Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Things to try an avoid on a rod build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dana barlow, Aug 24, 2016.

1. belair

belair

Good stuff. I will echo/add "Don't let people know what you have or where you keep it." Friends of friends are often thieves.

GuyW, 41rodderz, RacingRoger and 3 others like this.
  2. No wife. Happy life.

No begging permission or forgiveness or sneaking around or drama. I can spend however I please on whatever I please.

'49 Ford Coupe and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The adage "If you can't eat it or sleep with it...chrome it" is not always applicable

Ok, it is applicable.

4. belair

belair

^^^^or at least polish it.

5. Build it safe
    Build it right

I think the biggest even before , money and space
    Is know what you need to know and also understand it takes ALOT of time and patience to see a project to its end.
    Lots of 1/2 finished projects for sale on the inter web
    Because of people thinking “ gas monkey does it in 4 days....”

It can take years as we all know.

6. belair

belair

"A man's got know his limitations."

7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

and your wallet

X-cpe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Don't buy old tires for anything but mock-up. Yet used tires are some times a good cost save to just use for size an roll around the shop. Things happen we don't plan on,like the build takes too many years an the big buck new tires become old hard cracked with zero miles =wasted $. They are used if tiny cracks can be seen{ most tires from new can last out of sunlight about 3+ years before drying out an starting to show cracks. That's just one more place to use our $ smart.

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of good advice. Have a plan and stick to it. Having built a few cars over the years I have made many of the mistakes mentioned. Don't cut corners!! Now when I build a car I have a plan, the money set aside and correct project lined up. I know pretty much what the total cost will be up front within 10-15% plus or minus. Wife knows the cost from the onset and helps with assembly and picks interior designs and leather colors-to her quality trumps cost.
    Years ago we were building a very nice 40 convertible. It was near the upholstery stage and was at the uph shop. The shop owner and I had come up with a design and a plan. She wanted to go see the progress and was not crazy about our choices in materials or colors and layout. She got with the uph guy and made some changes and it turned out fantastic BUT the price went from $8K to $14K!! Since then she is involved in interior design. She has been asked by others as well to help them with this part of their build.
    She also test drives before upholstery to hear and feel any "bugs" I may have missed. Learned this long ago after having to tear out upholstery to address issues. Only took me to being 70+ to figure this all out!!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Just Gary, charleyw, Paul and 4 others like this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

A friend of mine had his 55 Chevy upholstered for $5500.00. Asked him how he liked it. He replied "I wish I would have spent $10,000.00 for something I liked".

Spoggie and olscrounger like this.
  11. 27Roadsterguy

27Roadsterguy

It was well written, most of it I already knew, but it was good reading and I know it took a lot of time to type it up. Thanks for the write up :)

Spoggie and dana barlow like this.
  12. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Just remember it's only money. :)

13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Great thread Dana, I note that those attached pic's or diagrams, I don't know which, are not there anymore.
    Since there are only a couple how's about reposting them for historical purposes.
    Especially since you are still referring folks to have a read of it...
    Thanks.

14. Good read, thanks Dana...
    I would add this gem of wisdom
    Dont hold onto a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  15. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

Dana, thanks for the wisdom. And I'm glad you acknowledged the bad spelling (your pet peeve is badly done cars; mine is poorly written English...) But having said that, I'd rather you write a long winded "book of wisdom" in spite of the spelling. You taught me a few things, and I appreciate it. I happen to like big headlights mounted low, but you pointed out the safety hazard of that. I agree, and I'll carefully consider headlight mounting when I get that far. The only thing I disagreed with (because I fail to see a safety hazard with worn paint) is your patina comment. Sure, it may be rot, but as long as it's not ragged metal or rusted through, that's probably just a personal preference. Well done, and if you think of anything else, add it!

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Spoggie and dana barlow like this.
  16. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Build your car for yourself.
    Asking others if you should paint it this color or use these wheels should be avoided.
    Are you building the vehicle you want or building it hoping others will like it?
    If you don’t know what you like or want don’t even start.

17. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Here's a tip....don't buy your final tires until you're close to the end of your build.
    My 5W took 15 years, and the tires were out of date before the car hit the road!
    Stoopid me.

olscrounger, X-cpe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  18. indyjps

indyjps

This. I see a lot of builds that are left over streetrod parts, sprinkle in some circle track stock car parts, a dash of 80's G body. Hmm, I have this old car lets empty the shed and start welding and bolting crap on.

alanp561, zzford and chevy57dude like this.
  19. Same with the brakes. Projects always seem to take longer than planned and brakes don't age well.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    dana barlow likes this.
  20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Dana.Great thread.Thanks for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

dana barlow likes this.
  21. Been a few comments about tires, if you don't have the tires (at least the same size) along with the actual wheels you are going to use during your build; it may very well come back and haunt you.

22. ^This is true, and it's not always easy to find rollers in the exact size someone may need.

Spoggie and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. I know of someone (not me) that narrowed his rear axle twice for that exact reason; thought he could trust size numbers out of a book and just visualize how it would fit. Not.

F&J likes this.
  24. well worth it to hunt up the correct size rollers.

25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Santa standing in for other odd things I hang on rear view from time to time for fun. Yes this is a gas station from the 1930s,still selling gas,brand has changed an they don't give away dishs now with a fill up !!!
    IMG_2750.JPG

Spoggie, tb33anda3rd and alanp561 like this.
  26. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

When you are figuring out how much a build will cost, after you have priced out the big stuff, engine, trans, body, frame, radiator, interior, wheels and tires, air conditioning, double it for the small parts.

When doing final assembly, finish each step before going to the next one. If you are installing a hose, tighten all the clamps all the way, not just snug to "hold it in place". If bolting something on, tighten all the bolts before moving to the next step.

I have never felt the need to "just get it fired up" when building a car. If it has been checked over as you go, fire it, set the timing and carburetor, and drive it out the door.

Use a checklist when doing final assembly. Make sure to check the oil, trans fluid, coolant, brake fluid, axle lube, chassis lube, power steering, ect. before you try to drive it. Also list things that need to be finished when you are getting to the end.

Make a list of the part numbers of the parts you use. The next owner will thank you, or you may thank yourself in ten years.

27. @enjenjo I usually take this a step farther.

When I was little one of the things that I did when the Ol' Man just finished a major assembly was to go over it looking for things that either didn't seem right or things that didn't get tightened. I am luck enough to always have someone around that can do that for me. The missus, a guy who I am trying to teach or a racing buddy. It does not reflect on anyone badly to have someone give it a quick once over.

57 Fargo and dana barlow like this.
  28. A problem I have had in the past is buying a part I'm not really needing yet but it's on sale and a year later when I'm ready for the part I have misplaced it. HRP

29. Danny, at least you buy parts for what you're actually working on. The offbeat stuff I accumulate is questionable sometimes. Like buying parts for cars I've never owned...

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. grumpy65

grumpy65

Thanks Dana. Very good advice. More should take the time to read and think about the points you put forward. Your personal safety, and the safety of other road users, should be priority number one. I guess it is the old "form versus function" dilemma, but it really should be a no-brainer. IT HAS TO WORK PROPERLY AND SAFELY!!! The real skill is to then be able to make it look right. This is acheivable. There are many very impressive rods out there that have "the look" AND are built right. Be able to look, listen and learn. Sift through the bullshit to find the right answers. Plan, plan ,plan. Check, double check, then re-check. Build something that you can (if you so choose) keep for life.
    Hope all had a great Christmas, and wishing all a happy and safe 2019.

camer2 likes this.