Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Whipple Supercharger Problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brassspike, Apr 14, 2018.

1. brassspike

brassspike

I have a low runtime whipple 2.3 supercharger. Pulley is wobbling so there is a bearing going south somewhere. My guess is in the snout. I've called whipple and another rebuilder and both will not offer any ideas on what is wrong, just "send it in and we'll fix it." The rebuilder offers rebuild kits but will not tell me how to properly disassemble the thing and I don't want to bugger it up.
    Anyone have any experience with these blowers?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. brassspike

brassspike

WOW! No one? I'll give some feedback on my own post then. Although I have never noticed the wobble before it is/was there. It's hard to imagine that I could have not seen that before but there is no denying it. After thoroughly checking I found that the shaft hub was out of true by about 8 thousands. I had that machined true and now the pulley runs true. I disassembled the gear case and everything looked fine but the entire case was coated with a red coating and the fluid looked the color of rusty water. It was oil but had that color. it was so bad that it coated the sight glass so that you couldn't see through it. I cleaned everything in there with lacquer thinner pretty well and filled it back with 5/30 Mobile one. I have run 4 fluid changes through the gear case over the last two weeks and the fluid looked fine...UNTIL I filled it back with "supercharger oil.” After one drive it is rapidly going back to the red color and coating everything! The only thing I did between motor oil and S/C oil was rinse the motor off but there is no way water could get in.

Since Whipple and the other supercharger repair won't tell me anything unless I write them a $800-$950 check, can anyone shed any light?

3. Its not surprising that you have no responses....Its kinda like joining a PETERBUILT forum and asking about an airplane ....your vehicles,according to your profile page,are really far remote from what the HAMB is all about.. Maybe re-read the rules for the HAMB.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  4. brassspike

brassspike

I appreciate you taking the time to set me straight! I'm not asking how big of fart pipe to put on a Honda. If my post was in the wrong spot in the HAMB, I would have appreciated directions. I have a mechanical issue with a supercharger but I guess you're saying that the people in the HAMB don't use them or have the mechanical experience to offer input or ideas. Another has turbochargers. Heaven forbid that I need to ask about those darn things! (Petes and airplanes both have them) Since you have taken the time to look at my profile, I guess the '55 with a big block stroker, 4 link, etc. doesn't meet the standards either. I can read even though I have grease under my fingernails. I'll work on that reading assignment as soon as I get a chance.
    Again, thanks for your concern.

5. greybeard360

greybeard360

Whipple superchargers are not HAMB friendly... Far too new.
    GMC blowers... Fine
    Turbos.... Fine
    Paxton/McCullough... Fine

All available before 1965... Whipple's were not.

6. brassspike

brassspike

Its a gear box, regardless of when its built or what name is on the side. Paxton's and roots have gear boxes in them too. I wasn't asking about the compressor. I was hoping to find someone willing to help in (what I consider) the true spirit of hotrodding by helping a brother out. I see that myself and my projects are not one of you. I'll help anyone that I can.
    As a previous reply stated, after he checked my profile, none of my vehicles fit the HAMB. I suppose the '55 is also out of bounds because its a Ford. 1955 Fords are not traditionally built as hot rods. That's one reason that I am building it, it's not a 32-34 Ford with a Chevy engine. I'm told that there are more of them registered today than were ever built. I'm guessing that, if you have a fatman chassis, you don't belong either and get those Wilwood brakes off of there!
    While I'm off the subject of the original post, I remember why I don't belong to a car or motorcycle club. Invariably there is some elitist that turns their nose up at your question, workmanship, or something else that you have done to the car. At my age I don't need the drama anymore. You guys carry on out there and have a nice day.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I knew I'd help. Sorry

8. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

9. Have you tried not squeezing the Charmin?

10. trad27

trad27

I don’t see a problem with you posting it here, you didn’t mention any off topic car or off topic application it’s going in. Simply mechanical advise as there is a lot of very smart and experienced people on here. But I do see the reason not much replies, your title does say Whipple and most people scroll right past onto something else, and Whipple itself is too new. Wish I could help but I have no idea, guess I at least gave you a bump....

greybeard360 likes this.