Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The People Of Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 16, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The People Of Hot Rodding

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

VANDENPLAS, jnaki, Lazy A and 16 others like this.
  2. WOW!!! That was transcendental as all get out! Loyalty is an important part of friendship to me. Your pals are right to have your back in regards to the "jerk' who flipped you off in front of the wife and kids. No excuse for that. He should have spoken to you calmly, like a man, and who knows, you two may have come to a real understanding. You may have even allowed him "back in the house" since now, after reviewing his posts, you seem to have some mutual interests regarding traditional hot rods. As it is, after his outburst, I say fuck him, he's not worth it. Good luck with the surgery. Pain is no fun. And maybe reconsider those shark dives.........just sayin'.:D.............................................Don.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The happy dance Roadster pic...I guess that situation depicted could generate a high on life kooky moment...its good for the heart...maybe he just broke a record.

Hey interesting story...Glad you restrained yourself with the the wifes words...I mean look...your better off for it.

You actually did what you ask of us here...

I don't like confrontation ever but it happens...but I like to deal without violence...is it possible...most of the time
    I can't remember when it was that I did...I take comfort in that.

Hope all goes smoothly for you and may your recovery be rapid.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

A lifetime of back problems until I changed my job to a more physically active job. I’d venture to say your time in front of screens may cause the reoccurring pain.
    I sure hope you get feeling better.
    The rest of your thoughts just prove to me something I’ve always thought about you. You’re first class.

tractorguy and Stogy like this.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No apologies man, we all come from somewhere.

Your entry is quite timely. I'll leave it at that because further comment could run political and we can't have that, as we'd be just as guilty. I can empathize with your pain gig. Neck and lower spine for me, been cut once already so now it's meds and careful planning of tasks. But back to getting along, well, sometimes it's not so easy and others it's perceived as a weakness. Yeah, I said it, weakness. It manifests as chronic disrespect and undue critiques of whatever the topic may be. I live in an ego-driven world of high level car collectors and restoration experts. As I age I keep much more to myself and reach out a lot less. Still easy to get along yet it can be like you're wearing a hat that says "I'm a dumb fuck and know nothing." You get opinions and "help" as if you need it bad, or that your direction is so wrong it'll end up a tragic and expensive mistake. Right, that's how my peeps have earned so many provenance making awards for the work. My reactions tend to be sarcastic digs that cut deep, even though I know I shouldn't, but I do anyway. Fuck em, they asked for it, but it's rare.

Wishing you all the best on the surgery, get well soon.

6. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I agree with the statement of putting yourself in the other guys shoes. All to often it's easier to fly off the handle, but what does that prove? At the end of the day not much.

As for folks that've been banned, it's a lot like society in general today, they don't want to play by the rules. Too many people going 'me, me, it's all about me'.

I feel truly blessed for the life I have yet, I think the US has been selling it's soul and is in steady decline.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

Ah, Grasshopper. Even those who arrive at the same place have gotten there taking different paths. Hope all goes well with your surgery and recovery, Carp

8. I hope you keep this post up, because its fantastic and all true.

winduptoy and Stogy like this.
  9. I'm mellowing with age, got my close car buddies to back me up more often than not. I'm a chronic pain patient too, just got upgraded to morphine sulfate the other day. Does Dr. Dan make house calls to NY? Hauled the Muncie out of my ride last week, no mean feat when I hit the wall of pain. Put it back in 7 days later, couldn't have done it without help.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

What that old saying? 'Talk shit, get hit.' Not by me. Not anymore...unless you're going after my wife or daughters. Then, it's on. I've learned to let stuff slide. I believe I've actually lengthened my life by not giving a rat's ass. Great post and good luck with your surgery and recovery.

11. Bluedot

Bluedot

I have seen some pretty bad relationships develop within local clubs, which is why I've been a "Lone Wolf" for over 30 years now. Hotrodding is supposed to be a hobby, and hobbies are supposed to be fun. Where's the fun when people get pissed off at each other?
    I have a good friend (not a hotrodder) who likes to say, "If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." Good words to live by.
    Ryan, I'll add my good wishes for your surgery and recovery. Though I have a few aches and pains, I am thankful to be blessed with very good overall health as I approach 73.

12. Special Ed

Special Ed

Well written piece. Thought provoking subject. Hoping you stick around for awhile, and can do so relatively pain-free ... good luck. :cool:

Stogy, HOTRODPRIMER and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. @Ryan Not to dismiss the pain you are in but, oh how I miss your med-induced writings!

winduptoy, hrm2k, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  14. I’ve been disillusioned by politics and infighting in every hobby I’ve ever pursued. Then the internet came along... and the politics and infighting got worse. Much worse.

I threw in the towel long ago and run solo, and greatly limit my web activity. My wife likes to joke me “awww, did you reach the end of the internet?”

“Nope, I just see where it leads.”

Take care of your spine. I feel some of your pain.

pitman, winduptoy, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  15. rc57

rc57

Well written. You should pin it. Good luck on your surgery

Stogy likes this.
  16. Wishing you a speedy recovery,I know Dr. Dan will successfully free you of further reoccurring neck pain.

While I was recouping from shoulder surgery and dealing with a close friends passing I realized there is a lot more to our car hobby than my own personal ideology.

I took a long hard look at myself and reached out to atone for my my past transgressions with a fellow member of the hamb,he and I had a trivial altercation several years ago and I blew it out of proportion and I blocked his reply's. He was very gracious in accepting my apology and harbored no ill feelings.

People are what makes this site what it is,sure you may not always agree but that is no reason to get mad and disregard everything they have to offer.

HRP

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

"As a whole, we hot rodders are drama queens. " is not true.

dana barlow likes this.
  18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! We could all use a little more of that.

[​IMG]
    Oh Lord kumbaya from the Boss himself . . . you live long enough, you'll see everything!

chryslerfan55, Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  19. silverdome

silverdome

Ah, the me, me me me, me me me society. Isn't that those opera singers that are warming up for their aria. LOL

Take care of yourself Ryan and I hope your surgery and recovery goes well.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, our travels through life are one in the same yet very different. deep thoughts intertwined with meds can produce unique discussions. main thing is to take care of yourself so that you can take care of your Family. then along the way help us out. will see you on the flip side when you are feeling better.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  21. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

22. A very well thought out and written post. We are all more alike than we are different.

Good luck with your surgery Ryan.

Stogy likes this.
  23. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

Ya gotta remember what Red Green says... "We're all in this together".
    Best wishes and get well soon Ryan.

pitman and Stogy like this.
  24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Please fax me your prescription.

25. Funny that you posted this and it is the first thing I read this morning. Late yesterday afternoon I drove my to Yale New Haven for a consultation with a cancer surgeon. The visit was for a second opinion on what would be the best treatment for Barb's recurring bladder cancer. All in all it was a good visit with a very hopeful result.
    When we were close to leaving the bad storm, that many of you may have heard of hit the northeast, most of the damaging wind was over and just very heavy rain was falling. Driving in New Haven is never good but this made it worst. We made it to RT.67 and the destruction that we saw was just terrible. Now I am sure it was nothing compared to what many Southern states get hit with , but for us it was as bad as I have seen.
    Trees and wires everywhere. Traffic was so bad that we just sat there for what seemed like days. It actually took three hours to travel what normally would have been one half hour. There was no place to go. Side street were blocked with trees and wires as well. So we just waited and moved inches at a time.
    And then one ass hole starts passing cars and decides to pull in my spot. Yes virtually would have pushed me out of the way. I was driving my year old pickup and did not want to get hit. So I opened my window and started yelling at this piece of crap in his pickup loaded with construction debris. He had no reaction and did not engage. I was so pissed I wanted to pull out my 380 and shoot his tires out. All this time my wife is yelling at me to stop. Well I did and cooled down while thinking what kind of mess I would find at home from the storm. I was wishing I had my old S-10 plow truck with me so I could have played demolition derby. Anyway I get home and all is well. No damage and still had power. Amazing since every place around us was a mess.
    I guess what I am saying is that you need to look for the good in all things. And life is too short to be so pissed that it puts you in jail. Should have been thinking of Barb and not anger.
    Ryan, if you read all of this, here is wishing you good luck! Hope Dr. Dan cures your pain.

26. Please, no apologies. You have said what a lot of us think, certainly the ones who have grown up at least a little. I just met up with a gentleman that I worked with a bunch of years ago at a local car club picnic and we started talking about our cars. I haven't seen him in years, although we run into each other from time to time, I was surprised to find out that he knew of some of my cars from lurking on the H.A.M.B. then he started critiquing my builds. Mostly telling me he didn't like the proportions on my TROG/Indian head Coupe. I get it, you don't have to like what others are into. He showed me his '34 Sedan "street rod" and I smiled as if to say "nice, but not exactly what I like". I used to bad mouth the guys from south of the border with their lowriders with hydraulics and what not till I started to appreciate all the love and hard work that go into their cars. Point is, we are all different in our tastes but still the same. Anyone who knows me knows I like Y-Block Fords but I sure get tired of the trash talk aimed at me for my like of something a little different than what is mainstream. Do I bash their SBC? A little, but all in fun. I'm not stupid, I know they are a good engine, just not that exciting to me. My opinion, right? Anyway, Frank, if you read this, it was great talking with you this weekend and look forward to the next time we meet. It's all about the love of cars and playing with our toys.

Pictures from the picnic.
    32469091_10216523676991441_2158584008156381184_n.jpg 32349776_10216523685791661_7645912166297501696_n.jpg 32326711_10216523688671733_7093736791173234688_n.jpg

HunterYJ, Lazy A, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  27. When you boil it all away, the golden rule should remain.
    No matter the social setting, someone will believe they are better than
    somebody else. They aren't, that horse has been beaten.

I find the hot rod community rich with really good people.
    I've made friendships and interacted with people on a near global scale.
    The support, sharing of knowledge, is unequaled.
    My experiences within the hot rod community aren't
    tradable for any offering.

28. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Lions,Tigers,an Bears O-my,aaa yes ,an humans. We're mostly humans even though a few don't act like it as much. I can't even guess at how many times I have been rereading something I just tryed to write{ I suck at writing an spelling,do it anyway} an deside not too post it,or do anyway. Sometimes it comes out OK ether way/some one enjoys it. I'm thinking,we're all good car humans mostly. Did I ramble too much,cuz setting here with a broken foot made me think I was in the other life boat from the same ship! Its the common ground that can be shared best with understanding.

29. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

Well said and agreed. Get well soon.

Stogy likes this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Partially related to your post Ryan, I feel your pain.
    Having faith in your surgeon is half the battle.
    Two neck surgeries myself, two different surgeons, one was a 3-4 fusion.
    Sure hope he's not a Dr. Feelgood in regards to the post surgery meds, regardless of how good it makes you feel, that stuff will fuck you up big time if you let it.
    Made the doc laugh, asked him if I could play the piano after I healed up, he said sure, I said great I never could before.
    Now I can sit at the welding bench more than five minutes without seizing up.
    I still have to sleep on the couch every so often though, a guy does have to speak up for his side huh!