Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

I might make a lexan panel to see through bottom of trunk if I get everything with a nice finish

tb33anda3rd and TFoch like this.
  2. Went to look at the 32 convertable landau phaeton .
    Is a solid car , but not quite what I was hoping it would be ..
    Body has been painted by brush, black (really doesnt look too bad ) other than all the jambs and trunk edges are still red.
    Need all chrome redone , and a new top .
    I was really hoping just to drive it as a surviver.
    With a new top the bows and hardware should be rechromed and then it begin's ....
    I will post some pictures in the next few days.
    It is also a standard model , single wiper , no fender mounted tires ( spare in rear )
    Could even be rarer in a standard model .
    Decisions , Decisions ....

3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If you get it you can always sell it. If you pass it up it may haunt you for the rest of your days.:rolleyes:

4. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Ahh the teasing of the board, and so we wait for pictures lol

5. sorry for the crappy photos.... IMG_1155.JPG IMG_1156.JPG IMG_1157.JPG IMG_1158.JPG IMG_1159.JPG IMG_1160.JPG IMG_1161.JPG IMG_1162.JPG IMG_1163.JPG IMG_1164.JPG IMG_1165.JPG IMG_1166.JPG IMG_1167.JPG

mgtstumpy, Turbo57, biggeorge and 4 others like this.
  6. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

7. madmike3434

madmike3434

real question is....................do you now own it ?????????????????

mike

8. The car is very solid !!! Can be driven as is and was driven into its spot where it is after a mechanic went over ths car .I believe the red to be the original colour, as it can be seen through the black .
    I have not bought the car as I am sitting on the fence and price is pretty firm .
    If I dont buy the car , it is not for sale and the owner is going to keep it , he is a collector and was a long time friend of my deceased father .
    I would really like a survivor car , they are only ever original once !!!!!

biggeorge likes this.
  9. wow, i would have a hard time passing that up.

10. Haven't passed it up yet , trying to figure what it is worth and what is it going to be worth 5 years from now.
    how do you keep it a survivor with a new top and rims need painting ??
    what do you think it is worth ???

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

To me "Survivor" means means it got this far in this condition. They are all survivors of a sort. The better the condition the better it survived. Pristine would be very nice but then anything that happens to it detracts from it's monetary value. A well used car has a history some of it may show. That is not a bad thing though too much history can deter $$$ guys. They don't drive them anyway. As with antique guns quality repairs to make it function do not totally spoil it like refinishing or major changes. It looks to me that this could be a great driver. You said it had been brush painted? You might be surprised how much original paint is under that. There is a thread here somewhere about a guy that took off a paint job like that. Then you would be down to original type of repairs. Is any of the top salvageable? Find another set of rims and paint them. Take a little time to think it through and then buy it. What are the odds that you will ever find a better one that hasn't been messed with? I passed up a '31 4 door survivor in Ventura a few years ago. I wish I had bought it. It only needed new wood in the top and some cloth. It was red.
    Back in the day spring cleaning often involved taking the furniture and putting another coat of varnish. Under those many coats of dark old cracked varnish is some beautiful furniture. In high school a friend bought '46 Chevy woody. The metal was brush painted flat black and the wood had many coats of pink. When he striped the wood it was almost perfect. Under the black was most of a stock light blue. It made a very respectable daily driver.

12. madmike3434

madmike3434

Well THEE GUY who owns it ( if it is who we mentioned some time back ) has never given away anything and always sought absolute top buck. That's the rep I am familiar with. maybe true or false ?
    5 years from now you might be lucky to get 3/4 of what you paid based on the vintage market today. Think I saw somewhere in a thread on VCCA CHAT, where they produced a 1000 of that model.

I think too many people are being influenced by american pickers and their own twisted idea of rusty stuff and it being valuable... Its only valuable when its rare and extremely low production. Question is whats a fully restored one or a super quality original worth. A trip to GOOGLE and search should bring up examples with prices.

Watching Barrett Jackson, auctions, and wayne carrini chasing classic cars tv show , I have not seen one of these cross the block. Mind you have not seen a ford B400 either.

Buy it if you really want to own one , not because it may or may not be worth more 5 years from now, get off the fence and make a move one way or the other. Before somebody else takes an interest in it and your taking a wallet hit .

mike lynch

13. madmike3434

madmike3434

correction a trip thru google search yielded 1602 of these built

mike lynch

14. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I had a '31 Landau in similar or better condition. Planned a build, until I put the top down. It is plain ugly with the top hanging over the rear, and why have a convert, if you're never going to lower the top. So, I changed direction and went to a Cabriolet.

15. I agree!

biggeorge likes this.
  16. madmike3434

madmike3434

well TFOCH and TB33 and third............if Joe decides to not buy it and step away, maybe he will tell people who are interested where to contact the seller and what he is asking. ??????

I also agree with PAUL55, would not be a good looking car with top down all piled up in the back, phaetons have same problem. My 35 has not had the top down either because of the look.

At least with a roadster the top folds in behind the seat and disappears.
    mike lynch

17. i look at the top in a different way. i could care less what it looks like with the top down. i just love the thrill and feel of driving a convertible. i have owned a glassic roadster, and a gazelle, both total turds top up or down......but fun as hell.

Turbo57, biggeorge and TFoch like this.
  18. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I think it is rare and cool. Top up or down.

tb33anda3rd, 29bowtie and biggeorge like this.
  19. This deal.is for a trade of 2 vehicles I own that he would like to own , other than that the car is not for sale .I value my 2 cars at between 25 and 30 thousand .

31chevymike and tb33anda3rd like this.
  20. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Guess that would be a little tougher than just buying outright guessing your two cars are wanted items since he hinges deal on them

31chevymike and wood remover like this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That changes a lot. I have a real tough time getting rid of stuff. Sometimes that is not a good thing.:(

31chevymike and wood remover like this.
  22. madmike3434

madmike3434

just came across a picture of a 1931 and also a 1932 landau, make great street rods ??? 31-32 landau's.jpg 32ChevyLandauConvertible.jpg

mgtstumpy, Turbo57, Fern 54 and 3 others like this.
  23. Have five hot rods now , really just would like to have a nice original car.Have an original 27 model T roadster , but 30 mph really is just to slow !!! It is actually one of the trade cars .

24. wood remover- if you like the '27, why not get a Ruxtell rear or Warford auxiliary trans?

wood remover likes this.
  25. Car has a ruxtell axle , rocky mountain brakes .
    Engine has downdraft carb , distributor , 12 volts , model a crankshaft conversion , It is a really good runner but 30 mph is as fast as I feel comfortable driving it .I live in a big city with tons of idiots on the road.At least with a 30s car I can put hydralic brakes without disturbing to much .

jgrohio likes this.
  26. Gotcha- I completely understand!

27. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

Threw the body back on again to see how the new coil mount works even gave the car a peek at the sun

Attached Files:

28. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Looking good! I think it might look nicer with the stock width rear fenders though.

29. Wow! That's beautiful!