Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '32 ford coupe found it's way back home after 56 years

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hapydz, May 16, 2013.

1. Santa (dressed in a UPS costume) just dropped off a couple of early gifts from his workshop (The Welder Series)....How did he know I needed a tranny support for the '32 ? I guess I have been a good little boy.....this year. Thanks Santa !!![ATTACH=full]3753065[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

loudbang, LOU WELLS and 31chevymike like this.
  2. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I guess it's hard to tell by the picture how this trans mount gets installed - I've never seen anything like it. You still have the original x-member in your chassis?

loudbang likes this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

4. A 71.jpg Mike, here is a photo I took yesterday after tacking in the tranny mount from the "Welder Series". It is a very nicely crafted package There front motor mounts got tacked in yesterday as well. I'm removing everything that gets bolted to the frame now that these items have been located so that I can flip it to do the finished welding. Bit by bit.....
    Happy New Year to All !!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  5. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Same to you Ron - you're moving right along!

loudbang and Hapydz like this.
  6. Jan 26,18,3.jpg Wheel test 2 .jpg SIZE=6][/ATTACH] Made a Hot Rod Parts Run into beautiful Minnesota on Friday to pick up a part for the '32 project, from Ryden's General Store at the border. Grand Marais , is on the shores of Lake Superior, thirty miles on down the road and is one of my all time favorite places as I have mentioned before, so we always have to go the extra distance for lunch and enjoy the view. The sound of the "rollers" making contact with the shore just adds to the beautiful scenery !The part mentioned above was a Smoothie Rim for the front of the '32. Did a test fit today and sure enough it all fits with a bit of room to spare. Now I can order another one.[/SIZE]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  7. 31chevymike

31chevymike

It's great to hear of your new progress Ron - front end is shaping up nicely! We're in the same situation with disc brakes being installed for the first time in existence! My setup is with So-Cal and will be disguised by polished Buick style finned drum covers.

Hapydz and loudbang like this.
  8. I have been giving this some thought and I feel that I have to set a goal for myself. I checked "life expectancy" on Google recently and found that if I lived in the USA, I would be dead by now. Since I live in Canada I am expected to live to the ripe old age of 82. So with this in mind, being 78, I set a goal of having a rolling chassis by June 20 of this year, when I turn 79....Stay tuned....

rpm56, LOU WELLS, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  9. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Now THAT'S a healthy outlook! :D

Hapydz, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  10. Skiroule69

Skiroule69

Awesome story! So glad you found your old car. We have vacationed in Baraga (Keweenaw Peninsula) every year since I was born, so I'm familiar with 'up north'. Wish I could make it my permanent residence. I always dreamed of finding something like this on the old back roads. Best of luck with your project!

loudbang, 31chevymike and Hapydz like this.
  11. Merkonic

Merkonic

I haven't been on here in quite a while but really enjoyed this story&cool picture.Do'nt worry about your age to much,my Dad is 88 and still drives his 69 Buick Wildcat & a 38 Buick street rod although I do the work on them.

12. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hey Ron, it's been a while... Any updates, hopefully it's getting warmer to work on your '32 with Spring around the corner.

13. Hi Mike; I seem to have been spending most of the time recently moving snow around. We were away for a couple of weeks visiting the grand kids in Southern Ontario. Took in the Detroit Autorama while we were there. One heck of a show that my son Myles and myself have been attending for many years. I have shown the roadster there three times. FUN !!!
    I have been back out in the shop a bit recently and still making parts runs into Minn. I think I am almost ready to dismantle the chassis so that I can start on the finish welding. The diff has taken more time than expected but I think we are close now. Rear Brake Drum.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  14. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Everything is buttoning up very well Ron! That original cross member for your shock placement worked out well. The C-notch in the frame should be enough to clear for suspension travel, no matter how much of a bump you may hit on the road.

loudbang and Hapydz like this.
  15. Sorry I haven't been here for awhile.....too busy out in the shop , I guess. Have been making my Hot Rod Parts Runs however with rims, tires and brake parts. Got the power booster and master cylinder close to being in the right location using what was left of the center cross member. Using the "Welder Series" pedal set up I think we are close. Painted the front rims and picked up the skinny tires for the front. Now just to get them mounted which should be soon. One back rim is on it's way to the Border store and the rear tires will be ordered tomorrow. Then I will order the last rim and paint the two of them before the rear tires are mounted. All in all , I believe I will have a rolling chassis before June 20 (Birthday) . Brake 1A.jpg

OzMerc39, JUNK ROD, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  16. I thought I should include a photo of the painted rim. wheel 018.JPG

17. Looks like Joe Mitchell's. Nice job

18. I hope mine turns out to be half as nice as Joe's !!! I think mine are a bit more yellow than what shows in my picture.
    Thanks Don !

19. Front Wheel.jpg Had the '32 front tires mounted up to their rims yesterday. One step closer to having the chassis rolling by my target date of June 20......[ATTACH=full]3894356[/ATTACH]

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Peanut 1959, loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  20. 31chevymike

31chevymike

No whitewalls? Rims look awesome!

loudbang likes this.
  21. Thanks Mike ! I like the whitewalls on my '39 but not required on this one...LOL

22. Had a good '32 day today out in the shop. With the rear tires mounted on their rims, at least now we have a half Half Way There.jpg roller . Just a bit more on the front end and we will be able to push the '32 chassis out into the daylight......Ya Hooooooo !

23. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Great work so far Ron! Nice touch with the "Detroit" stamped into the boxing plates.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Thanks Mike, it sure is a lot of fun ! The "Detroit" thing is one of the items that "Speed Cult" has for sale at the Detroit Autorama . Son Myles and myself have been going there for years as both participants and observers. I wanted that neat memory to be part of this project so I thought by plug welding it to the inside of the frame rail, it would give me a nice feeling whenever I saw it while I was under the car. Weird ...maybe but it works for me.

25. Great car and story, keep up the good work and this stuff keeps you forever young working on it.

Hapydz, 31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  26. No photos to show just yet but I should be able to meet my goal for the roll out.....even with the yard work slowing me down...a bit.

27. Thank's for sharing.

Hapydz and 31chevymike like this.
  28. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Excellent Progress Ron....Keeping The Faith (Billie Joel.... 22859709_1919243328399939_6838653321579292816_o.jpg

Hapydz likes this.
  29. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hello Ron, I have a simple question. Since your frame is original, do your front frame horns bow outwards a bit at the tip where the bumper mounts to? If you look at yours from the top view, your frame rails are parallel from the mid section, than possibly start to bow outwards toward the front frame horns near the tip.

I recently finished welding on my new '32 Ford front frame horns and discovered this little detail, so I am curious on how yours are on your original frame. Appreciate this info greatly and hope you reached your goal to have a rolling chassis by Father's Day or June 20 - are you close?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    loudbang likes this.