Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chinese aluminum radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, May 6, 2018.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

F975F4F2-AD37-4C22-8498-A81AF954E2A8.png see a lot of these cheap O aluminum ratiators on eBay. Anyone use these? I need one for a 28’ grill for Nailhead. Ford application would work. Mistake? 255$ free shipping

2. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

May be built in NJ? Hard to believe

3. You get what you pay for. Let us know how it works out.

OahuEli likes this.
  4. I bought one at Springfield, MO swap meet once while at HAMB Drags. It worked great. Can't remember the brand but it was Chinese made.

5. Confucius say......
    "man with cheap radiator, walk to car show"

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

They sure are tempting price wise. The caps they provide do not inspire confidence. And they are not repairable.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Two words.
    Rubber cushions.

Hot Rod Nut and Special Ed like this.
  8. oj

oj

I 'spoke' to those people a while back about making a radiator for cut down early Model A shell and they said send them the shell and they'd make one for it. I haven't sent them one as I'm not ready for radiator but I got the feeling they were made here.

dsiddons likes this.
  9. leon bee

leon bee

I see those for Ford on ebay for $200 shipped. That's cheaper than driving all around trying to find the right radiator shop. If I buy one I'll consider it temporary to get me on the road.

Thing with ebay is, I want to buy it from car guys. Don't want some young girl in Hong Kong arranging the sale cause they don't know what the hell any of it is. And I'd like to minimize the necessity of having to send it back.

dsiddons likes this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The only time eBay has ever given me trouble in general is when I for whatever reason failed to do my job and investigate the seller beforehand. Negatives in the feedback, a certain percentage, for example is a huge flag. A 100% rating is no guarantee the sale will be painless but it is a good indication that the seller isn't a screwball. Write them about the product, a lot of them are sold by car guys and located in California.

I bought one several years ago but never got around to installing it. One thing they are insistent about with warning stickers on the box, is to only use distilled water with their product.

11. 1932tub

1932tub

The radiator that is shown looks like it has the overflow going back up into the filler neck same as the original.
    If that is the case you would be unable to pressurise the radiator.
    Alloy radiators are easily repairable, we repair motocross radiators, and in many cases press them straight before repair.
    If you use an alloy radiator make sure it is well earthed, one wire to the frame and one back to the battery.
    There are plenty of additives to use with your water without having to use distilled water.
    Many modern cars use alloy radiators.

dirt t likes this.
  12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

a "Moline" 397... brass...
    from a 62ish ford truck, after trimming it fits in a '28 shell...
    center fill, has cooled many of a buddy's SBC for years... $125 to $155... depends who you know...
    the grid is a difuser for a florescent light fixture... $13 at lowz.. does 2 shells...
    DSCN1071.JPG
    in '31 GRILL SHELL... DSCN1073.JPG

F&J likes this.
  13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Brass is an alloy ... I'm guessing what you mean here is aluminium. The problem as I understand it, these inexpensive radiators are constructed internally using Epoxy, as opposed to brazing or solder or whatever.

Maybe, but that's what the folks who actually warranty these things want. I wrote them and asked about modern coolants - as opposed to good old green - and they wrote back
    that modern coolants are not necessary, the classic green ethylene glycol is no problem but they recommend distilled water fwiw.

Montana1 likes this.
  14. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Bought one off ebay for my 58 AMC three years ago. Bolted right in and haven't had an issue yet. I also bought a Honda civic rad that had a fan and shroud on it. I needed a low cut rad due to my roadster project being channelled big time. Haven't tried this one yet but the outlet for the rad hose are on the same as sbc and I can get a straight up or 45 degree water neck for top. You can get them in three or four core. I included a picture of a similar one I bought minus the fan and shroud. I'm not running a hood and with the shroud I think it will work out.

Attached Files:

dsiddons likes this.
  15. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I have used several of those aluminum radiators on hobby member projects. Also have one on my engine test stand. Other than one being damaged on shipment I have had no complaints. I would rather use brass radiators and do on my own cars and 'no budget' builds.

16. Squablow

Squablow

There's one in my '55 Packard that was in there when I got it, my dad runs them in like 3 different cars, and I bought one for my '52 Ford but haven't put it in yet. They don't have the old timey look of a brass radiator, but for the price, they work great, we have not had an issue with any of them yet.

If you're on a tight budget and you can deal with the look, I say go for it, the quality seems to be fine, at least, if you're buying it from one of the big dealers with established feedback. They are functionally quite good.

17. 1940Coupe

1940Coupe

Got one in my coupe. Seems to be working fine. Keeps a steady 80-85c with the flathead
    image.png

18. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Bought a Champion for my 40 off ebay, it is made in China and 100% welded construction, no epoxy's.
    It's of good quality and zero issues 2 years and counting. If I were building another car I'd buy again.

ebfabman and bob b. like this.
  19. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Used Champions in two car, 57 Ford/390/FMX and a57 Ranchero 351C?AOD. Never had a problem, perfect fit.

dsiddons likes this.
  20. sdroadster

sdroadster

Does it ruin the cooling potential of an aluminum radiator if you paint it black?

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I was going to comment on the young Girl from Hong Kong, but I just remembered it's Sunday and I best behave myself...

ebfabman, OahuEli and bob b. like this.
  22. I have a '65 Chevy Champion in my Ford, made very well. I use a seller on eBay, radiators4less. No tax, no shipping. Champion on their site hits you $30 to ship.

23. chaddilac

chaddilac

Make sure the cap that's with it is rated for your application... my buddy used one in his 50 chevy pickup and the cap was too high pressure and it popped the heater core when it heated up.

dsiddons likes this.
  24. louisb

louisb

I bought an aluminum rad from radman2776 on eBay. He is located in Alabama. Nice tank with a pressed top section that looks more like a brass radiator.

—louis

25. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, NO, I have painted 2 alum radiators with high temp flat black grill paint without any negative result.

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. Thermally, yes, as the paint acts as an insulator, but you are talking a fraction of a degree. Visually I like to see a lot of nothing in there, so I will paint the front of my next one flat black. If the difference between painting it and not painting it is having an effect on your mill, you have problems elsewhere. I just ordered another one for my next DD, which is not finished yet.

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man thats some ugly welding, no way I'd trust that kind of worksmanship. Better to spend your money on a radiator like those produced by U.S. Radiator. Worth every penny. In 1996 I ordered one from them, put it in my avatar on a Friday and the following Monday started a Virginia to California road trip cooling a 400+hp 429 towing a trailer, didn't worry about the quality because they had a good reputation and had NO problems. You get what you pay for.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Moriarity and dsiddons like this.
  29. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Update: GPI racing on eBay got back to me with the radiators are built in China and some customers feedback saying they will not fit and do not recommend. benderb426 on eBay said: they build custom radiators brass and copper. The are around 600$. Conclusion: as said above, you get what you pay for

30. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Ive got a champion chin a radiator on my unibody. Along with a fan the 4 row version keeps my stroker motor cool even on hot days at a slow moving cruise night