Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Swap meet scores

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by george.barnes.754, Apr 28, 2018.

1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Topsham, me.
    Sunday's swap meet score card ;
    stainless '30 grill shell with emblem... $50.
    pr. repairable '30 cpe. quarter garnish... $15.
    rusty bottom A rear window garnish... $5.
    front half of a '28-'29 roadster left rear quarter... $10.
    [5] '37-'39 speedometer faces... $50.00
    ford auto floor shifter with built in NSLO switch... $10.
    '52 comm. glove box door, hinge and speaker grill... $20.
    A coupe / roadster spare tire mount to make a local tiquer happy...$10.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    enloe, NashRodMan and patmanta like this.
  2. Muttley

Muttley

I found a WWII surplus seat out a P-51 Mustang at a local swap last year for $40. It had been upholstered and the kid at the swap said it 'was in a old Dragster'. I wiped it off, brought it to the LARS last June and sold it for $700.

3. mopacltd

mopacltd

Joking with a guy at the Big 3 swap meet in San Diego. Told him I'd give him 5 buck for a small block Chevy Offenhauser tunnel ram and I'll be damned if he didn't sell it to me.

patmanta, enloe and scotts52 like this.
  4. At the Hershey swap meet in the mid '90s, a guy had a bunch of old car tags, most of it New York and Pennsylvania tags, and a few Maryland tags in the mix. He had one 1938 Georgia tag, new and still in the original wax paper envelope. The tag number had a 22 prefix, which indicates Polk County, the county I'm originally from and where I am now living in the house I grew up in. Gave $10 for it because he really only wanted to deal with NY and PA tags. Georgia lets us run YOM tags on '70 model and older, so the 1938 Polk County GA tag is on Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup, which is lettered as a shop truck for Drake Motor Co., our local Ford dealer back in the day, phone 13.

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I would be happy to double your investment if you need to pass it on:)

OahuEli likes this.
  6. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

I had a bone stock all original '54 Merc and I can guarantee those headlight rings are NOT original on a '54 Merc !

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Knghtcadi likes this.
  7. mopacltd

mopacltd

Sorry Enloe, It has already been sold. For a few dollars more than your offer.:D

enloe likes this.
  8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

WELL I GAVE IT A SHOT...

9. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. About 5 years ago... Local annual Swap Meet... Early Spring...

We get there very early (like 1st in line at the gate).. My brother an I typically split up and stay in touch via cell phone. I walk by a guy unloading his truck.. out pops a B&M Series 60 shifter for GM Turbo... Super clean..I had to wipe the smile off my face and then ask "how much" The seller tells me he was saving it for a "Ratrod" project but decided to sell it. "How about $25"... Luckly I had exact change..

About 12 years ago... My brother was running through a Dirt Track Swap Meet.. Off season... Late fall...

He comes upon a Chevrolet Cirello Magneto on table... Ask seller " How Much?" seller~ "How about $50".. Brother pony ups the cash... Seller~ "I never liked the looks of that mag"...

11. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

My latest score was not at a swap meet but at a boat auction of all things? I bid a $100 on a fiberglass boat with a BB Chevy that looked pretty good just sitting there. No one else bids so I get it for the $100. I take out the motor, remove all the brass components on the boat and get $178 in scrap for the brass. I take the motor apart and it turns out to be a 454 bored .030 with a 4-bolt main block and a steel crank!

Attached Files:

OahuEli, blowby, RICH B and 3 others like this.
  12. Oilguy

Oilguy

Regarding items with no price shown.
    Me: So what do you want for that $15 shop manual?
    Vendor: How about $15?
    Me: Sold
    Seems to work every time.

13. alchemy

alchemy

That's because he was gonna ask $10.

partsdawg, OahuEli, 60F250 and 4 others like this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Turlock, 2005. Coupla guys had some misc. stuff, but here was a chrome dropped axle, (Chassis engineering, steel one) Axle is bent, a good 15 degree 'wowee' just off center. Chrome isn't affected, also a pair of split chrome wishbones.
    I ask about the axle, guy says "$20." I pick up the axle, and the guy says, "Wishbones go with it..." My bud Larry grabs the wishbones. Some old fat guys are jawin' when we walk by, one of 'em says "Hey, that axle's bent. You can't fix 'em, they break."
    I say, "Thanks for the info...Maybe I can sell it for scrap..."
    Straightened the axle, waxed it with Mothers. Sold it at the swap near Livermore for $500. Kept the wishbones!

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Of course you guys are declaring these windfalls to the IRS right, yeh, right.

16. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Every penny ....:D
    DSCN4391.JPG

ffr1222k likes this.
  17. Ain't none of his biness

18. two couped up

two couped up
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from pa.

I've been looking for a Yankee 960 turn signal switch for a few years, most of them I found was way over priced or missing parts or damaged, I picked up a real nice one at spring Canfeild for 10.00 bucks, and it works.

19. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

You know, I didn't even think about that. It's probably from a truck because it, if I remember correctly, it has a normal looking mount for a 4-speed. I'm actually in Wisconsin where my car and bellhousing are right now. I'm going to have to take a picture of it and find out.

20. 15272692866061036188495.jpg
    NOS 4 speed bezel for my A body. Never used it, bought at my 1st Carlisle for $20
    That was 35 years ago.

enloe and 57 Fargo like this.
  21. pkhammer

pkhammer

An old guy near where I grew up ran an old repair shop. I stop in there in the early 80's just to visit and mentioned that I had just bought so-an-so's '67 GTO for $500. He says "well I got something back here you might need" and goes back to an old shelf and starts digging around. He came back carrying a 389 tri-power manifold with all the original carbs and air cleaners. He says "this'll fit that 400". I say how much. "$20".

22. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

pkhammer: I'll bet your hand still hurts from the way you damaged it getting your wallet out!! LOL!

OahuEli likes this.
  23. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

I got a 23 t fire wall and quarters for $25

enloe likes this.
  24. I was into big block Fords (FE) back in the late 70s early 80s. I bought one complete 3x2 setup from a 406 for $35 and another for about the same amount, I forgot how much. So I had 2 and then found another setup without the air cleaner at a flea market for $25 but didn't buy that one because I had them coming out of my ears at the time.

OahuEli, Boneyard51 and enloe like this.
  25. I have bought good stuff from "type specific" sellers, like the bloke who only has British stuff, but in the trailer has the odd Chevy or Ford part, but doesn't really know what he's got. Usually get the wallet out real quick when they tell you the price.

26. Not a automotive part but I bought this brass thermometer at a the Charlotte,N.C. swap meet a long time ago for a buck. HRP

004.JPG

OahuEli, enloe and elgringo71 like this.
  27. I had the same thermometer hanging on my porch at my old house for years. Forgot to take it off the nail when I moved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

28. pkhammer

pkhammer

56don, that truck in your avatar looks like my dream ride.

29. Thanks man. It is kind of mine too. I have wanted a 34 Ford pickup ever since a guy showed up in high school with one. It had a SBC with a cross ram sticking out the sides with a great rake and a California tag. Don't know if he got it out there but that really lit my fire and I tried to simulate it with this one. I just wish it had been easier and cheaper to build.

pat59 likes this.
  30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Really??? Times change, Bones