Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '31 roadster on '32 subrails- would it work?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by el Roach, May 13, 2018.

1. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This may be obvious to some of you, but my little pea brain was wondering if this would work? I've acquired a '31 ford roadster project and I'm wanting to put it on a '32 frame that I already have. The rear portion of the subrails have been cut already for the frame kick. Since there is more to mod on the subrails, and that these aren't in the best condition, I've thought why not take out the originals and put the body on a set of '32 subrails??
    Anyone?

2. rustisgold

rustisgold

Brookville sells rear 32 subrails, I used them om my 29A on 32 rails, stock A subrails from the firewall to roughly the rear of the cockpit, them spliced on the 32 subrails from there rearward

3. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool! I was also thinking of doing that possibly. I know it wouldn't work on a 28/29, but I wonder on this 31 if the full subrails (with a little tweaking) would work??

4. mike bowling

mike bowling

'32 is bigger than an A , I don't think the sub frames are compatible ; nothing would line up right. Use a new stock A set up and fab your own back end for the kick. The sub frame isn't cheap. but if you start with the right one and modify it as needed, your car will come out a lot better IMO.

This is a roadster frame- rear 1/4's are 2" longer than a coupe, and doors are 2" narrower. You can see the indentation on the outside rail where the wheel well lines up. DSCN1545.JPG

5. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the input Mike Bowling. I thought that maybe just using the 32 subrail sides and then the 31 cross channels that it would fit - maybe not though.

mike bowling likes this.
  6. brady1929

brady1929

I am jealous, I am sure it's going to be a cool hot rod.

7. Do a search on the HAMB for Steadfast Manufacturing. I used their subrails and I am more than happy with them.

http://steadfastmfg.com/

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  8. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Bib Overalls. I've seen the Steadfast conversion rails and they look nice but I was wondering about the front half of the body also?
    Also, when guys are putting the later A bodies on deuce rails, do you use the wooden blocks that model A's use under the rails?

9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Yes on using the front cowl blocks ... the other blocks originally mounted inside the cross channels not the subrails...
    With '32 rails you will mount the body further out and into the subrails... I had to make up special blocks that mount under the raised section of the subrail...
    I would fine tune those blocks for a tight fit, panhead screw through the subrail and into the blocks so they stay put, then drill the mounting bolt holes...
    Not '32 rails, but my home made frame that is wider than the A, like the '32... note the bolt head just to the rear of the B pillar and how it is further outside than the stock bolt hole that is in sight... DSCN0618.JPG

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  10. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Sloppy J. Maybe I'll just try the rear 32 subrails grafted onto the model A front half.
    Anyone else feel free to chime in!!

11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've done several 29/31 A roadsters on deuce rails and my approach is a little different. First I cut out the sub rails over the rear kick up so the body settles down and then I pie cut the cowl until the body is tight on the top of the rails and then go back and finish fabbing over the kick up. I like the way the cowl then follows the shape of the reveal and lowers the shell for a swoopy look. Never used any wood blocks. Just my way of mounting the body?

big duece and 48stude like this.
  12. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

When I did mine I used a crosswmembers front and rear with an f1 tranny crossmember and the rear just fit inside the stock a subrails with some minor trimming.

Here is a pic before I installed the a rear crossmember.
    011-2_zps505bc601.jpg

And a shot of the car done.

18620719_816974868478457_6433099695153238035_o.jpg

mike bowling and bct like this.
  13. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Krylon. Not sure how you are pie-cutting the cowl? Interesting.

Thanks Ford Truck Nut.

14. bct

bct

I just pie cut mine last week. The 32 frame kicks up in the front too and the cowl bottom has to be modified. Mine was about 3/8" + to nothing all the way to the A pillar.

15. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BCT - do you happen to have some pictures of what you did?

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

The front body to frame bolt runs through a sheet metal 90* bend in the subfloor extension/ lower firewall...
    it will cut easily...
    I did that because my frame arched upward towards the front... I trimmed the front bolt area and the wooden block...
    this removes the front bolt, I use the rear body to bumper brace brackets as front body mounts... vvvvvvxxxx.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    el Roach likes this.
  17. bct

bct

Sorry . I just cut the side panels with a zip. 1/2" above the bottom. I still need to adjust from the inside though.

18. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

kidcampbell71 and el Roach like this.
  19. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks a bunch Sloppy J. and BCT!

20. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks very much Sam (51 farm truck)!!! I think this has been the most helpful as I read your entire thread on the 30 roadster that you put on a 32 frame. The pictures were great and I think that I'm going to copy some of what you did.
    I don't have the means to bend up my own back subrail pieces, but I can buy some 32 rear pieces and that should work!!! :D Cool!! I'm anxious to get at it!

21. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

I am using the steadfast kit in my 29 roadster project on a pinched 32 frame. It does not come with much of anything for directions, but there is info on their web site. I like the kit. It fits well, but you do have to think a little. you don't just go in and wack out the stock stuff, and install it.

22. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Alaska Jim! I'll check out the website.

23. bct

bct

24. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. bct

bct

Im pretty sure the build linked above is steadfast as well