Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 302 GMC identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WJ, Sep 13, 2016.

1. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

WJ, you're a machinist. The closer you set the clearances, the lighter the lubricant. What's inside your 302 ?
    I think our Phillips bulk plant carries non-detergent oil in 5 gallon pails ... don't hear much about it anymore ...

2. WJ

WJ

Finally got time to pull the 235 from my "53" GMC and start the process of the swap to the 302 power plant. So far everything has gone well up to now. Bellhousing from the 235 fits perfectly clutch assembly and the old foot stomp starter will fit/work. (The 302 came with a solinoid type starter installed). The only issue I have come across is the front motor mount. The front mount has only 1 stud on the rubber mount but the truck as 2 holes, 1 either side of center. Has anyone had this issue? Do they offer or make a mpunt with 2 studs or bolt holes to bolt this into the GMC?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. squirrel

squirrel

might have to drill a hole?

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Let's see the plate behind the timing cover to determine what's there. If it's a later production engine, you may want an earlier front plate which will make it a bolt-in job.

5. WJ

WJ

Here is a picture of the front motor mount that is currently on my 302. If the 2 bolt mount is a rare bird to acquire the. I am not opposed to drilling a hole tp use this set up. 20180513_061743.jpg

6. WJ

WJ

Okie Pete and Hnstray like this.
  7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That should drop right in the hole ...
    You need a harmonic balancer, so decide which belt width to run & replace accordingly.

8. Cool truck - needs more lights..
    I’ve been casually looking for a 302 for my ‘51 GMC. My little 228 runs great a but 302 sounds good a lot more fun.

“Stock up now — before the hoarders get it all!”

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You might check with V8Packard (Jack Vines) here on the HAMB. He is in Spokane, and mentioned knowing about many bus 302 engines that were available.

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  10. WJ

WJ

302 GMC. You mentioned I need a harmonic balancer I'm just wondering what you're in reference to as I believe there's one on it with a belt?

11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The outer ring & rubber are missing. I can't post pictures on this comp., or I'd show a complete balancer.

12. WJ

WJ

13. WJ

WJ

I don't mind running the wide v belt. Looks kinda cool and different

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I believe there are people on the Inliners International that modify SBC dampers or something and sell them for GMC engines.

15. WJ

WJ

I will try there. Thank you to all who have helped me on this project. Jeff

16. WJ

WJ

Will the harmonic balancer fit from my 235 Chevy motor?

17. gas pumper

gas pumper

Yes, but it will not work with high rpm's. It would be OK for street driving. And it might help you with getting the belt drive right.

18. WJ

WJ

I'm not looking for hi rpm's. Just a daily driver and a few local shows.

19. WJ

WJ

I finally got the 302 engine in and running. I do have a question for the group about the carburetor thats was used on the 302. The one that is on this 302 is a Bendix Stromberg WW. Is that the correct carb for this motor? And I did purchase and install a new set of Fenton split exhaust manifolds. It seems as if the engine is running extremely lean. Is this a result of the Fentons? Any info/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you WJ

Hnstray likes this.
  20. You have a low mile engine, so you could use any modern severe duty oil, multi_grade or synthetic.
    I use synthetic oil in all my equipment, including my antique stationary engines. This idea that you have to use old style oils with old engines is BS.
    Bob

Cosmo49 likes this.
  21. WJ

WJ

Looking for any info related to bearing numbers, seals, and shims for my 1953 GMC 1/2 ton with an enclosed drive shaft. I was going to order the kit from Patrick's classics but read about the bad times the others have had here on the hamb
    So, where else can I purchase this type of kit?