Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Says the man that is looking for a 10.99 from the bullet !!! :D:D:D

2. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Says the man who is looking for a 10.99 from the 'bullet !!! :D:D:D

3. bobw

bobw

digger ressy 001.JPG Yeah RacerRoy3, looking for 10.99 but probably will never see it. The snow is almost all gone so a friend came over and helped be dig the frame out of the back garage. I spray bombed some thin spots in the paint. Yellow doesn't cover very well. I managed to put the narrowed rear end with Dutchman axles in even though my hips are not working. I get injections in a week and a half. Maybe then I'll have less pain. Tomorrow the front axle. It should be ready to run in a couple weeks. I'll get the friend who helped me today to drive the thing until I heal.

millelacsrick and loudbang like this.
  4. spanners

spanners

Looking good. It's too late now but when spraying yellows or orange, use white primer or a light coat of white first. The paints these days are more opaque due to not using yellow or red ochre as they contain lead. Mind you, that could've been the paint bloke spinning me a yarn but it makes sense to me.

loudbang and Crosley like this.
  5. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's hell to get old Bob, but you have a lot of company in the aches and pains department. I really like the yellow. Keep us supplied with photos as it goes back together. I can't wait to see how she looks with the narrow hips! :D:D:D

loudbang likes this.
  6. nugget32

nugget32

loudbang likes this.
  7. bobw

bobw

Got the front end cleaned and painted. Installed the master cylinder and brake pedal. Tried to put my new high stall converter on and button up the engine and Powerglide. The bolt pattern on the converter is too large for the flexplate. In fact, the bolt lugs hang up on the starter ring gear. As most of you know it is a 300 Ford 6 connected to a Powerglide, using a JW bell housing and flex plate. I called the converter builder and they are going to contact JW and get it sorted out.
    Thanks for the tip, spanners. I'll know to prime with a light color next time.
    Howdy Jerry. How would you like to be an official pit crew member?
    more digger 001.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  8. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Bob for the progress report and photo. Keep them coming. :):)

loudbang likes this.
  9. bobw

bobw

I determined the two bolt patterns on my JW flexplate are 10 1/2" and 10 3/4". The converter bolt pattern is 11 1/2". Freakshow said they would send the correct converter and a return box for the one I have. Good deal. I'm scheduled to get injections in both hips next week. Hopefully I'll be able to walk normally, bend over, kneel, sleep, etc. Now my shoulder is hurting so I suppose I'll get a shot in that too. If this doesn't work I don't know how I'll get anything together.

loudbang likes this.
  10. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After a while you just try to treat pain like your wife....you do your best to ignore it and continue doing what makes you happy. :D

loudbang likes this.
  11. bobw

bobw

Still waiting for the replacement converter. Got rid of the hokey steel wheels with round holes in them and had the slicks mounted on Ansen Sprints that I've had for 30 years.
    Got the Cortizone shots in both inner hips yesterday and one in the shoulder the day before. Doc says the hips should be good for quite a few more miles before replacement. Haven't been this pain free in many years. Hope it lasts.

Racer Roy3, do you think if my wife got steroid shots my pain would lessen? Hoping...

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Crosley and loudbang like this.
  12. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob, I read your post to my wife and she immediately went into the fetal position and told me that she hoped that your wife didn't follow this thread. She was really hoping that you would live long enough for us to get together. :D:D:D

loudbang likes this.
  13. bobw

bobw

Got a call from the converter guy. He can't get parts so I had to send the wrong converter back to be modified.
    In the meantime, I went to a swap meet Sunday and got a cramp in my calf. Turned out to be a big blood clot. Ended up in ER but the good news is the Docs think it can be treated with meds. I had two good pain free days, now the clot.

Yes, I too hope the little woman doesn't read this thread, Racer Roy.

Crosley and loudbang like this.
  14. bobw

bobw

I filled the rear end and bled the brakes. It's a roller now. Still waiting for the converter. At a standstill til I get it. Here's look at it with the narrow rear end and the Ansen Sprints.
    Grub and frame 007.JPG

Attached Files:

15. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah Bob, it's definitely narrowed but it sure looks good. It can't but help the handling too!

loudbang likes this.
  16. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any progress photos of the 'bullet? I see on the Meltdown Drags site that they turned away over 400 applicants for this years event because they were maxed out. Were you aware of the new rule concerning oil retention devices? It won't affect you this year but might in the future if you hit your 10.99 goal. It can't help but speed the program up and allow for more passes.

loudbang likes this.
  17. spanners

spanners

What are the new oil retention devices? Nappies (sorry, diapers) under the engine and 'box?

18. bobw

bobw

Spanners, I haven't built anything yet. There are some companies that make custom diapers at a reasonable cost. I might use one of them. If not, I will build an aluminum pan about 1 1/2" deep and put "Pig Mat" absorbent pads in it. Hold them down with expanded metal.
    I'm gradually getting the dragster together as time and my worn out body permit.

loudbang likes this.
  19. nugget32

nugget32

Finally managed to find this post. Ya, I would love to be on your crew. Just give me a call.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  20. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How is the re-assembly going Bob? Will you have a chance to shake it down before the Meltdown?

loudbang likes this.
  21. bobw

bobw

Roy, I got my converter back and it is too "thick". Probably made for a set up with a mid plate, which I don't have. I put the original converter back in because of time constraints and I don't know if the builder will make it right to fit this application.
    Waiting for converter bolts and 3" wheel studs. Dumb me, I ordered 2" studs with the Dutchman axles then changed the rear wheels from steel to aluminum. Don't have quite enough stud length to keep the techs happy. It's 99% complete except for those two things.
    I also got the lower half of an EFI intake from Tom (old28) in California. Very generous of him. Thank you, Tom. Will make a plenum and put two Autolite carbs on it. I'll be using information that Tom got from The Frenchtown Flyer to build it. Thank you FTF. I'll probably get the two carb intake on it later this year but won't put the high stall converter til the season ends. Physically, I'm working at quarter speed these days. It's tough getting old.
    assembly 001.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  22. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear you Bob. As we get older life seems to be all about degree of difficulty. It's good to know that you are making progress on the rebuild. I look forward to seeing how the changes improve the E.T. at Byron. I hope that it isn't 99 degrees with 85% humidity like it is now.

loudbang likes this.
  23. bobw

bobw

I put 3" wheel studs on the axles to pass tech. Received this EFI lower manifold from old28 in California. Thank you, Tom. Started building a plenum on it to mount two Autolite two barrels.
    Digger Intake 002.JPG

24. bobw

bobw

It's all buttoned up except for fluids and body panels. Almost ready for some driveway action.
    The intake is coming along too. even more intake 001.JPG

Drewfus, Crosley and loudbang like this.
  25. bobw

bobw

It's all together and it runs. Just need to top off the Powerglide then the cowl top can be put on it.
    On the dual intake I'm building I made a couple carb spacers out of walnut an welded a slantie strip in the plenum to eliminate the low trough where raw gas could pool.
    Digger Done 001.JPG

millelacsrick, loudbang and Crosley like this.
  26. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Lookin good bobw,bring her to Tulsa Sat night SDRA is runnin.

loudbang likes this.
  27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Nice job Bob. What size carbs are you using? Methinks you'll like the new intake.

loudbang likes this.
  28. bobw

bobw

Mr. Mac, I sure would like to get there some day. Right now the car at the Meltdown Drags in Byron, Illinois and I'm home. Wanted to go Friday morning but it looks like a wet weekend and my body is hurting. Dave will do a good job driving it but it might go a bit slower as he is a full size person.

FTF, I'll start with 1.08 carbs as I have 3 of them and only one 1.14.

loudbang likes this.
  29. bobw

bobw

The car made it to the Meltdown Drags but I didn't. Feeling rotten and the forecast of rain kept me from going. Dave & Tom had he car tec'd Thursday. Friday, after siting in staging for a few hours Dave made it to the water box where he was shut down because of a leak. The floor mounted master cylinder cover came off and fluid was dripping. Saturday was 1/8 mile only because water was coming up through the track farther down. Dave lined up and built some RPM against the brake. It pushed through the beam and he red lit. Waited several tenths and then took off. Lousy e.t. but 95 mph, which is quite good.
    I received the high stall converter and it looks good. Going to have shoulder surgery today so it'll be a while before the converter is installed. Curently rebuilding two carbs for the home made manifold. That might be on the car for the end of August Fun Race.

30. bobw

bobw

Shoulder surgery went well today. Tore up a lot more shit in there than was expected. Will be down for a while. Arm has no feeling at all from nerve blocker, for now. Pain at 11:00.