Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A cool roadside attraction!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 1, 2018.

1. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

441C71AD-E906-4E11-B1C8-10827089F23B.jpeg On my recent RT 66 trip in Missouri

2. { I.RANT } Thanks for sharing your road trip photos. A Forty Ford coupe, on a Route 66 road trip! It doesn't get any better than that.:) We spotted this large rocking chair, at a farm market along Va. U.S. Rt.-7. It's not near as BIG, as the one you found. But we did take some Fun photos. The cutie is my grand daughter. ;) Ron.... 20161106_153208.jpg 2273.jpg 20171013_133731.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  3. lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  4. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

The long Limo and 18 wheeler in the air is always a welcome site on the way to Carlisle, it mean in just a few minutes you will be up to your ears in car parts! I looked for you parts hauler wagon at Carlisle but never saw it! We are counting the days until Fall Hershey now!!

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

6. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

I don’t know if the sign was an original or not, but it was on an aircraft hangar in Kissimmee FL. Here is what was inside the hangar.
    IMG_1453.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. { JNAKI }I would just like to say THANKS, for your sharing the history of California piers. We were able to visit most of them. My favorite one was the { SANTA MONICA PIER }. We ate at the Mariasol Mexicana restaurant, and enjoyed the sunset. Also it was a lot of fun parking right on the pier, and with the very COOL amusement park too. We made some great memories, and I think next to Virginia, I'd pick California as the best place to live. ;) Ron.... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  9. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

My dad worked for Chrysler during the 50s and we made the annual trip from Detroit to Ala via US 31 back in the 50s.
    Us kids begged to spend the night in the TeePee Village in Cave City, KY but it never happened.
    Surprisingly it's still in business - maybe I need to put it on my bucket list.
    Tried to take a short roadtrip a while with my grand-kids but it was hopeless with their faces stuck in the phones.

http://wigwamvillage.com/
    TeePee Village Inn
    601 North Dixie Hwy
    Cave City, Kentucky 42127

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm beginning to think that the biggest setback to civilization in history is the combination of smartphones and social media.

11. Willy_P

Willy_P

With Memorial Day coming up I wanted to remember the purpose of the day, which is to
    honor and remember those who have died in military service.

I went to see the Iowa Freedom rock near Menlow Iowa in 2009 when we started our trip from Kansas City to Chicago to start our route 66 trip.
    At that time there was only the one near menlo, and he repainted it each year.

A friend of mine in cedar Rapids shared these links with me yesterday, and they blew me away.

Ray "Bubba" Sorensen II is the artist who has an amazing perspective that he paints onto these rocks. He has started an effort to paint one rock in each county in Iowa to honor American vets, and to promote Iowa tourism.
    I just wanted to share this information because I am a Viet Nam vet and the painted images really speak to me.
    A google search of "iowa freedom rock" and choose Images, will give you a great look at his work if you are not able to visit Iowa in person.

And if you are traveling on Memorial Day weekend, be safe.

https://www.thefreedomrock.com/iowa-fr-tour-info/
    https://www.thefreedomrock.com/iowa-fr-tour-pics/

Bill

Attached Files:

12. Willy_P

Willy_P

Upon reading further, there is a program to eventually have freedom rocks in all 50 states.

https://www.thefreedomrock.com/50statefreedomrocktour/

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. WILLY_P, From one vet to another, thanks so much for the info on the Freedom Rock project. Bubba Sorenson is an amazing and talented artist whose paintings depict reality like a photograph and bring that reality and awareness to the contributions and sacrifices countless veterans have made to keep all Americans safe and able to do the things we like to do.

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

IMG_0211.PNG You mean ... this ain't "Freedom Rock" ?!?

chryslerfan55 and Willy_P like this.
  15. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

IMG_3353.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Does anyone have a road trip planned for this Memorial Day weekend? If so, be safe and have fun. I'm heading to the Jalopy showdown in Pa. But whatever you do, don't forget our great vets who died. So we can be free, and enjoy this great country. GOD BLESS THE USA ! Thanks Ron....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. scotts52

scotts52

Ron,
    I was fortunate enough to be in Hawaii on the 60th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. What an honor it was to get to meet so many vets and hear the first hand accounts. It was also very sad as I heard more than one speaking of the drastic rate at which their numbers were dwindling.

18. 392

Ditto to the Vets Ron. No plans here just continue wiring on ride.

19. Hey Ron, thanks for the Memorial Day safety note and reminder to not forget our Vets. It's important for folks to remember what the holiday is all about. I found it special that you used a photo of the Arizona Memorial. I was a Viet Nam era vet who was stationed, among other places, at CINCPACFLT for a couple years. CINCPACFLT is located right up the hill from the Arizona Memorial. I passed by that sacred place daily coming from Pearl to work and going from work back to Pearl. I will never forget what happened on that fateful day and the sacrifices made not only on that day, but by all of our servicemen through the years to keep us safe and free allowing us to enjoy the things we have and do. God Bless the USA, for sure!! The Jalopy Showdown is this weekend and it's going to be a wet and rainy one, so you be careful and have safe travels coming and going.

20. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In the previous posts of Cool Attractions on the California coastline for hot rod enthusiasts, there was mention of piers that allow driving out on the structure itself. One, the Huntington Beach Pier only allows driving out onto the pier for specific events, like the annual woody events, it is not a daily occurrence. The small towns, like San Clemente, also allow woody wagons to drive out onto the pier only during these times, like the “Woodies on The Pier” event. It is usually held in the summer and driving on the pier is not allowed during other times.

Jnaki
    upload_2018-5-20_6-5-57.png Driving on the pier for one event only, not a daily item. This recent So Cal magazine cover portrays an event that occurs once a year. There are other cities that do the same. It is an invite only, but a public display on the pier.

Most of the beach side cities that have piers large enough to drive were listed in the previous article. This is just an update for everyone to check your local events to see if they allow driving on the beach side piers. There are only a few that allow daily driving out on the pier to view the surroundings, dine at restaurants and fish off of the piers.

If there are other cities/piers that allow this unusual feat...as the saying goes: "post them up..."

Bowtie Coupe and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  21. { JNAKI }Thanks again, for all your interesting and informative post. As for Piers on the east coast, that you can drive on. I'm not aware of any. You don't see as many here, and they're not near as long as the west coast piers. But I do remember as a kid, my parents taking us to Atlantic City NJ. a lot. They had a road course on the steel pier, with small gas powered Corvettes. They were like the ones that Disney used. They were kinda scary, and fun at the same time. ;) I also remember the diving horse. The planters peanut store. The diving Bell, and the old man who played and sold kazoos. I need to check with my dad, and see if he has pictures of us from back then. { the late 50's to the 60's } Here's a few old photos from way back. The steel pier was very long and grand, at one time. Ron... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

You know, I miss the days when the boardwalk was lined with all sorts of businesses, tattoo parlors, beer joints hot dog stands and all, just like your pics of Atlantic City above, Ron.
    I remember visiting Virginia Beach around '57-'58 and again a couple of years later, both times while at Little Creek, VA naval base for USMC amphibious training, and the boardwalk was like that, even to having a roller coaster, ferris wheel, etc. Had fun:)
    Back there again about 2003, and now it's all big condo high rises, fancy restaurants, and other high end stuff.
    Back a block or more off the beach there was just a sprinkling of the remainder of the old days establishments. I was disappointed.
    But I did find a good, off the beaten path, on a over the water pier on the inlet, seafood, oyster bar and beer joint:):cool:

23. Some photos from our Route 11 potato chip factory tour. Best part they gave us FREE tater chips! It's at Mt. Jackson Va.:) Ron.... 1013.jpg [​IMG] 1018.jpg 1023.jpg 1022.jpg 1028.jpg [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the story on this...My sister told me about this old truck in a bush in Calabogie, ON. several years ago.

Last weekend I was in Calabogie seeing family and we went for a stroll. We were passing an eatery (The Redneck Lounge) that I had actually ate at one time not spotting it then and noticed this ole rusty this time...it ain't going anywhere soon...;)

I guess to the average Joe this isn't an attraction but we are different...:confused::D

TFoch, Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. [​IMG]
    Great! They were the kids favorite.;)
    [​IMG]

27. redidbull

redidbull
    from Ct

We used to go to my Grandparents in Florida from here in CT every couple years. 95 wasn't the whole way so we needed to run 301 alot. I am going to go through some old pics and see if there is anything cool. I do remember seeing a chain gang in GA and being scared seeing theses guys on the side of the road chained together with guards with shotguns at the ends. South of the Border was always a great stop to get the mandatory fire crackers. They even had "cherry bombs"!! Jim

28. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I've made the drive from NJ to Fla about a million times over the decades. We always get a kick out of their billboards. The place itself though isn't like it was in the 60s and 70s. It's a real dive now. Sadly we don't even stop.