Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Thoughts on Repop 32 Radiator Shells and Grills

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stock Racer, May 3, 2018.

1. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Looking for recommendations on repop 32 shells and grills. Gonna chop it and its not a museum piece. Have you purchased one from an online auction that you're happy with? Spend a little more and get the Speedway deal? How about from a HAMB vendor? already chopped would be great.

2. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I fixed a brand new Vintiques grille shell to fit a brand new no name grille, both from Speedway. The four corners didn't fit worth a damn. I did it for a friend, but if it was mine, and I had to do it again, I would have sent one or the other back. Had to cut and slice the corners on the grille shell to fit the grille. Wasn't worth the time it took for me to do it, and I wouldn't do it again.

Doc. and Stock Racer like this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Jvo is fussier than us mere mortals. Got a Speedway grille with a Brookville shell. Don't fit that great but I can live with it.

Stock Racer likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Love my Dales Mfg insert.

20170304_092551.jpg

Stock Racer and catdad49 like this.

5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Brookville shell and insert thru Speedway. For a little more than buying each piece separately, you can get them pre fit and assembled by Brookville. Came direct from Brookville, Speedway just brokers the deal. Very happy with the quality and fit so far.

SPark

Grilleshell1.jpg Grilleshell2.jpg Grilleshell3.jpg mockup9.jpg

6. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I got mine from Drakes a few years ago.
    Perfect fit, very happy

Stock Racer likes this.
  7. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Thanks guys, anyone else?

8. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

I bought one from Bob Drake a few years ago and an insert from Dale's and it didn't fit worth a damn.

Stock Racer likes this.
  9. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

I bought one and on the top by the crown it looked like a sack of walnuts. Looked around and found a reasonably priced original.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Stock Racer likes this.
  10. 48stude

48stude

I wasn't sure if I was going to run a chopped shell and insert. I looked for an insert that I could take apart if I decided to shorten it. I found that most inserts were flash chromed stainless except for Dales Manufacturing . So I searched for a Dales. In the meantime I figured why pay top dollar for a Brookville when there was a chance I may cut it up so I opted for an import from ebay. $150 delivered. I wasn't too worried because I planned to cut it up anyway. Well I decided not to cut it and I would run it the stock height. When I tried to insert my insert ,it wouldn't fit. The insert was to long. So I sectioned the shell's chin to give me the length . Only to find that the shells opening was too wide. So I cut the shell in halves and massaged things until everything was copasetic. I had to trim the area where the lacing sits in because it was all wavy. In hindsight, You know the old adage ,You get what you pay for.:p Bill
    P1020406.JPG

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Stock Racer likes this.
  11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I have found, after personal experience and listening to most of these yahoos over the years, is this:

Shell:
    Vintiques Shell = best reproduction. Original inserts should slip right in. Dales inserts as well.

Brookville and others = Little massaging needed.

Insert:
    Dales. Or original.

12. goldmountain

goldmountain

What I failed to mention before was that my grille is the Speedway 4 1/2" chopped one and I shortened the shell to fit.

Stock Racer likes this.
  13. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I was thinking about going this route. Once I get the body on the frame I'll do some measuring and see if 4 1/2" is enough (channeled T Coupe).

14. Nothing fit's like Henry's but the best aftermarket insert is Dales, Hands down but they are expensive and a waste of money when you intend to cut it to fit your car,If it were me I would go for one of the on line aftermarket grille's and insert, you can make it fit after massaging it to your specifications. HRP

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Stock Racer likes this.
  15. 48stude

48stude

Dan, Here is my opinion for what it's worth. Every insert that I was able to inspect in person was chromed ss . My thoughts were that if I decided to chop my insert I needed to be able to weld the stainless in which the chrome would hamper the process . Dales are real ss and I would be able to polish it after metal finishing. Just my way of over thinking things. I took a pic of the Dales insert spot weld showing the HAZ. On all the other inserts this had been chromed over. Bill
    P1020404.JPG

Stock Racer likes this.
  16. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Thanks to all for the great info! Sounds like it's best not to cut corners here.

17. I think Dale's has stopped making 32 grille inserts.

da34guy likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dales hasn't got the new setup done to make them yet. They had some issues but the person who got back to me said they are working on it.

Stock Racer I thought I posted it before but if you haven't bought one yet check Kenny' rod and custom on Ebay for a "blem" 32 shell. I bought one for 200 rather than 275 and the only issue is some scratches where some metal shavings or something ha been on the die. Perfect for chopping though.
    But then if you are going to chop it down and move it around 90 bucks for an off shore one with free shipping is hard to argue with
    eBay item number:
    Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  19. They have been workin on it for over 2 1/2 years. I doubt it'll ever happen.

20. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Thanks for the info. I'm less than an hour from Kenny's and I've never been there. Gonna check it out.

21. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Bummer.