Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A coupe Hot Iron build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rail job, Mar 28, 2018.

1. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Spring has finally sprung here in Michigan! Gotta say it feels good to start working instead of sitting around thinking about the car.

About 30 hours and 20 sheets of 80 grit it's starting to look a bit more uniform. I can't wait to start painting and see my vision start to become reality.

[​IMG]

2. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Now that the weather has broke and I have a lot of time on my hands I've been quite busy on the car in an effort to finally make it to a sins of steel show with some friends.

After a bunch more thought after getting the car down to metal and deciding what level of finish I wanted I decided to do a full somewhat temporary paint job instead of driving around in primer.

Loving the look of a well worn car but anti faux finish I decided to recreate this car as a kid building his first racecar in the late 30's with a heavy emphasis on being a runner more than anything else.

All primer and paint on the car was applied with a brush.

IMG_20180424_210510_583.jpg

Originally I was thinking black but decided to go with something close to commercial drab. In retrospect I should have went oil based instead of enamel. In the end it works as I was going for something a little brush stroke heavy so I'll live with it.

Here are the first few layers to build some thickness once I sand down to a sheen.

20180425_094423.jpg

Almost full coverage

20180427_183649.jpg

Since it's a racecar it needed a number and a cool exhaust.

IMG_20180506_202919_009.jpg

New seals on everything was worth the time.

20180515_130409.jpg

With the body close it was time to raid my parts stash to add some boogey.

IMG_20180510_200813_411.jpg

I really like the shell but the rad as a little thin so I used some headlight rivets and mesh to make it more pleasing.

IMG_20180515_221819_938.jpg

Also added a bigger rear tire.

20180504_130557.jpg

As she sits today after installing all the glass and other tidbits. Next up is to finish the body, interior, and a few other things. So....I guess I went a bit hard since my last post!

20180516_150045.jpg

More to come.

waxhead, tb33anda3rd, Tim and 30 others like this.
  3. madfish

madfish

@rail job
    Love this car. Hope you don't mind my subtle changes.

Michigan A.jpg

waxhead, tb33anda3rd, slim38 and 12 others like this.
  4. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Thanks, man. I don't mind at all. In fact, I was kicking around an idea like that and need to install the hood!

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    osage orange and Stogy like this.
  5. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

6. Sounds great!

osage orange likes this.
  7. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Thanks so much guys. I have a silencer in it I can tune incase I don't jive with the new 50 foot noise law we have in my area.

8. 392

Kick ass little ride.

9. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Thanks!

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

loved your T. this one is kick ass too.

11. Duellym

Duellym

I really dig the brush paint job, it looks surprisingly smooth to me. Nice car.

12. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Thanks General, just trying to build good stuff.:)
    It's a twenty footer for sure! If I used an oil based paint and sanded between coats the results would have been better but it wasn't what I was going for. It's brush stroke heavy for sure! I plan to explain the process and results in more detail once I post pics of the completed car.

Thanks for digging it.

osage orange likes this.
  13. BeardedHombre

BeardedHombre

I seriously love this idea! Awesome ride my man!

14. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Thank you very much. It's getting closer to roadworthy every day!

15. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

"Jackstand Olympics" Haha I've got a couple projects that are medaling in that. I really like the simple hot rod vibe and the 4 banger is cool too!

16. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great little car, I really like the place you are taking it very cool. Madfish did a hell of a job not to have changed much, it would be a very good way to go as well.

17. trollst

trollst

Well, I'm impressed.

18. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

I loathe the Olympics if it's my only ride. Thanks for digging it. I like them simple.
    Thanks. I have the hood on but I'm no sure about the stripe yet.
    Well, thank you! :)

19. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

How she looks today after some more polishing and finished lettering. I chose my Grandmother's maiden name "Fike" because I felt the rear quarter needed something and added a logo to the hood from an old Trojan photo I found.

IMG_20180523_165926_710.jpg

20180522_175216.jpg 20180522_175119.jpg

BradinNC, slim38, chop job and 11 others like this.
  20. Proof it doesn't take a lot of money to make a great Hot Rod and a fun ride. Love it, you sir did a great job.

21. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Thank you. I greatly appreciate the kind words. Looks like I'm going to finally make the sins of steel show next week!

22. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on your milestone...one of the most rewarding at that...going back in time is not possible but there are ways to feel what it may have been like.

Nice Hotrod...@rail job

24. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

25. 97

I was about to ask about the intake, never seen one or even heard of Trojan before....I think it is the best looking Model A/B intake I have ever seen. Now what about finding a Trojan Head?

26. mike bowling

mike bowling

Great little coupe ya got there! Love the brush paint, and simple approach to having a fun ride.

27. bubba55

bubba55

WOW - WOW - WOW - Sir - that is truly one sweet ride - Nice job!

28. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

Thank you, Stogy. Less initial bugs to chase than my T coupe, and I'm starting to get more comfortable with every drive. It is a great feeling.
    Oh man. I like my Thomas head but it would be awesome to find one. I've yet to see one pop up anywhere.
    Thanks, Mike. Playing a kid in the 30's with limited funds and resources has been fun.
    Thank you!

So.. I failed to mention more about the name. Usually I'm not the name a car guy but for some reason Hot Rods bring it out in me.

Back when I was a kid like many of us I started by building model cars at my grandparents house every weekend. On Saturdays my Grandmother would get dressed up and go shopping with her friend and always return with a new model car for me. She had surprisingly good taste and would always opt for early stuff and the occasional muscle car playing a big part in my personal taste as I grew I felt it fitting to put her name on this one. :)

In good news I spent yesterday going through the steering and discovered some adjustment errors as well as the sector rubbing on the frame and both endplay adjustments way off. I was able to make it quite a bit but better but I still think it will need a freshen up over winter.

29. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am late to this party. I am liking this build. I am partial to unchopped highboy coupes. HAHA. I also like that intake. Not something you se very often. thought I would add a pic of my coupe that is very similar. I have a few modern parts on it however. There is a link to my build thread in my signature.

Coupe.jpg

tb33anda3rd, chop job, brEad and 5 others like this.