Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods clip on swan mirror's - are they out there

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sactownog, May 7, 2018.

1. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

I am in the market for mirrors for my 33 Dodge, all the swan arm mirrors I find seem to require that I drill into my door to mount them. has anyone found clip on (hex screw clasp) style mirrors that have the swan mirror.

sorry if this is an easy find, I have been in the Google cave all morning with no luck. any help is appreciated.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. chopped

chopped

I had some on a 36 Chevy that hung on the door edge with a set screw from the inside. Couldn't see well enough to keep them. Don't remember who I got them from but almost sure they were located in Iowa. (I'm 72, that explains the memory loss)

3. chopped

chopped

4. I bit the bullet and drilled mine for the swan necks.... but I wanted mirrors I could actually see something with. With the taper that most pre-'49 bodies have (wider at the back than at the cowl), I found the clip-ons don't extend out far enough to give a useful view. I'd recommend 4" mirrors too....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-SWAN-NEC...hash=item3ac15c0a1b:m:ma4x9OsLDXpKYLeVYe0pGOw

Same mirrors Carpenter and Drake sell, for a lot less money...

5. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

Yeah, I cant bring my self to drill into a door of an unmolested 87 year old car, the mirror's chopped is recommending are what I had already but it broke before I was able to ever see how good I can see out of them. I am hopeful for the clip on swan neck mirrors.

6. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

7. Yeah, I know about the drilling... LOL. My avatar had those cowl-mount mirrors that replace the cowl trim when I got it, but those proved to be completely useless; you couldn't even see the passenger side one from inside the car, much less anything behind you. I also looked at all the clip-on mirrors, but when I mocked-up their position on the car I found I still couldn't see anything or so little as to be no help. Anything shorter than the ones I linked to, don't bother with the passenger side, and expect a partially-blocked view on the drivers side.

8. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

I bought a 3" mirror for mine Like the Yogi mirror in "chopped's" post. Then I went to the truck stop and bought a 3" blind spot mirror and placed it over the original mirror. I can now sit in the front yard and see the chickens in the backyard. I would rather see out as far and wide as possible than to see a select few things clearly. Someday I'm gonna knock out the original mirror and install the blind spot mirror correctly.
    Yes, it takes some getting used too, but in the end, it works well enough that I can justify using this tiny mirror. It's a win/win.

9. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

yeah, sounding like I need to either drill in door or stick to the clip on. guess the 4" clip on peak mirror is the way I will go since the car had that on to begin with.