Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 2018 Straykat 500 - photos today

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Willy_P, May 5, 2018.

1. Willy_P

Willy_P

2. Willy_P

Willy_P

3. Willy_P

Willy_P

straykatkustoms likes this.
  4. Willy_P

Willy_P

5. Willy_P

Willy_P

I want to add one more car that I photographed in the parking lot the first day and forgot about.
    I met the owners the next day and did not connect the dots until this evening. They were the nicest friendliest folks and had a little terrier service dog named Shadow. If I had known who they were I would have asked them to be in a photo with their great looking 46 ford.

That couple are here on the H.A.M.B. , Rick & Jan

IMG_5981.JPG IMG_5980.JPG IMG_5978.JPG IMG_5986.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

7. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

It was a great show as always. Kudos to Mick and all the "Kats" for knocking it out of the park once again.

8. 48stude

48stude

Thanks for posting

straykatkustoms likes this.
  9. That 36 belongs to Jack and Judy Gaskill, from Nixa, MO. The top was shortened to give it a phantom "Vicky" appearance, and there are several other subtle mods done to it. Jack builds cool stuff, and him and Judy are some of the nicest folks a guy can ever meet.

Willy_P likes this.
  10. Oh, btw, thanks for taking time to shoot a pic of my ol 40 stake truck, too! ;-)

Willy_P likes this.
  11. Willy_P

Willy_P

Brett, My pleasure! We couldn't stay late on Sunday, so we made a cruise loop through town. I saw you and waved - your 'stache is a dead giveaway, but I don't think I caught your eye.

bchrismer likes this.
  12. Sorry I missed ya!

13. rjones35

rjones35

thanks for sharing!

14. philo426

philo426

No Pics of Setzer and the boys rock in it out?

15. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

Thank you for the kind words Willy_P! As you found out, Jan does a lot more talking than I do. Just like last year we had a Great time. Met up with some of the folks we met last year, Al and Trannie, Alan and Kim, our Host's, Travis and Jen and of course Mick. Also met some other H.A.M.B.ers, gonmad, had a nice conversation with him about 348's. Was kinda surprised at his age, compaired to me he's just a kid, so is pinstriper40. It's good to know that these younger guys are going to carry on the Hot Rod Tradition as we know it! Then I met Jim and Auggie from Texas, they were my age and a "Pair to draw To". Jim's chopped '47 Merc has been around for ever and still looks new. Auggie was driving his "Smooth" yellow Chev. Also had the privilege to meet Clay Vance and some of the other CROSSMEMBERS, who graciously picked our car for there Club Pick. Thank you guys! This was only our third Straykat event, last years 500 and Starliner and this years 500 and we came back to Minnesota with an award each time. I'm sure I can speak for the others who received awards that it's nice to know that all of the time and money we all put into these cars is appreciated by others. It is Humbling! Jan and I hope everybody had a safe trip home and we are looking forward to Wichita. Thanks again Willy_P and Clay.

cvstl, Willy_P, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  16. Great day, great cars, great show, great pix. Thanks for posting.

17. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Thanks for the pictures. It was a great event.

Willy_P likes this.
  18. Thanks for sharing the pics. As usual, I took very few but wish I would have taken more. It was a great time hanging out with lots of friends, making some new ones, and checking out lots of kool rides.

cvstl and Willy_P like this.
  19. Willy_P

Willy_P

Jeff,
    I am not a pro photographer like Dan Greenberg,Tom Davison, or Travis Scanlon, but I am a student of their work, and even got Dan to let me follow him around one year AT KKOA to learn how he approaches each car to see why it would or would not be considered - crowds, telephone poles in the middle of the roof, bad lighting, gawkers that walk in front of camera while setting up a shot, even windows stickers that make editing a nightmare.
    I am drawn to photographing a variety of cars at these shows and often the cool badging that manages to be salvaged. It is a struggle to balance time to locate and photograph these amazing old vehicles,or stop long enough to seek out the owner, try to remember their name and listen as they tell you the history of the car, saved from the crusher and brought back to life by folks with huge talents and lots of friends.

It is stunning to learn how long some of these guys have owned their cars. EVERY one of these car builds has a great story of the car history, the owners vision, and MANY great and funny stories of on the road/at a show experiences waiting to be told.
    While listening, it helps to remember to ask if there is one or several unique touches/headaches that come to mind for the owners, to draw out more of the cars and owners character.
    Last year at Starliner I saw a gorgeous red 55 Buick owned by Tom Sparkman.
    I listened to him for 45 minutes telling me the story of the car build, the unique taillight assemblies, funny stories to and from car shows, a real fine investment of my time.

This year I stopped briefly to chat with the owner of the blue Edsel-Floyd I-didn't-get-a-last-name but I'm sure someone will respond.
    He has worked on that car over a period of 20 years, did all of the work himself, and he said he's been to around 25 states and have 17 more planned for this year.
    I was filling up at 10pm the night we got here and two fellows came over to check out my car- Dan Stears and his partner-in-crime Ken. Turned out Dan knows my builder Mike McLin and thought it looked familiar. Ships passing in the night.

I know lots of H.A.M.B. Member names that I want to meet, but not what they look like, so we may not cross paths easily.
    Hudson48/Paul, and
    Rick and Jan are perfect examples.

I knew what Bill Baker looks like from seeing him and his 53 or 54 ford convertible at most every show I attend but never took the time to get introduced.
    I walked up to him at the evening parking lot
    "lawn chair circle of wisdom" gathering and struck up a conversation.
    I soon learned of the
    Old geezers kustum car show in October in Lamar Mo and he invited me to attend, so I will do my best to be there this fall.
    My car is a 4-year build 57 Chevy belair sedan turquoise/white with a not H.A.M.B. -friendly engine, so I mostly keep the hood closed unless someone asks to see it.

Sancho has another Straykat thread going and he found way more cool cars than I did. He even managed to get my car in the background of one of his shots.
    I would like to meet him sometime, perhaps at Starliner in September too.

So, in my "25 words or less post" I think it is cool that Mick and the "Kats" put on such a great event that feels like a family picnic-, Thursday Heritage Theater dinner and a movie (Viva Las Vegas), Free Feed Friday at Too Tall Okie Travis Miller' cool shop, Saturday live rock bands in the theater, hundreds of hot rods to drool over, Ryan's website to provide a means where so many folks who could not make it here, get to see these great cars, and hear some cool stories to go with them
    - hudson48's thread on getting his car from Brisbane to the show is quite amazing too if you have not read it -

Road trip USA

Bill
    IMG_6129.JPG

cvstl, Sancho, 1stGrumpy and 2 others like this.
  20. Very cool Bill. The owner of the Edsel is Floyd Dutton and a great friend. Mickey, Travis Miller, Dan Stears, Tim Powell, Duke Epperson, Jimmy Spears, Dick Krober, and lots of others I am sure I missed make this event have an atmosphere like no other. Sorry I wasn’t able to meet you in person, but will try to in the future. My real name is Jeff Smith and I was in my beater 66 Chevy pu this past weekend.

cvstl and Willy_P like this.
  21. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Nice pictures ,Thanks for sharing

22. Just realized you knew my name before I mentioned it. Did we meet and I just don't remember or can't put a face with a screen name? :oops: I do remember your car.

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. Willy_P

Willy_P

I read the H.A.M.B. Chapel posts, probably not as much as I should, and I picked up your first name a long time ago.
    Your H.A.M.B. Name is easy to remember because my dad was born on the skeleton river just outside Guthrie in 1909.
    Bill

guthriesmith likes this.
  25. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Bill for the kind words and posting the kool pics. Thankfully you posted them so we can see what we missed. One of the highlights was following you to Movie night in my Impala. My '60 sure sounds a lot better following you around town. Lol! Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I'm blessed with a lot of help that has the same passion as I do for Kustoms and Hot Rods.

26. Willy_P

Willy_P

Mick, was there a final count on how many cars participated this year? I sent photos to my son in Switzerland, and he was curious how many cars you were able to fit in the car show

27. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

552 was the registered number of cars.

Travis Royboy took this picture at the Inspiration award. This year we gave the award to Bill Moore. Diehard kustom guy...... Jeff Myers, myself Bill Moore, Darryl Starbird, Gary Mundy were the past Inspiration award winners and the kool guy on the right was out 1st Grand Marshall Jim "Jimbo" McDonald.

76490970-2015+Stray+Kat+500_120.jpg

Bowtie Coupe, Sancho and Willy_P like this.