Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Does anyone actually use their hot rod truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indestructableforce, May 4, 2012.

1. I have had the Cameo for 49 years, and installed the 3rd motor, a 350 hp 396, late in 1970.
    In addition to hauling anything, that needed hauling, it also carried an 8 ft camper from Texas to Florida, on one holiday, from Texas to Nevada on another, and from Laredo to Comox AFB, on Vancouver Island, when my exchange tour was completed.
    For many years after, I hauled that camper all over BC, including a lot of logging roads.
    I attempted to upload a picture, but even at 250K it was rejected
    Bob

2. Use mine to tow this..... DSC01367.JPG

and also for dump runs......among other things to the dumps we go.jpg

jchav62, jnaki, 40FORDPU and 4 others like this.
  3. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Most of the loads in this thread I still would not call using the truck as intended.
    A few genitally placed motors, bikes, garden tools or other light loads.

I know of crap load of hotrod, modified and restored old trucks and can only name two that get used as a truck. both guys three times my ages and ex farmers.
    by this i mean throwing loads of fire wood on the back, collecting a load of gravel, dropping a crate on and transporting animals as they shit over everything or what ever else comes up for the old work horse. they accept the dings, dints and scrapes that a working truck gets with out a second thought.

Been wanting a 40s Diamond T pick up to make a work truck out of. Not lowered or anything. Something to haul the hey and feed out over winter with, gather the fire wood, get shingle when my driveway needs it. But I have found "one project at a time" is the only way I get to see the end of one so its up next after my current project or maybe second if I do a worked 70 gsx clone. depends what I find first at the right price and condition.

mammyjammer and chevy57dude like this.
  4. How did you know I was gettin' kinky with my motor?:D

5. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

I sure do. Last weekend I took my 55 F100 to Lowes and loaded her up with bags of pine bark and top soil.

6. Foto0082.jpg An old pic of mine,transporting dead bodies to the toxic waste facility!;)

jchav62, Fern 54, Dusty-NZ and 2 others like this.
  7. enough pictures! let's get going...... DSCF0007.JPG

8. X-cpe

X-cpe

The second vehicle I bought was a 65 Chevy 6ft. fleetside, 6 with a 3 spd. Know how to make 3 spd into a grenade? Put a 327/350 hp in front of it. I've always had a P.U. or El Camino since. Just too useful not to have one. They have always wound up modified or with some kind of a paint job but still used as intended. Back in the days of more balls than brains we towed a stock car behind it with no trailer brakes. The ball was bolted through a hole burned in a piece of 6"x8" diamond plate that the PO had put on the rear bumper for a step. It had three 1" welds holding it to the rear bumper with an angle iron brace under it similarly attached.

9. LuckySumbich

LuckySumbich
    from Mesa, AZ

My buddy's all original '63 long bed Unibody towing his '30 roadster that still sports a banger. All Henry steel car with a refresh/repaint in the 70's, now has a Columbia 2 speed in it. The truck has it's original 292 and no power steering. I certainly got my daily workout whenever I had to move it around the lot at his shop. IMG_1169.JPG

10. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Use mine to haul engines, wood, steel, whatever is large and heavy. Other than the manual steering feeling like power steering with a lot of weight in back, ole truck holds it fine, even use it to do scrap metal hauls to the recycler. About to put a trailer hitch on it for some towing. So Lowered drop axle truck, being used as a truck on 60 year old components in some places of suspension. When the bed gets too banged up, I give it a good scuff and put more clear on it, adds character. 51-1.jpg

jchav62 and JOYFLEA like this.
  11. jchav62

jchav62

12. 354valiant

354valiant
    from Illinois

How is this for my Dad's Shop truck use... Pretty kool, a friend sent me this pic when he saw it after the Scrap Drive... IMG952854.jpg

13. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I'll be heading out in the morning. Gonna make a 200 mile run to a truck show. Here's my junk, towing my junk;

IMG_2566.jpg

14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

My 56 hauls my ass to work every day , plus hauls engines to and from machine shop. It also hauls all the must have's to the hot rod reunion.. BEER , bbq supplies , pit bikes , tools , sleeping bags etc.:D

15. Well, this ain't a hot rod but I use it. I bought it to pull the 322 nailhead out of, but once I had it running and the air bakes worked good I figured I might as well use it. It's a handy old truck and sure can move a heavy load of clay.

Attached Files:

16. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

A load of apples for the Cider Mill IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0089.JPG

Moon

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

A lot of these are not really "hot rod" trucks, they're just old trucks.

But yeah, my 30 get's pressed into service all the time.
    20151002_162819.jpg 21433080_459743117758402_3434348824862823263_n.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

My present truck is a new(er) model, but i've never owned a pickup (and i've had quite a few) that didn't earn it's keep...vintage or not. Seriously considering giving up the Ram and hunting down an old A-100 truck as a parts hauler.

19. Yes.

20. @Blues4U -
    Open wheeled hot rod truck, fits the bill!
    Looks like a fun vehicle to drive.

Blues4U and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Use my 59 GMC to haul stuff, drive to work, and pull a trailer. However, it needs a little more than a 326 Pontiac V8, for towing.

59 GMC B.png Driving Into Work Dec. 29 2017.jpg Melt Down Drags 2018.jpg

JUNK ROD and waxhead like this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '55 F100 is my daily driver, has been since '76. It was super cherry in '78, when I opened my shop...actually, 'paint-ready! That never happened...yet...
    So, here I am, 1978, some guy drives up and parks some new Chevy 1/2 ton stepside in front, walks in, (he looked familiar, thing he walked in with a customer once)
    He says, "Hi, I gotta go to the dump...Wonder if I could borrow your truck, I don't want to take my new one out there..."
    Really pissed me off. Here I have a shop dedicated to 'bringing Classic rods and trucks back', and this jerk comes over with THIS?
    I calmly suggested, "Why don't you load that trash into your new Chevy truck, have your wife follow you out there and you won't even have to unload anything? Just leave that truck there, in 4 years it'll be junk anyway."
    He muttered something as he walked to his NEW truck. I shook my head in disbelief.

He looked 40. I wondered how he got that old being that stupid.

JUNK ROD and waxhead like this.