Register now to get rid of these ads!

’33 REO Speedwagon build w/ a twist

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Find, May 6, 2013.

1. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

BTTT

( Occasionally Moderators get a report of a post being off topic or a picture or two that are not on topic.
    Instead of hitting delete for the off topic pictures - appears I deleted the thread in error.
    My apologies.
    Deleted thread has been located and un-deleted.)

2. Thank you

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

4. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I've yet to drive any car from the 30s that handles as good as it looks, but it does pretty good. It wasn't until we got this truck on the road that we realized how significant some of the mods were to the sedan we had driven for thousands of miles. The previous sedan has insert bearings, high compression pistons onf lightened push rods. It is noticeably more powerful than the pickup. The Ford 9" paid off by giving us a choice of gears. We settled on 3.73 gears after trying a few higher ratios.

5. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I missed it before so thanks for putting it back!
    Barn Find, Just read through the whole thread so thanks, very interesting.
    Kudos's to you and your Dad for pulling it off. Looks like it's been on the road forever, Just like it sounded like the intentions were.

Barn Find and DBruce like this.
  6. jackalope

jackalope

Read the entire thread from beginning to end while I'm sitting on a beach in Mexico. Thank God for wifi because this was an awesome read.
    I see Brazito on the door. I pass right through that neat little town going to the lake. Love the station and stores right off hwy 54!
    Again, awesome job and amazingly written post. Top notch. Kudos to you and your pop!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. TexasRay

TexasRay

DBruce likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm sorry I missed this thread when it first started, found it after it was deleted, so glad corncobcoupe is the SUPER MODERATOR he is and brought it back. It is 2:45 Sunday morning and I just finished reading everything from page one, what a great trip! Bob

DBruce and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  9. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Well done on an amazing truck! Also a VERY informative thread! (I'm glad it's back) You have written it with so much detail, it feels like I was on the road trip with you.
    Cheers Aaron.

Sent from my SM-G360G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

DBruce and The37Kid like this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I was heart broke when you PM that it was down. I'm so glad it's back that I read it again. Just incase it's goes away another time.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oldtymehiboy and DBruce like this.
  11. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

A friend calls Dad and tells him he should check out this art show downtown where this painting is hanging on display. The artist must have taken a photo of Dad's Speedwagon at a show and then painted this with great detail. It is a great compliment to what Dad built. I'm also impressed because this is not the first time this old truck has inspired artists. When the REO sat in Oregon, someone had painted it sitting across the street from the Shaniko Hotel. In two different parts of the country, in vehicles so different, you'd barely recognize it is the same cab, this truck has inspired people. I think that's neat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. philo426

philo426

I think most Franklin's were air cooled,true?

13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Yes. All Franklins were air cooled. When they quit making cars, they continued to build air-cooled aircraft engines. The only possible exception could be the engine used in the Tucker, which was based on a Franklin engine, but converted to water-cooled.

14. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

The truck turned out fantastic. Don't change a thing. :D

Barn Find and DBruce like this.
  15. Duke of Haphazard

Duke of Haphazard
    from PNW

I know it's old, but this was a cool thread. I hope the old truck is still hauling.