Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Scallops and the Silver Sapphire: Remembering Paul Hatton

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, May 4, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Scallops and the Silver Sapphire: Remembering Paul Hatton

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

dana barlow, Tim, Lepus and 10 others like this.
  2. flamingokid

flamingokid

I've never been big on scallops or quad headlights, but the Silver Sapphire makes a good case for both.

3. I prefer the doubled-up scallop layout on the roof in the earlier photo.

loudbang likes this.
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Great paint, but never liked the whole car,, if not for the album cover, it would have been altered by this time.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Stogy, WillyKJr, Graystoke and 7 others like this.

6. Paul Hatton Pinstriping at early Detroit Autorama.jpg
    Paul Hatton pinstriping flames.jpg
    Paul Hatton, Sr.
    November 12, 1933 - May 1, 2018

7. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  8. Yes he was...car was also candy apple red at one time..RIP Mr. Hatton..I’ll have to pull out my Hatton shirt and post up a pic

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

Here's a link to a very interesting history of the Silver Saphire and how it came to grace the Beach Boys album cover...

http://customrodder.forumactif.org/...e-silver-saphire-clarence-catallo-s-1932-ford

I was 13 and living out in the middle of Montana when I first saw the album cover. I don't think I've ever stared at a photo of a girl like I did at that album cover. I loved that car. I'd never been to California or any place where there were such cars as these. This car was very instrumental in starting my hot rod passion. I longingly gazed at the Beach Boys album covers....girls, sun, hot rods!!! Everything I want! Where is this place??? I'm going there. I couldn't wait. I didn't even wait for my graduation ceremony after finishing school in Montana...I drove my '60 Ford Falcon to California in 1973 and have been here since.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always loved that car.

Graystoke likes this.
  11. 34Larry

34Larry

So I for one out of many hundreds or maybe even thousands liked this deuce from the second I saw it back in the day. I do understand how you typo, never liked it, it is a radical departure from most 32's and that is why I liked it so much, and still do............................a lot, and hey not liking it is ok also. I rate this right in there with iconic's such as the Ala Kart, The little Coffin and so on. I have quite a few die casts out of Franklin Mint, and Danbury Mint and this little beauty in its blue life, sits coolly on my desk beside the Kart, California Kid and a stock 34 Ford.
    I don't believe the Beach Boys made this car, it stood alone and still does and I don't believe for a top fuel second some idiot would do anything to make it some thing else.

Big Plan Dan likes this.
  12. Graystoke

Graystoke

Me too

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Hatton family and friends on the passing of Paul.

Thanks @J.Ukrop for sharing this memorial post to this Artist of his Craft.

The style of painting and added detailing compliments every vehicle in its own special way. It is timeless to those that appreciate it. I share the appreciation.

I extend further thanks to those who added additional details to the life of this talent and @HEMI32 for his added memorial post.

Regards,
    Stogy

TRJ, cactus1 and Graystoke like this.
  14. I was fortunate enough to have been part of the histories related here. Paul Hatton was my friend and mentor in the earl;y days and I used to hang out at Pete's collision where Paul Hatton shared the shop. He was cool enough to let us teenagers hang out and watch him work. He will be missed and never forgotten by me. I also was there when Clarence Catallo started the little deuce coupe. I was the one in the custom rodder story that drove the car because Clarence was too young. I was there when he bought it from a guy named Ziggy and we pulled it out of the weeds and towed it to the gulf station on the corner with Clarence parents 53 Olds.
    His parents bought a grocery store from my parents called Village Market.
    I was there when Ray Wolozak used to park the coupe in front of the Old Farts Car Club tent at the Turkey Rod Run. I gave Clarence Rays phone number. Sadly these good friends are now gone.
    R.I.P. Paul Hatton and Clarence Catallo, You both will be missed.

Big Plan Dan and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. hotrodben

hotrodben

Does anyone know what hubcaps these are?

16. 1957 Plymouth caps with added plastic fins.

17. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone here know exactly where this picture was taken????
    The park looks very familiar....
    Looks like the old Ford Woods Park here in Dearborn years before it was renovated.... 5b231791b944deb5190b572ee881e47f.jpg
    Damn, I hope I'm not wrong....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. The picture above was taken at the location of the photoshoot for the Beach Boy cover in L.A. Ed Roth was there and the shoot was by Eric Rickman, Hot Rod Mag Photog icon.

19. Deuces

Deuces

It sure looks like my old stomping grounds here in Dearborn.... Oh well...:(