Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The New Toy - 62 F100 Unibody

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by soddruntlestuntle, May 16, 2018.

1. After much hand-wringing and soul-searching, earlier this Spring I finally decided to sell my OT '66 Buick Skylark. So of course, with all those Benjamins burning a hole in my pocket, the race was on to find her replacement. As I had just traded my daily driver SUV in for a Ford Fusion Hybrid sedan a couple weeks prior to the sale of the Skylark, it was determined by my ̶C̶F̶O̶ wife that my next time wasting money pit should be a pickup, as we now no longer had a vehicle to haul gardening supplies, and construction materials for our Halloween parties. So, the search began in earnest. I determined early on that I wanted a Ford (sorry Bowtie Bros, I just like Dearborn's styling better), and wanted it to be HAMB-friendly. I also wanted a modicum of drivability, so I kept my search to the postwar era.

I've often said that greater Fresno is a graveyard for new and used car deals. Well, the same can be said for classic and special-interest car deals, too. Craigslist. AutoTrader Classics. Hemmings. HAMB. Bupkis. There were a couple down in the Orange County area, but I really didn't want to drive that far, nor did I relish driving or towing a purchase back over the Grapevine. Besides-- I'd sold my tow vehicle the month prior.

Then a posting from, as it turns out, a fellow HAMBer who goes by the name of GearSlammer came up on Craigslist. Ford? Check. V-8? Check. Auto? Check. HAMB-friendly? Check. Within budget? Check. Running? Well... not quite. Though it had a completely rebuilt 390 FE courtesy of another HAMBer (noted Y-Block guru mctim64) and fresh C6, it was still in the Unfinished Stage, and so I kept looking, as I really wanted a turn-key ride.

Nothing decent came up, and just as I started opening my search up for Chevys, Mr. GearSlammer updated his listing, noting that the truck was now RUNNING. Well now. A dialogue was stuck up via social media, and the truck in question became more and more appealing. A few days passed, we met, a test drive was taken, and I was smitten. I decided to sleep on it however, as I knew better from past transactions not to act hastily. Of course by the time I went to bed that night, I had already gone online and purchased a missing ignition bezel for the truck, so to Hell with my logic...

Anyway, here he is, in all it's glory. I NEVER name my cars, but for some reason this one I felt deserved a name. And since old trucks always make me think of Hank Williams, and because it's a Ford, I've dubbed him Hank.

IMG_2362.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2365.jpg
    IMG_2366.jpg
    uni dash.jpg
    Plans at this point are pretty rudimentary-- rebleed the brakes, as the pedal is way too spongy, address the "slop" in the steering, and see about finding a panel to cover the hole in the floor created to accommodate the C6. Watch this space.

2. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

That is one nice truck. I always liked Ford trucks.

mctim64 and soddruntlestuntle like this.
  3. philo426

philo426

Nice but it needs chrome bumpers front and rear.

4. It probably will at some point, but for now I'm okay with the green, it's growing on me.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You fellas got it good with that California Sunshine...its great for metal preservation...have fun with your hauler...;)

6. Muttley

Muttley

They'd also look good painted to match the grill.

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

I've got a complete front drop axle I'm pulling out of my 62, it's coooooomplete! Never been on the road. Disc brakes, reverse eye spring, new bushings, drag link, steering link, floor shift column. Also have the rear springs with reversed eyes and all new bushings. Can ship through fastenal. Let me know if interested. It's all from Sids droppedaxles.com.

8. Thanks! Yeah, other than a bit of rot near the tailgate hinges, it's remarkably clean. Another reason why I couldn't pass it up.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Another good thought.

10. Garbz

Garbz

Nice truck, You might also want to find the correct 61 to 63 Model 66 doors as the doors pictured are for a regular model 81truck.

11. I dunno, I kind of like 'em. Adds a little interest to the character line, especially on a non-two-tone truck.

12. metalman

metalman

You're right, wrong doors, missed that the first time around, had to go back and look at the pics again. Must admit they fit better then I would expect. I think Ford put the rust in the tailgates at the factory, never saw one without it, even solid desert trucks we have here.

Ford52PU and Stogy like this.
  13. Good looking truck ya got there. Though, I’d have named it Bocephus, just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Okay, that literally made me laugh out loud.

Ford52PU likes this.
  15. Thank you. Never cared much for Junior, always sounds like he needs more fiber in his diet.

16. philo426

philo426

The trouble with the painted bumpers,at least up here in Ohio.is they get scratched and start to rust.Chromed bumpers look great and hold up better.

17. Can't argue with that. We'll see how my finances go as I take care of my other issues.

18. philo426

philo426

Yes one step at a time is best,always liked the stylin of the mid sixties Ford Trucks!

soddruntlestuntle likes this.
  19. Thanks, wish I could. But for now, my wife is DEAD SET on my not lowering the truck (she's a 4x4 girl). She says the only way she'd allow it lowered is if I put (close your ears) airbags under it.

20. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

You have to find uni doors. Just not right with the std cab doors. Just make your won tailgate.

Nice looking uni though. Welcome to the fold. Check out www.slick60s.com for all the info you will ever need on them.

SPark

DSCN0506.JPG DSCN5383.JPG

oldrelics and soddruntlestuntle like this.
  21. Make my own tailgate? Oh, you’ve mistaken me with someone who knows something about metal working.

Sancho and Budget36 like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mctim64 and soddruntlestuntle like this.
  23. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yeah, you've gotta get the right doors on and then the sexy will flow. (ive become a hoarder of uni doors for that reason)
    tailgates, well yeah, theyre all bad. I got one for 25 bucks but had to build the bottom 6 inches from dust. Building your own isn't the hardest in the word. You can doooo ieet!

24. Maybe down the road we'll look into some proper doors, we'll see. Sooooo many things on my list... And I love the confidence y'all have in me, I'd have trouble building a new tailgate out of 2x4s and plywood let alone sheet metal.

mctim64 likes this.
  25. philo426

philo426

I wonder if water somehow seeps down inside the tail gate and causes all of the rot?

26. My guess is that it has to do with the ridiculous design of the tailgate latches.

27. philo426

philo426

28. Well, the brake problem has been rectified-- right front wheel cylinder went bad. Stops on a dime now. Made a minor change, as I can't afford a chrome bumper at the moment, I thought I'd see what it looked like with it painted silver.

IMG_2365a.jpg
    Looks alright for the time being. Added mirrors, too. Found a cover for the hole in the transmission tunnel, just need it cut to fit. Next item is to pressure wash and sand the bed in advance of applying a coat of bedliner. Oh, and replace front shocks. If only there were more hours in the day.

mctim64 likes this.
  29. RatStude55

RatStude55
    from Arizona

Sweet Truck ! Im a Chebby guy but the Ford unibody is one of my favorite trucks....

soddruntlestuntle likes this.