Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features New 1/8 mile drags in north texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FastLivin, May 8, 2018.

1. FastLivin

FastLivin

Some guys in Nocona, TX have converted the old town runway into an 1/8 mile strip for drag racing debauchery. Check it out if you're in the area

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool. I'd say for a lot of us the 1/8 mile is where the action an fun is anyhow.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

GOOD!!! They started out with a condemned runway ("X'd" out), then repaved the 1/8 mile, then added Jersey barriers. A tower, P.A. System, and bleachers will come, followed by a return road. I'm guessing after a run, they gather at the end of the strip (no return road yet), and come back en-mass after a few cars have run. Grass roots drag racing. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

olscrounger and Doctorterry like this.
  4. No lights
    No tree
    No traps

Primitive
    :D

Doctorterry likes this.

5. Grumbler

Grumbler

That looks exactly like our laid back airport drags, my club rents the place about six times a year for bracket racing and test n tunes. Traction sucks bad but we have a tree!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  6. YES!!! Good to see one open up rather than shut down.

wraymen likes this.
  7. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Cool
    That is the second track to open this year in North Texas. The other one is south of Dallas on 45.

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Why did't Crandall make the grade? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Awesome! How cool is that. An abandoned airstrip put back in use for drag racing. It's like when post war auxiliary runways were commandeered by Hot Rodder's hungry for an organized place to race.
    Charts list it as 3200', so there's plenty of shutdown room ( just watch out for that ditch at the end of the runway). Here's a pic before the work was done as described by 56 SD

upload_2018-5-8_21-12-27.png

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  10. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I can’t answer that. It was a great place but it has turned into a semi truck salvage I was told.
    The other new track is called Extreme Raceway. All concrete and run by racers.

PhredH likes this.
  11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I looked up Xtreme Raceway Park; very nice , and IHRA to boot. You guys are lucky! The creek at the end of the airstrip dragstrip has dropped the entire end of the runway. There's a defunct airstrip in Utah that holds clandistine drag races; out in nowhere, dersert area, and has been going on for many years. There are some YouTube videos.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

These two are replacements for loosing Redline,Crandall and Texas Raceway.:(

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I see Redline is "supposed" to re-open; too bad about Kennedale, was there a long time, but he Pro Mods probably led to that with all their excessive noise. There's always Yello-Belly, if you're man enough, and the strip at Seven Points (7 points?), Cedar Creek. I tried to hit as many drag strips as I could while in East Texas, 82-84, but that was a long time ago. I-20 and Hallsville were the main one's I went to; both gone now. Muffled exhaust is really the way to go, like Oregon deals with for most races. Not a lot of difference, as they tune for it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. RMONTY

RMONTY

Hallsville....had forgotten all about that one....was there back in 1978...the track was slick and no one was getting good traction that day. Seems like that track went downhill close to the end if I remember right. East Texas Piney Woods.

15. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Going to Yello Belly for a nostolgia race next week. The ladies that own it have cleaned up the place and run the bad elimate out. Heard most went to Kennendale but with it closed now?
    Have to check out this new place soon. Looks like it might be a laid back fun track.

missysdad1 likes this.
  16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There were two Hallsville drag strips; the earlier one was downhill, and was somewhat NW of the second one (can still be seen on GoogleMaps.Com and also had a dirt oval). There are now homes along what was the second Hallsville track (called Highland Blvd now). It was a nice place; had a big tree behind the start line that a jet dragster literally burned the leaves off of one of the days I was there; also blew out some fence panels and a motorist off the road. I-20 and Hallsville were both ran by Ken Hall. I-20 had been an airstrip for an oil field company, and ran uphill after the finish line; traction there was a problem. The guardrails were old military road, interlocking tracks. Staging lanes also ran uphill in a fairly steep fashion, so not a lot of cars were pushed in staging. Always wanted to go to Yello Belly, but could't get anyone willing to go with me (?). I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

17. badvolvo

badvolvo

Running the 1/8 mile at the Rumble Drags Saturday. Thunder Valley @ Bethany mo. I have not been there before, from what I was told, it was just reopened in the last couple years.

18. Junior Stock

Junior Stock