Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Kids at shows and cruises. Do you let them sit in your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chappy444, May 12, 2018.

1. wvenfield

wvenfield

I don't go to car shows but if a kid wants to sit in my car they are more than welcome to.

Clay Belt likes this.
  2. missysdad1

missysdad1

Absolutely! This is the best way I can think of to promote interest in hot rods and high performance cars to young people. Never had a bad experience - as long as you don't count smudges on my sunglasses from kids trying them on to be cool - but many really good ones. Lots of big, big smiles. In fact, the little ones are usually having such a good time that I have to remind their parents to take photos to make the memory last.

41 C28, Clay Belt and Montana1 like this.
  3. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I like kids when their cooked right.

zzford, Clay Belt and Montana1 like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg I take my lakes/Bonneville roadster to local get togethers. If parents and kids look interested and ask about the car after reading the homemade sign I have next to it I ask if the kids want to sit in it. You should see the smiles. They need to get in the same way I do, stand on the tire, hold the roll bar, step over the lexan windscreen (I'll guide their feet if necessary) and stand on the seat. Yes, its upholstered in pleated Nomex but I stand on it to. They can't hurt anything, I show them how I start it, turn it off, operate the parachute, etc. it's the best thing you can do for a youngster, girl or boy, any race. Photos are always taken... Start them young, it just might keep them out of trouble.

5. ...But I can't eat a whole one by myself... lol

zzford, Clay Belt and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

IMG_20161211_080837215.jpg IMG_20161211_081402431.jpg I let alot of children and adults set in both of these cars.

chryslerfan55 and Montana1 like this.
  7. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Yes and have experienced all the above situations plus with my '40 Hillegass midget race car...

Some real young ones are too shy or intimidated when invited.

Occasionally an adult would ask, once a mom.

Any young male with a billed cap on his head backwards was told "yes but you need to turn your hat around first"

8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Amateur!

zzford likes this.
  9. 41 C28

41 C28

If they show an interest I let them as its a great photo op. It just might influence and inspire a new generation of hot rodders.

chryslerfan55, 40FORDPU and i.rant like this.
  10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

^^^^^^^^^^I do the same, I think of how cool that’s gotta be for them :cool:

chryslerfan55 and 40FORDPU like this.
  11. absolutely......as long as their parents say they have a tetanus shot

zzford and Clay Belt like this.
  12. I was a little kid once. Ah who am I fooling I still am.

I have been known to tell a dad (or a mom) that the door opens. I try to seek out the most respectful people on that one. But in total honesty my cars are beaters as a rule. I have been known to be anti social, but the truth is that it never really hurts to show someone a kindness. Little kids especially, truth be known lots of little kids don't have much of a life. ;)

13. crap, I will dig out tools and let em work on mine

14. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

It's nice that you do that, I know so many who don't want you to even breathe near their car. One year at the Oshkosh air show I saw and met Chuck Yeager who was there with his P51 Mustang worth a few million. He had stairs set up so kids could sit in it, it was just so cool. As Shania Twain says " So ya got a car, that don't impress me much". Sometimes we forget that we are only here for a little while and it is things like this that you and others are doing that will keep the hobby alive long after we are gone. Thank You

chryslerfan55, 1934coupe and zzford like this.
  15. Graystoke

Graystoke

My friend has 34 Ford with a rumble seat and he always lets the kids sit in it. They really get a big thrill out of the rumble seat.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. zzford

zzford

It depends on how hot the mom is.

Irish Mike, 41 C28 and lonejacklarry like this.
  17. elba

elba

Yes ! My Econoline P/U is made for Ins pics of econoline 003.JPG kids and pics .

18. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

You bet I do.

19. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

My Roadster has had lots of kids in the drivers seat and the rumble seat. I may have made a few Hot Rodders in the future!

20. squirrel

squirrel

21. no55mad

no55mad

Always got a kick out of the story where a guy came back to his jalopy at a car show and there was a young family sitting inside eating their lunch. Owner was perturbed and asked them to get out and the dad says, 'what's the problem, we paid to get in the show'.

22. ford40

ford40
    from pa

Not only do I let them sit in mt car but I try to bring a trophy with me and find a kid in a wagon or stroller and give it to them for the best wagon or stroller.

23. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

if any young kid shows interest in my cars i usually say to the parents why not put them in the car......
    and after a million photo's the parents thank me and i say to them......it's okay...it's not my car and walk off...
    after seeing the look of disbelief on there faces i then say...just kidding and all is good and everyone has a laugh

24. drews49

drews49
    from Maryland

I like this. I'll pick up cheap Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars at swap meets that resemble my car and keep them in the trunk. When a kid/family is done with pictures, I'll give the kid(s) a car as a memento. I had one parent tell me that their daughter still has that car, won't let anyone touch it and guards it with her life - 6 years later! You can't hurt Sally - any scratch or ding they may inflict only adds to her story.

R A Wrench, chryslerfan55 and wraymen like this.
  25. I know that it's OT, but I have had more people sitting in / standing ON / leaning on / etc. the Bluesmobile.... and I get a great reaction every time. BUT that car is supposed to look beat up, dented, etc. Amazingly, there has been zero damage to the hood after countless numbers of kids, stiletto heels, etc. have been up there... 2014_Aug_24 (61).JPG
    My all time favorite story about that though is the time that I let an autistic kid sit in the Bluesmobile because his parents told me that he was not emotional or active at all until they put on the Blues Brothers movie and than it was like somebody put fresh batteries in him. He'd sing & dance the whole time that the movie played and it made him so happy... When I let him sit in the driver's seat and put my fedora and Ray Bans on him he lit up like a Christmas tree. When I got out of the way so that the parents could take their photos, I noticed that they both had tears in their eyes. So yeah, I let people do whatever they want with that car.
    Of course I'd never let anyone stand on the 49 truck or especially the 71 Road Runner's Air Grabber hood, but I will certainly let them sit in the car or get a photo with it.
    I still remember meeting up with some friends of mine to go to a car show or cruise a few years ago and having a smoking hot girl in a very tight, very tiny white dress walk by and then ask if she could sit in my Road Runner for a minute. I said "Sure!". As she was getting back out of the car, she slowly put her left leg out first and then her right leg, and then she thanked me. I can say with 99.999% certainty that she was wearing really pretty lacy white panties that day. Don't ask me how I know. ;)

26. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I was at a car show in Macungie, PA and I was sitting behind my car. I watched as a father and four kids approached my car. Two of the kids were too small to see into the car, so the dad started to lift one of the kids up. I got up and opened the door and said "get in". The kids looked at their dad and I said, it's OK. Well those kids were as happy as they could be and thanked me a dozen times. After they left, some jerk, that had a car across from me, walked over and gave me an earful about how those kids will think that it's alright to sit in peoples cars and I shouldn't do that again. I won't go into details on what I told he that he could do to himself and his car. Those kids could be the future of our hobby and the last thing we need to do is turn them off.

27. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Yes I have a picture but can't post now

Pat

28. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

As does JD, when ever a family stops by at our pits we always ask if the young ones want to sit inside, when the kids are done and all the pictures are taken and the kids removed we ask if the parents want to sit in side. A number will say no, but we can see yes in their eyes, some will take us up. Don't tell anyone, but we have been know to even fire it up for some.

29. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

IMG_3543.JPG

This is my son sitting in one of Adams Hot Rod’s cars. He was digging the car all weekend at the Nationals in Louisville last year. Sunday morning he told Nick to get in it. Made the weekend for my son, totally!

He made a friend for life with my son after that.

I’m just now getting back on my feet financially after a divorce and don’t have a car right now and when people offer to let him sit in hot rods, it keeps the spark lit for him, keeps him interested in the hobby, we need these young kids.

So....thanks to all of you that lets kids sit in your cars, you probably don’t realize what connections or memories your making for them or what your doing for this hobby of ours.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. How could you refuse..... WH.jpg