Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration HOW'S THIS FOR NOSTALGIA?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Montana1, May 10, 2018.

1. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Thanks for that, I remember every one except the nylon thing, too busy enjoying the outside world. As Kid Rock says, "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then".

oldsjoe and Montana1 like this.
  2. 4798808B-066F-4468-B0A5-531877980B52.jpeg 1E14071E-846E-4300-BA79-A1F594D237AC.png Besides some of the name brands , you pretty much described my childhood in the 80’s

The death of society will be fuck-book, twatter and insta-shit

I look at some kids in there teens and eatlyb20’s they could not carry on a conversation, fix anything .... shit do anything I could do at that age
    Seems non or most of them don’t want to drive, go out party socialize the way WE ALL DID before the inter webs!

This tool is a mighty great one , but real time in front of people doing things is living life!

3. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I must still be a kid in retirement!
    Still watch Mayberry (not far from here), Twilight Zone, Munsters, Beaver (grade school in the 50s).
    Still have my comics, baseball cards, marbles (in a bag and head :) 20180510_195630.jpg 20180510_195710.jpg 20180510_195658.jpg 20180510_195648.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk... Gary from Virginia

4. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I forgot.
    You know you're old when you went to the store with a quarter and bought a comic and a paper bag full of candy and gum.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk... Gary from Virginia

chryslerfan55, oldsjoe and Montana1 like this.
  5. How about when car magazines went from 25 cents to 35 cents.
    We poor boys were petrified.

6. Deuces

Deuces

6.99 last time I looked or bought one....:mad::rolleyes:

oldsjoe and Montana1 like this.
  7. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Has everyone forgot going up and down the alleys in the neighborhood looking for bottles that you put in a red wagon so you could turn them in and buy Abba Zabba bars. We were sorta poor but we didn't realize it.
    By the way, I still fry bologna.

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I remember playing outside in the evening; when the street lights came on, it was time to go home. My Father used to call all us kids home earlier by blowing a bugle. Went to the movies with our money wrapped in a handkerchief or in a sock. My younger brother got all my hand-me-downs. Wrestling on TV in black and white. We all had a school savings account. Lunchboxes of our favorite TV show. Getting shots at school (that might have been a more military family thing). All the teachers had a paddle, with holes drilled in them, and they got used used. We had a Dr. who still made house calls. The one thing I don't miss.......pushing that manual reel lawn mower and catch bag!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. billsat

billsat

I lived with my grandparents for a few months in 1963 when I was seven. They had a very similar TV to the one pictured. Every evening after supper my grandmother would sit about a foot away from the TV and watch it with one eye while she read the paper, which she laid on the floor between her feet, with her other eye. At the same time she would be picking her teeth with a toothpick and sucking her teeth like Grady on Sanford and Son. She scarred me for life, I kid you not. Every time I hear someone sucking their teeth I think about her.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    chryslerfan55, Montana1 and oldsjoe like this.
  10. F&J

F&J

cool thread..keep them personal stories coming.. eh?

chryslerfan55 and Montana1 like this.
  11. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Baseball in the street Mr. Jones rear bumper of his Buick is first base, sewer lid is second base, missing hunk of curb is third base. Game gets interrupted when the cars come up and down the street. Then we shout out 57 Chevy, 64 Ford Thunderbird, 51 Chevy, or what ever was driving past! Oh and don't forgrt the ghost runners! Joe

12. My Dad, (91 years old) still has one of those phones, and no cell phone.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. A lot of people don't know it, but those old rotary phones will still work if your power goes out. Just plug it in place of your land line and it will work.

14. Come to think about it, my dad still lives on the same farm they moved to in 1930. I can remember we only made about $6000 a year in the mid sixties, and didn't ever know we were poor. We lived in the best of times. :)

bondolero, chryslerfan55 and F&J like this.
  15. I remember my mom's two brothers bought a '40 Ford Coupe and the flathead was blown up, so they found a 283 out of a wrecked Corvette and put in it. Me and my cousin would ride behind the seats and we'd all have a blast going through the gears. Those were the days! :cool:

chryslerfan55, 55 Ford Gasser and F&J like this.
  16. little red 50

little red 50

I remember my grandpa (who grew up during the depression) saying you can take those "good old days" and stickem where the sun don't shine.

17. I can remember going over to Grandma & Grandpa's on Sunday nights and watching "Bonanza", in COLOR! They had the first color TV in the family. I believe it was in the early 60's. :cool:

chryslerfan55, F&J and billsat like this.
  18. Marken

Marken

I remember every Friday night during the summer walking across the street to Frederick's bakery and four of us each getting a pumpkin pie. We would then sit by a tree on 8th Street and watch the cruisers go by. Damn fine memories from the early 60's.

chryslerfan55, F&J and Montana1 like this.
  19. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

How about lining up single file to get vaccinated with the sugar cube or the shot that scarred your upper arm.

Bread and milk came in buggy pulled by a horse. We wore the bread bags over our socks to keep our feet dry.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

20. Yep. Had to walk up hill both ways to school, in two feet of snow too! :eek::D

21. I was 13 before I ever had a TV in the house. The one pictured is almost a dead ringer. More test patterns than shows.

oldsjoe, F&J and Montana1 like this.
  22. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I grew up in the 50's and 60's and it really was the best of times. From the time I was 6 or 7 all my money went for model cars and 25 cent hot rod and custom car magazines or I could get a nickel coke, an ice cream bar and a 2 cent pretzel rod and still had change to save for something else later. I would do any kind of job for the neighbors for a quarter or 50 cents if I was lucky. I also rode up and down the road to pick up pop bottles that got me 2 cents each at the store. We spent the summers riding bikes, camping out or playing ball. TV was watched mostly in the later evenings. If you screwed up bad enough you got your ass beat and you damn sure showed respect to adults. I tell my grandkids these stories and I know they think I am full of shit and they don't understand when I make them put down their cell phone and other electronic toys and take them for a walk in the woods or to the garage to get greasy. Some of them are getting to like it. I have even got a few of them to watch the 50's and 60's TV shows with me. I just told my wife the other day I am glad I am as old as I am the way things are going, I just wish my kids and grandkids wouldn't have to put up with all the goings on in this modern world.

23. Deuces

Deuces

Lucky for me, school was only 2 blocks away....

Montana1 likes this.
  24. Smiffy

Smiffy

I am grateful for growing up during those times. There were some not so good stuff as well. What I miss is the sense of community and fellow man that has been decimated in favour of the cult of the individual.

Thor1 and Montana1 like this.
  25. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

12a20z.jpg Cool thread.

chryslerfan55 and Montana1 like this.
  26. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Ahh the Boblo boat! It felt like it took that boat three days to travel down the Detroit river to the Island.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Montana1 like this.
  27. I remember the summer of '63 and '64 going cruisin up and down N. 2nd Street, then out Riverside Blvd, then down West State St., then out to RT. 20 bypass, then up S. Main, with my uncle in his '62 409.

There was always some place cool to go! Stop at a drive-in get a root beer float and a burger and cruise some more. :cool:

oldsjoe, chryslerfan55 and F&J like this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have at least one rotary phone in my house and shop, they always work when the power goes off.

oldsjoe, 56don, F&J and 1 other person like this.
  29. Deuces

Deuces

Been to the island a few times in the early 70s.... Fun days... :)
    I'm gonna Google that Faygo Remembers song just for shits an giggles... Sorry I won't be able to post it... Don't know how... :oops::rolleyes:

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  30. catdad49

catdad49

Everything I have lived through plus Dad bought a new white over black two door Chevy Sport Coupe (283 w/powerglide)!! Almost a Nomad, too much money. Thanks