Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Movie Time: LIFE IN KODACHROME

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 10, 2018.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Movie Time: LIFE IN KODACHROME

2. reverse threads on the oil drain plug?
    there were a bunch of neat little details they did use.
    i would have liked to see a few tv antennas on the houses, more oil stains on the road.........

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

and there should be at least one 1957 car somewhere on the street..................and love the street rod drawing with Boyd Coddington style independent front suspension

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe Leslie was the dearly departed sister?

Bondo Slinger likes this.

5. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They need to hire you to be sure of correct time period props.
    A friend of mine worked for a crane co when the movie Twister was filmed east of Ponca City OK . The director wanted the farmer to hook a trailer with a combine header on it behind a massive 4 wheel drive tractor . The farmer told him no . The director asked why not , the farmer replied every farmer in the theater would laugh and think yall don't know anything.

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

7. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

While not incorrect, how many guys would've been fooling with a 4-banger in 1957?

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    100% Matt likes this.
  8. I think Leslie is the name of his car, not the model :)

I agree, the little inaccuracies might drive us nuts, but I look at the flip side as well... any time an old car is portrayed in a good light in the media, it reflects well on us.

Okie Pete likes this.
  9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Lots of little things to pick at, and a bit sappy but who is the audience? Hot Rodders? Street Rodders? Average On the Street Joes that know nothing about 1957?
    Well shot, with some good editing, enjoyable,
    Hey we can pick all the 'modern' classics like AG and TLBT also. But I bet it took a ton of effort just to get the large number of classic cars and owners together.

10. John Starr

John Starr

Funny stuff! If I ever make a movie about hot rodding I''d try to get it all right. But as a TV editor I've long ago learned the importance of story first, trivial details last. It's great when it can all come together, though. It's also rare.

I edited some scenes recently involving a 570hp V8 jet boat one of our characters drives like a maniac in the show. I made it a point to use, and enhance, the best, real audio from his engine. (Some years ago one of our editors put V8 engine sound under a scene of him driving a tiny 2-cycle outboard!)

But sometimes the editor, even director, is over-ruled by producers on these issues...

Okie Pete likes this.
  11. Technical inaccuracies happen in *all* period movies, whether costumes, guns, military tactics, etiquette or anything else. :rolleyes:

We just focus on the cars because that's what we're familiar with.:)

You should see my wife critiquing Victorian & Tudor era movies. :eek:

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    Okie Pete likes this.
  12. Overly sentimental and sappy too! Convertible? I would say Roadster.

Just Gary likes this.
  13. Easy to be a arm chair critic but even with all the things we see wrong they at least made the hot rods a part of the story line,and I kinda like the yellow convertible,uh roadster! :D HRP

14. young51

young51

Jay,
    this kills me as well and you see it all the time. First big scene in the last Indiana Jones movie has a closeup of the front tire on a 50' Ford when Indy drops his hat, you can clearly see the radial tire and Asian branding. On another screwup the Stranger Things show everyone went gaga for set in the 80's, the kids are riding modern bmx bikes with threadless forks and mirco drive gearing!

Okie Pete likes this.
  15. there was a cheers tv show episode where Norm and Cliff go to ancient Rome film festival and they compare mistakes they found. one of which Cliff swears one of the gladiators were wearing sneakers.............

mctim64 likes this.
  16. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's more accurate than Happy Days was.

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’s kinda funny to read all the “overly sappy” comments. I watched on mute and it read completely different. Disfunctional even lol.

Don’t know if you can un see things but come back in a few days and watch it on mute maybe

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh if we are still knit picking...
    1: given the era of the neighborhood all those trees along the street line wouldn’t nearly be that big and visibly pushing the sidewalk around

2: new style battery with label in the A

3: the bright red plastic coated wiring seems to new but maybe by 57 it’s not? Not sure when that started being common

19. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I still haven't gotten over the license plates in American Graffiti ...

20. balumnia

balumnia
    from MA

I don't mind the gaffs quite as much in entertainment films and TV for reasons cited above by the industry guys. Annoying, but doesn't usually piss me off. What really gets me is when the reality shows, especially the car shows, get it wrong. Mike Wolf of "American Pickers" has a couple of Deuces. More than once they've run across Deuces on the show, done their history montage talking about the cars, and they show footage of A's or '33/4's!

21. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

...and Bull rides radial tires . Mohaahaha. But I love everything that tries to capture that 50s spirit.
    And....if you havent seen "Pleasentville" you should. Its kind of different.