Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Original paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Irish Mike, May 15, 2018.

1. What's your thinking on keeping original paint? I have a 46 that still has factory maroon paint and it doesn't look that bad, it's all there, scratches and all, but I'm struggling with having it painted. One of the back fenders has a primer spot applied by the PO and I could probably have that blended in. Is OG paint still have value like I think it has or am I thinking backwards here? I am painting the wheels..... aaab.jpg

2. flat 39

flat 39

Rub it out, wax it,and enjoy it

3. ...once you mess with it, you can never go back, buff it out, try that awhile, if you don't like it , then re-paint...I like original paint.

Muttley, F&J and spurgeonforge like this.
  4. Wicked as is.

F&J likes this.

5. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Leave her be. she'll only be original once, and she's earned every scar.

scrap_metal and F&J like this.
  6. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Leave it.

F&J likes this.
  7. On any car I own/owned I always assess what I perceive the end result should be, to best suit my needs/taste.
    Is the car going to be a driver?, show car?, unrestored classic?, or, and I hope for you, just for your own enjoyment..and then what will it take to arrive at that end goal?
    If I had just bought your woodie, I would blend the back fender, and cut/buff the rest of the paint.
    Woodies have a wholesome, outdoorsy, vibe to them which suits original patina (I hate the use of that word, but it does fit in this circumstance).
    Nice car.

8. If you understand it and appreciate it, it has value.

9. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'd leave it.

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be tempted to rub the primer off the rear fender and see whats under it, and then leave it the way it is with just a good cleaning and waxing.

Saxman likes this.
  11. If original paint is solid in my world it is the way to go unless you are building a show car. I like old paint waxed (buffed?) and driven. There is just a look that it has that suits me. Not everyone will agree but if its opinion wanted that's my opinion.

Irish Mike and wicarnut like this.
  12. wicarnut

wicarnut

A survivor car is only an original 1X. IMO keep as is, possible buff ? not a paint guy, but old paint can be brought back to life. You can blend in that primered spot and not loose original, most survivor cars have had some paint repair, believe rule of thumb is 90% orig, 10% repair/repaint is standard/acceptable. Kool old Woody !

porknbeaner likes this.
  13. There was a lot of hard work done to preserve this car all these years. If you give up on the original paint then all that work will have been done in vain.

Irish Mike likes this.
  14. Latigo

Latigo

I agree with the group. Leave the original paint. Mine, unfortunately, was too far gone.

15. Clean it, wax it and enjoy the beautiful woodie that you have

16. To me, it depends on what else has been done to the car. Obviously the woodwork has been redone/ refinished, is the interior new? In that case I would finish the restoration and paint it. If the wood and interior were original, I would definitely keep it the way it is...

My 2 cents...

17. catdad49

catdad49

I would attempt to bring the paint backand live with it awhile. I think you will find that the ones who get it will commend your efforts. Share some pics after the process, Thanks.

18. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got a 64 Caddy still in original paint............still not bad looking caddy.jpg

catdad49, Irish Mike and Bleach like this.
  19. It's only original once.

Bleach and Robert J. Palmer like this.
  20. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I would enjoy as is. As far as the.new wood finish with older paint, that's to be expected with a woody.
    Woodies had to be revarished every few years as the finish is high wear and high maintenance.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Front fender looks pretty 'speckled', if a hard rub won't bring the maroon back (doubtful that it will) any more 'patina' is simply compromising the extreme woodwork that's apparently been done...There is a line there...
    My wife is acquainted with a young man that works for Roy (Brizio) who does 'patina'. He is great at it, so IF that front fender looks any "less maroon" when finished rubbing, maybe a thin coat of maroon to 'fill', not repaint...then rub it out as started. Just 'help' the mother color.

My tan '50 Ford coupe had red oxide primer showing thru, but I rubbed it out and waxed it anyway.
    The car, albeit clean as a whistle, looked like it had been sprayed with clear, over a shabby coat of what was once 'paint'...it looked like "The little match girl" just before she froze.

Irish Mike likes this.
  22. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't believe that no-one has told you to just spray it all flat black. But on a more serious note, it looks good. Just wax it and drive it.

23. 72 year old survivor paint is rare,especially on a woody.

Please don't repaint it. HRP

hrm2k likes this.
  24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm with the others, I wouldn't re-paint it. Take care of the existing paint and enjoy it.

25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

As long as there is no rust coming through,gone through to metal or bad rub through tp primer,I'm in the keep it polished camp. But if it looks like what some call heavy patina,then paint it

26. Squablow

Squablow

I'd either blend in the primer spot, or as someone else said, clean the primer off and see what's beneath, maybe you can just touch up a much smaller area. If this was some rusty field car I'd say different but the paint is pretty intact yet.

If you want to spend some money on it, spend the money on a new windshield pane and some proper tires.

27. New tires and wheel are coming. Maroon wheels with Tacoma cream pinstripes and black wall tires.......

28. Muttley

Muttley

Once you repaint it it's just like every other restored Woody.

Bleach and Irish Mike like this.
  29. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Keep it original.. My original paint 38 Standard after a 53 year hibernation.. Your's looks great as is... 38 sedan home 001.JPG 100_3964.JPG

30. flatford39

flatford39

Is that wood original??? I would color sand with 1000, 1500 & 2000 and than buff with a real mild agent like Preferred II. Keep an eye on the edges (mask them off is a good trick) and see how it turns out. Is that vynal roof correct???