Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Oldsmobile 371 Engine Stuck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mudbog42, May 14, 2018.

1. mudbog42

mudbog42

So I've been putting together one of my long term projects, a 1960 Oldsmobile, and have run into a snag. I've reinstalled the engine (371 Olds) and transmission (Jetaway Hydramatic) into the car and when I went to crank it, all I got was a "clunk" sound. After this, I pulled the plugs and put a breaker bar on the front crank bolt and sure enough, the engine won't turn over. The motor and trans were always garage kept and ran good before they were removed from the car. Needless to say, I'm thinking something is binding or the engine seized from sitting too long...not really sure at this point. I now have the cylinders soaking in mystery oil and pulled the starter and bell housing to take a look and don't notice anything that could be catching. I'm almost positive I remember being able to turn the motor to connect the flex plate back to the torque converter and don't know why it won't turn over now.

If anyone has any advice on what I should check or do, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really sure on how to proceed at this point.

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How long did it sit since it ran?

3. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

If you have Iron Rings, Good Luck.....................

4. das858

das858

Try removing the starter and then turning the engine with a breaker bar, I've seen starter drives stick causing the engine to act like it's stuck.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.

5. Sporty45

Sporty45

He already removed the starter.

6. mudbog42

mudbog42

It’s been about 7 years since it last ran.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. BJR

BJR

How long ago was it when you bolted the trans to the engine? If recent and you remember you most probably had to turn the engine to bolt up the converter, the trans/converter must be binding. Maybe the converter is not engaged correctly into the transmission.

8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, since the starter has been removed............

The most torque you can generate when trying to unstick an engine is by using a large screwdriver or pry bar as a lever between the starter hole and the teeth on the ring gear, as suggested by @das858 . Have you tried to turn the flywheel this way?

In post #1 which I re-read a couple times in order to keep from being blasted due to suggesting something you already tried, you said you removed the bellhousing. The engine is in the car, but you removed the bellhousing?

9. mudbog42

mudbog42

I connected them together about 3-4 weeks ago. I was also thinking the converter may be binding. Only now with everything stuck, I’m not sure how to disconnect it to check.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  10. mudbog42

mudbog42

I have tried using a screwdriver to turn the the flexplate. If I recall correctly that is also how I was able to turn it to bolt everything back together when I put the motor and trans back in a few weeks ago.

My apologies, I misspoke. The actual bellhousing was not removed, just the inspection/dust cover.

11. It has probably collected some moisture. They will stick of you don't rotate them from time to time. Some marvel mystery oil or automatic transmission fluid to soak the cylinder and just rocking it back and forth and eventually it should come loose. Don't get in a hurry it is a patience game.

Your other option is a gasket set and pull it down. That is a faster if not more costly solution.