Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help with Edelbrock 1406

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G-Man7, May 9, 2018.

1. G-Man7

G-Man7

Hi All,
    I recently purchased a 32 Ford hot rod. It has a Ford 302 crate engine, originally from a 01 Thunderbird, an Edelbrock 1406 (600cfm)carb, c4 auto trans and a stock Ford intake from an 83 mustang. The engine is 17 years old with 16,000 miles. When I bought the car, the carb electric choke was not hooked up, there was no fuel filter on the car, and the carb was missing the choke/cam connector rod, among other things. I took it apart, cleaned it with carb cleaner and put it back together. I did not rebuild it with the Edelbrock 1477 kit at that time like I probably should have. I replaced the entire fuel line from tank to carb, including upgrading the fuel pump to a Carter P4070. The car, while quick, is still sluggish under WOD, occasionally hesitating and sputtering, especially when warm. I find it is better when I turn on the electric fan right after I start the car and leave it on the entire time I am driving. Timing has been checked, distributor has been checked and it has new spark plug wires.
    Here is my question:
    As I don't know what has been done to this carb previously by the backyard mechanic who owned it, my plan was to rebuild it, adding new floats, accelerator pump and jets. I called Edelbrock to make sure I had all the part numbers, and talked to a tech who basically told me to trash it and by one of their new 1901 AVS2 carbs. His reasoning was that the 500cc was better suited to the 302, and it was more performance based whereas the 1406 is economy based. He was pretty set on this. Is it more worthwhile to rebuild and tune what I have or, as the tech suggests, buy the latest and greatest. I am skeptical that it will be that much better than what I can do with the 1406, but who knows.

Sounds good, but there is a $300 price difference between the two, and I know lots of people who run the 1406 without any issues. So, thoughts on this? As much as I would like to buy a new carb, I am thinking I can get the 1406 running satisfactory. Anything else I am missing?I have been to the Edelbrock website and have seen their articles on tuning.
    I am much more interested in performance than economy on this car. It is quick, but still looking to get rid of that hesitation and add more cheap horsepower....
    Please, this is not a which carb is best thread.
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Look at Edelbrocks website. They list a pretty detailed tuning guide for the carbs.

Keep in mind, isn't the 1406 a 700cfm carb? To get it right you will have to tinker with it.

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

625 cfm i think tend to be lean out of the box for my applications-jet em up a bit-have 3 on cars here

4. Deuces

Deuces

Also use a vacuum gauge when dialing in the idle mixture screws....

Just Gary likes this.

5. Ken Boellner

Ken Boellner

I was told by Edelbrock that the 1406 is an emissions carb. It is 600cfm. If you want a performance carb it's the 1405 also 600cfm but with manual choke. I had a 350 with Vortec heads and a cam and the plugs were pure white no matter what I did thats why I called Edelbrock. I know alot of guys run the 1406 with no problem. The tech told me that I couldn't tune it rich enough on a performance engine.

6. greybeard360

greybeard360

You just need a metering rod/spring kit. In all of the Eddie carbs I have tuned... Never needed to change jets, just the rods and or springs. A chart comes in the kit that makes fine tuning very simple.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The 1406 is a 600cfm. He probably just needs to rebuild it.

Budget36 likes this.
  8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

G -

When you say "the timing was checked"... What does that mean ?
    What exactly is the ignition timing set to..? Normally, by the "book" ignition timing is too low for a good running engine.
    Are all of the vacuum lines connected (or plugged) properly ? How bout the trans., is it adjusted properly.

And as far as the carburetor, there are many ways to mess-up and many ways to make that type carburetor work well/correctly. And without knowing a lot more engine/car info, it really is difficult for anyone to know exactly how to diagnose and fix you problems. Anyone can make guesses, and you can play with those guesses and maybe get lucky.

I'd find a reputable shop near you and take it to them.

Mike

9. Is the vacuum advance hooked to the manifold vacuum port on the carb?
    This is important and the added timing will allow the engine to run cooler, reducing the use of the electric fan.

Sent from my LGL158VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. With all the parts missing from the 1406 it tells me the original owner was having problems also. Seeing that it did not have a fuel filter is not a very good sign. I might start by looking over the whole drivetrain/car and see if anything else is amiss.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

A "crate engine" from a 01 T-Bird??? My way of thinking is, a crate engine has always been a NEW engine, in a box (crate if you will), from any of the automobile manufacturers, and not any of the engines from the engine rebuilding folks. A rebuilt engine is just that, a rebuilt, used engine, not a new crate engine. All the Edelbrock badged AFB's are a "use-it-out-of-the-box-carburetor"; at least that was the design. Not saying they are't a good carburetor, just something more for the "average" person to buy and use. Sure, they can be "tuned" with different rods, springs, or jets, just like the original Carter AFB's. Personally, I've never had any luck with a Edelbrock carburetor, but if Gas Monkey Garage uses them (and other TV car shows), they must be good. JMO, and don't take a hit out on me because of that. WHY can't they just be a cast color, and not some overpolished, overpromoted, overrated, hot rod carburetor? I wish they would make them as Carter did originally, or even when Weber had them. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

The new AVS models are really nice. I recently installed one on a car and other than a few tweaks like idle speed and the idle mixture screws it was spot on and runs great.
    Your old carb can be brought up to specs to run good. You just need to spend the time and a little cash.

13. As others have said. The missing parts are a clue to a problem. However, get Edelbrock Tuning Kit #1487. Lever the Jets alone for now. Use the chart provided in the kit. The springs and metering rods will help. It will take a bit of changes most likely. Write down the changes so you don't loose track.

Hombre likes this.
  14. rfraze

rfraze

Put a fuel pressure regulator on it and make sure it never goes over 4.5 to 5 pounds of pressure.

partssaloon and JeffB2 like this.
  15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

First the Edelbrock guy was trying to sell you something you do not need, rfraze above nailed the # 1 issue with these Carbs is fuel pressure Do Not use one of those cheapy ones with the dial on them they are junk use the Holley style with a added gauge on it. #2 issue is heat since your problem seems worse when it's warmed up you should have a heat insulator between the Carb and the intake https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carb-Carbu...905156?hash=item33b5693d44:g:5IEAAOSwJMhXD822 Dial it in at 4.5 psi https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3032/overview/ Gauge https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3122/overview/ The 1406 should work fine on a 302 Ford I have one on my 302,after you get these issues above fixed you may try a freebee fix and that is changing the accelerator pump shot to one of the other holes in the pump arm. Also what distributor and timing are you running ?

16. G-Man7

G-Man7

Thanks for the reply. The 1406 is a 600 cfm carb. I have been to their page and
    Thanks, I have a holley regulator on it now, doesn't get above 5.

17. G-Man7

G-Man7

Thanks for the links. I have a holley fuel pressure regulator and gauge on it now. It does not get over 5lbs. What I don't have is the spacer, and that may be a good investment. Interesting that I have no trouble starting it up after I turn off the engine, even letting it sit for a while.

18. G-Man7

G-Man7

Thanks, I have a holley fuel pressure regulator on it now. Learned I needed it the hard way after firing it up with just the new fuel pump.

19. G-Man7

G-Man7

Were you by any chance using the 1406 previously? If so, how do they compare.

20. Maybe the 1406 is tuned for economy "out of the box", but they can easily be rejetted/new metering rods to dial it in, and Edelbrock has a great tuning guide.

I'd take your current 1406 and throw it in the trash. There's always tons of used ones on Craigslist that are probably more complete, and likely save you time and money down the road when rebuilding. Other sites like Summit and Jeg's sell re-furbed Edelbrock carbs for less than the price of a new one.

I used to run Holleys until I got an Edelbrock. They're a great carb. Good luck.