Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical rear drum brake

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sponge, May 14, 2018.

1. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

so when the backing plate says "left" is that drivers side or passenger side?
    also should the E brake hole face forward..

2. Driver's side is the left as you look at the front of the car. Since you don't say what car or brakes you have, I would think that the E-brake hole is in the forward position. Most cables for those come from the front of the vehicle.

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

To put another way. The car's left not your left.

4. Yes the drivers side is the left. I might have been better to say "Driver's side is the left as you look out the front of the car while sitting in the seat....". You choice of words might have the person looking at the front of the car while standing in front of it giving the wrong answer. Maybe you were the victim of the dreaded "auto correct".

Charlie Stephens

5. In left hand drive cars the left side is the the drivers side...In all cases the left side of the car is "the cars left" or the left side as you are sitting in it... or simply "drivers left".

31Dodger likes this.
  6. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

But who`s on first???

Jesse Z likes this.
  7. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Lefts on first.....Right?

8. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Port and Starboard work too.

Just Gary likes this.
  9. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

So sitting in the car facing forward. left is left.

10. Yes that's correct.

Some newer vehicles have the brake cable hole on the front of one backing plate and on the rear of the other. Only one part number needed that way, I guess.

31Dodger likes this.
  11. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

Thanks for that advice.

12. BJR

BJR

In England the steering wheel is on the right. In the USA the steering wheel is on the left. If that helps?

31Dodger likes this.
  13. Another way to view it is to pretend you are the car as you sit in the seat looking out the front window. The right and left for the car is the same as the right and left for you.

Charlie Stephens

31Dodger likes this.
  14. Man, do I ever feel like an idiot. I usually re-read my posts, but in this case, I did not. Thanks for catching that.

15. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

IMG_5293.JPG
    So this was on the passenger side, it came already mounted. E brake is facing rear which is why I questioned originallay.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

16. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Is that the passenger side and why is the starwheel adjuster cramed in the top shoe?

17. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

When it shipped the adjusters fell out I just put it there so I don’t forget it, first pic is passenger side and second pic is driver side.

18. are the linings on all four shoes the same?

19. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

no, 1 small and 1 big, I have figured whoever installed them before shipping put them on the wrong sides. guess i have to remove the axles and swap the whole lot over.
    How do the axles come out. Ford 9" Johns rear end.

20. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

with it being a new and never driven the axle should be easy to remove. Just the
    4 bolts and a slide hammer maybe?

21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That hole in the axle plate allows acces to the bolts. You can turn the drum around and use it like a slide hammer against the lug nuts.

bct likes this.
  22. I would also wonder why the adjuster fell out during shipping; assuming the drums were in place as usual. Different kind of self-adjusting set-up than the Bendix style I'm used to seeing on 9" rears.

23. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

Once I get these axle's out and the backing plates switched out I will have a better idea whats going on. I think the adjusters had just been placed in there poorly.

24. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

In most cases the shoe with the shorter amount of lining will be the front shoe.

25. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Another tip is to make sure the adjusters are on the correct sides. as they have right and left threads.

26. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

I have removed the axles and swapped the backing plates around and built the brakes back up. all looks good now thanks for the help fellows.

tb33anda3rd and RICH B like this.