" bodies? Any idea what years of the platforms interchange?

7. fastlayne

fastlayne

Good tip, thank you!

8. fastlayne

fastlayne

Anybody with definitive info on the 51 Olds top frame working on the 53 buick?just trying to save myself a wasTed 6 hour trip. Thanks!

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No, that was an error.....should have read "B" body for Olds 88 and Buick Special.....and "A" body for Pontiac (and Chevrolet).

I believe '50 thru '53 Cadillac, Buick Super/Roadmaster and Olds 98 are all based on the same "C" platform......new body shell for '54/'56

Ray

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    falconsprint63 likes this.
  10. fastlayne

fastlayne

bump, still seeking definity!!

11. BJR

BJR

I miss typed. The smaller Buick Special and Olds 88 GM bodies were the "B" bodies. Sorry for the confusion.

12. fastlayne

fastlayne

any more information from an old timer of B.O.P. guys out there would be awesome. Thanks

13. Skylarks have a lower windshield than the other 53 GM's. look at Rambler conv. tops a friend did a top for his 50 Merc from one worked pretty good. You'll still need a GM front header. I owned a 53 Skylark for 12 years the top and windows were hydraulic and always leaking. I put the top up and down by hand after removing the actuators. Kind of an ancient memory since I owned the car from mid 60's to mid 70's.. There are some junk yards in Montana that have a lot of old convertible stuff.

14. fastlayne

fastlayne

I appreciate the rambler idea. From my research, it looks like the top frames are the same from non skylark full size gm 50-53 convertibles, but since the wiND shield frame of the larks are 3 inches lower, they actually dropped the whole convertible top assembly in the car by 3 inches via its mounts in the car. I have picked up a 1950 Olds 98 convertible with a beautiful top skeleton other than a rusty header bow. Any leads on those junkyards in Montana? Names ? Thanks for the info.

15. jku72

jku72
    from Maine

I’ve been doing a 53 Olds 88 convertible project for a while. I don’t know every thing but a few things I definitely know.
    1. 1952 and 1953 Oldsmobile 88 and 98 convertible top frames are identical. 100% interchange. They also interchange with Buick, except Skylark. I don’t know about Cadillac.
    2. The 1951 (I think it’s a 51) Cadillac top frame I have does NOT interchange at all. The header looks the same, but the windshield curve is a little off, so it won’t latch. The side rails have a thinner section and do not look like the 52 and 53 tops I have.

I have a very very nice 1951 (maybe) Cadillac top frame that doesn’t fit at all. I have a 1952 98 top frame that’s super rough, and a 53 88 top frame that is also super rough. Nothing is for sale until I get one good complete top frame that fits. Then I’ll have a ton of convertible stuff to sell.
    Hope this info helps. If you ever find a 52 or 53 Buick or Olds top frame let me know.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    stanlow69 likes this.
  16. fastlayne

fastlayne

Hmmm. I'd certainly be interested in one of those header bows if you have one with a decent passenger side surface that meets the top windshield frame. Through my research , measuring cars in person and collecting parts, 1950-1953 olds 98 top frames ( gm c-body platform ) are a direct interchange with a 1953 super, super riviera, roadmaster and skylark . Notably, the olds 88 and buick special are both a smaller platform car and not interchangeable with the larger platform cars, only difference in the skylark top from its siblings (super /roadmaster) is the windshield frame was factory chopped 3 inches and the factory top frame was actually dropped on its mounts into the body tub to compensate it as well as the seat frames being lowered and side window frames modified among other items. I have a beautiful top frame from a 50 98 that is a direct fit to my 53 buick. Do you have any pictures of your top frames?

17. gggholson

gggholson

There is a guy on the Buickclub.org site that goes by 53Mack that is from the Twin Cities, MN area that knows a lot about Skylarks particularly ‘53’s. Don’t know him personally but he has a lot of input in the forums. There was a 53 Super Convertible project in TX that just sold. It was advertised on the Buickclub site Buy and Sell forum.

18. jku72

jku72
    from Maine

I don’t have pictures of the the top frames at the moment. I have a 52 98 top frame and a 53 Super 88 Top frame and they are 100% identical The cars are two different platforms with the 98 being longer wheelbase and different frame X. However, the top frames are the same, as are the quarter window frames, the top moldings, all the convertible top stuff is the same. I mixed the two top frames together to get one complete set. These parts also interchange with the regular Buick top frames, not counting the rare Fiesta and Skylark, which are custom cars in their own right. I unfortunately do not have a good header bow that fits properly. What I was told was a 51 Cadillac top frame that I have could be anything. It is similar to the 52 and 53 tops frames, but there is no interchange at all with this 3rd frame I have. It must be GM though, as it is so close that I was fooled into thinking that it was the same as the other two. I also have access to a 56 Buick top frame, but nothing on that fits either.

19. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

If memory serves me right skylark was the same as Olds Fiesta. The windshield and top was totally different than other models

20. fastlayne

fastlayne

The 53 skylark was a road master windshield frame chopped 3 inches. The 53 Olds fiesta and 53 Cadillac Eldorado were both the same as each other with wrap-around style chopped 3 inches, but different from the skylark as the skylark did not wrap around.

21. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Fastlayne thank fir correcting me on that one. I was positive Fiesta and Eldorado were the same but that the Skylark was done the same way. My bad.

22. fastlayne

fastlayne

;)