Register now to get rid of these ads!

History New England Dragway guys! Remember Ken Knight's "Stampede" 57 Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod28AR, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Anyone remember or have photos/footage of the green '57 Chevy 210 4dr sedan "Stampede" driven by Ken Knight in the late '60s? Powered by a 427 dual quad tunnel ram....
    -Thanks, Dean

2. I have the original 427 (steel crank, pop-ups, Offy dual quad tunnel ram) and Fairbanks auto/clutch transmission, slicks, and trophys. Front nose is lift off fiberglass, straight axle front, 4:88 Dana 60 rear with front and rear ladder bars etc... Supposedly pretty well known at Epping in the late 60s...
    -Dean

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. MercManMario

MercManMario

Very cool. I just started racing my mustang up at NED about 10 years ago, so i missed out all of that cool stuff. Sweet piece of history!

4. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Was'nt that on ebay? or one like it

5. Yup, it was listed pretty poor, didn't even mention the 427 or anything. I paid quite a bit more for it then it went for on ebay but I feel it was worth it.
    -Dean

6. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

wow!! you found another. tri year Chevy's rule

7. Found this on the web............."Ken Knight lived in the Milford/Wilton,NH area"

Good luck with the project.

8. ...bump...anyone recognize it?

-Dean

9. BTTT....just a little update, the deal kinda fell through on the car (my fault) so it's heading back over to my buddy's shop. The good news is he is going to build it for this spring and I'll probably end up racing "Locomotion" against it at Lebanon Valley or Epping. That will be a race to watch! Still looking for info and photos of it though,
    -Thanks, Dean

10. BUMP anyone remember it? So as stated the deal fell through but I "may" have another chance at it, we'll see...would be cool to get some more history on it though.
    -Dean

11. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Been go'n to NED since the 70s off & on. Don't recall that car
    sorry but good luck anywayz
    Pontiac Slim

12. I have a feeling this car stopped racing by the early 70's, probably ran in say '68/69? All the class winner stickers in the window are from New England Dragway so I don't think it ever ran anywhere else. Don't know what class it would have run being a 4-door. The engine is setback into the firewall.
    -Dean

13. Dean.
    Is there a Ct. Dragway renuion today?...............

14. No, the Frank Marratta auto show is today. There's supposed to be a CT Dragway type display there though. The Dragway slideshow nostalgia night is the 28th of this month in Wallingford. I'll be up in the show this afternoon.
    -Dean

15. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I was the number two bidder on that car. It went CHEAP! Neat old car. Glad to see it getting back on the track.

16. It went really cheap! Wish I had seen it then I would have bid on it, it was just listed funny. I'm surprised I can't seem to find anyone with old New England Dragway photos...license plate is from 1969 and all the class winner stickers are from NE so it was there!
    -thanks, Dean

17. bump! Someone must remember this thing or have photos, ask around!
    -Dean

18. Dean.....................Have you checked with the Gassahguys.com ? A lot of them have been racing locally for years.......... check there web site.

19. bump! I emailed the gassahguys, haven't heard anything yet.
    -Dean

20. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here but the memory isn't what it used to be.They have a couple of vintage events every summer @ NED. Check their website for the dates,if you have'nt found out by then ,someone there should know.
    Bruce

21. Bump.....my buddy still has this car, anyone remember it??? And on a side note, what would something like this be worth? I think it's neat being a 4dr, but does it kill the value?? Is it worth fixing up?
    -Dean

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. 64sshemi

64sshemi
    from weare n.h.

I raced at New england dragway from 67 to 71, I ran in "Street Eliminator" class, this included Modified production, Gas classes,Altereds,Street roadsters and others. I do not remember that 57 chevy ever running with us. Possibly he raced just for class trophies or in 1967 or1968 but I never remember seeing that car.

23. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMHO, anything with a racing history is worth restoring and in this case, I think I'd keep the patina. As far as being "valuable" I'd say race cars aren't unless they have some really far out record holding status. I despise the whole WIW bullshit anyway, probably because I hate the speculators in our hobby. They are souless, polo shirt and khaki shorts wearing, power parking, Barrett-Jackson fan, bandwagon jumping douchebags. Not that I'm saying you are, I'm just saying....

Restore it mechanically and race it.

24. TODD BERUBE

TODD BERUBE
    from NASHUA NH

hey-do you ever get a chance to drive a 4 speed hemi car recently? todd

25. Bump...can't believe I have found absolutely no history on this thing yet!
    -Dean

26. jaysbest2000

jaysbest2000
    from Maine

Send me a cell # and we can talk about Ken's 57 Stampede. Ken is like my brother. We raced Division 1 together. I raced a super N Automatic. Wait for reply.
    Jay

27. 64-TBOLT

64-TBOLT

28. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

You might want to check with Knight's Garage on Route 125, Barrington, NH. or Squires Auto Body Shop in Epping, NH.