Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Age Poll

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Petejoe, May 1, 2018.

?

What is your age group

Poll closed May 31, 2018.
  1. Under 20

0.3%
  2. 20-30

2.1%
  3. 30-40

9.9%
  4. 50-60

22.4%
  5. 60-70

32.5%
  6. Older than 70

23.0%
  7. 40-50

8.8%
  8. Older than dirt 80-90

1.0%
  1. F&J

F&J

That is terrible at your young age... I am fairly lightweight, and the first 3208 Cat head I did was enough to make me be very careful.. run your car ad in the hamb classifieds..and... get hooked up with the "right" physical therapist at this time in your life... find the right one..it may take a few tries. I say this as maybe you can end up in "ok shape" later on in life's journey, when we do feel stuff change.

good luck to your health issue. PS, my back was really touchy for years, starting in my late teens/early 20s, BUT after throwing it out good, when first I started on Medium Duty Trucks around age 30, I then went to a Chiropractor for the first time ever...it was not what they did to me, but they gave opposite advice compared to the Medical side, like doctors/ & emergency room, who always said take pain meds then lay down or rest...

the Chiropractor said in "my own" particular case, I should always "get up" and move around when it got tight, and never lay down when it got tight.....also they never ever gave prescriptions to any client...that just masks the issue they said (in my case)

2. AlaskanMatt

AlaskanMatt

3. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Me too!!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 49deluxe

49deluxe

Yeah I will be in PT after I am 3 months post-op. I have a great PT and they work wonders it’s just before I was too far gone. Yeah when you feel that tightening like I was told “get your ass up and move!” I am going to be listing my jalopy on the classifieds once I get some more pictures but I am not expecting much as it does run and drive but it needs a lot of work still. I am going to be sad to see it go.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear you about the streetrod movement opening its door to such new shit. I was a regular at GOOD-GUYS in Ft.Worth for several years, but now I concentrate on the LONESTAR ROUNDUP in Austin, Key to the Hills in Boerne, and a few new small runs in Gonzales and Lockhart, TX. I get along just fine with the crew in Austin, many traditionalists, even though my roadster doesn't quite fit in with banjos, flat motors, and '39 trannies. We knew our days were numbered at Ft. Worth when new Challengers, 'stangs, 2nd gen. Beetles, and 4X4 diesel trucks cruised through the crowd. If you haven't attended the L.S.R.U. in April, you are missing the best Texas has to offer, in my opinion. I'm 71.

6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, I truly know just how Pete felt. When we cruise in the roadster, we both get a feeling similar to riding a motorcycle, a feeling of freedom that hopefully everyone will experience sometime in life. Might sound crazy to some, but it is true.

pprather likes this.
  7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Both living independently on their own still"? That's how Mountain people maintain their youthfulness. If stills were legal, I'd surely own one. LOL

Clay Belt likes this.
  8. theburningbush

theburningbush
    from Tacoma WA

32 now, started on the old cars when i was 23.
    I always hear about of talk about the future of the classic car hobby and how my generation is going to let it die out. I know that there are a few of us out there that own and work on the classics, maybe more than you think. I know personally that it's difficult to find the time to work on my cars, much less budget the money. Im not sure if there had been a time in America when it has been more expensive to live. Most of the guys i know are working more than full time just to provide the basics ( food, water, electric, mortgage, and health insurance that costs almost as much as the mortgage). So, between that and time with kids and family nixes most car show potentials. Not to mention its more fun to drive than park!
    I also hear alot of trash talk about millennials, and i agree that some of that is warranted. However i would like to remind you that in the "economic recession" the 2 groups that got hit the hardest were: those of you who were about to retire, and my age group. You lost much of the value of your investments or retirement accounts that you worked your whole life for, and we got our legs kicked out from under us while we were first trying to stand up.
    While we are on the topic of young people and the destiny classic cars; i believe that you and i HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY AND RESPONSIBILITY to save the hobby. But it wont be easy. You may have to let some punk touch your car, sit in your car, or take it for a spin around the block! (Say it aint so!).
    For most of my life i was blessed to have a dad and an awsome collection of old dudes around to show me how to be a man, how to do life, and how to turn a wrench. Unfortunately I'm down to 1 mentor now, and am spending more time here to fill in the knowlege gaps...
    Which leads me to my next point. You need to "ADOPT A MILLENNIAL!"
    i may not have been around the block as much as some here, but from what i can tell of the world; times change, circumstances change, technology changes, but people dont. No matter where you go people desire more or less the same things in life.
    This is also true of millennials.
    MOST MILLENNIALS ARE NOT STUPID! THEY/ WE ARE JUST IGNORANT.
    For example: there was a young man not to far out of high school that was an apprentice at my company, he did not seem to have much interest in cars except for basic transportation. Then one day he needed to replace the spark plugs and change the oil on his off topic pickup truck, so i worked with him on his truck and walked him through the basics, couple weeks later it was the alternator. A few months after that he was buying his own tools and replacing all the front end suspension, and now he is thinking of getting a project car!
    All because someone took a few minutes to show the basics.
    If you talk to your kids, or grandkids, or their friends i can almost guarantee that you will find at least 1 that wants some knowlege. But you might have to spend some time under a honda (with a damn metric wrench) because kids have to start with whatever they currently have.

As i said at the begining of this rant, I'm 32. But before you assume that I'm just another product of my generation with a tear of self pitty in my eye, and my hand out hoping for charity, let me tell you what ive done with my life so far...
    -worked full time to pay my way through 2 years of college.
    -served my country for 5 years, and one war
    -built 1.5 on topic chevys (1 still in progress), and dabbled in some off toppic...
    -got married
    -built my house
    -currently building family
    -still working 50 to 60 hr weeks

Side note, on saturday I'm taking my 5 month old son on his first ride in the 53!

I'll leave you with some Neil Young "old man take a look at my life, im alot like you were...."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Before you get too much older and perpetuate the WRONG description of our type of cars..we are a hobby of "special intrest" cars..far from a "classic"...

Mr48chev likes this.
  10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You’re absolutely right. That is exactly what draws us here.
    For some reason I believe all of us old timers want to see this carried on into the new generation. We have a lot of work to do.

11. Some more of The under 30 crowd just abandoned ship.

12. Just because you own one doesn't mean that you know how to use it, stills can and do blow up, usually catastrophically.

13. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Totally agree with most of what you said above man. im a few years younger and feel ya on much of that.
    ... and your so helpful.

We have been brought up with the internet & cell phones. I know many people my age and younger who figure if a car dosnt have a computer in it then its a classic if not vintage. The idea of no airbags or heck seatbelts in some cases is mind boggling.
    No metal work/mechanics or wood work at schools these days. Its coding and design with 3D printers.

So no need to be hostile if we make mistakes thinking something is traditional cus it is two or three times our age. not hard to correct someone with out being a dick & it may just keep someone lurking about here and confident in posting.

kiwijeff and Hnstray like this.
  14. Stooge

Stooge

eugh... Im 30, I don't want to be adopted, I don't want a mentor, I don't want someone to feel obligated to help me as a "responsibility", talk to me because we have similar interests not because I need a father figure or something. Money can be tight because building a car in a specific manner can be an expensive hobby but having to work within a budget isn't specific to the younger crowd, everyone has bills to pay.

Rex Stallion, Hnstray and BLUSHU like this.
  15. WTF really

WTF really

I'm 51 anyone if anyone in the older than dirt wants to leave me a toy to play with I'm building a very nice flathead v8 now lol. After reading all this I hope to make it and keep playing as long as all my elders in here. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your knolage here. This is a awesome place.

16. Drew Link

Drew Link

I am 38. Sometimes i forget that and think i cant do things I did 20 years ago. Oh well i definitely don't feel like i have been around for almost 4 decades!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. chris' 38

chris' 38

People are dying to get in here

Clay Belt, Petejoe and Maverick Daddy like this.
  18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

wraymen likes this.
  19. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

At the top of the thread....

21. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Does not appear for me.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Doctorterry likes this.
  22. jeeze, all the ages with a 0 at the end get a choice. :)

23. spooler41

spooler41

You got to vote before you see the poll results !
    Don't feel bad ,it took me a little while to figure it out also, it's all part of being well over 75....

24. turtle1951

turtle1951

25. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Turn 61 next week and I'm on my first build. Hope to get one or two more builds in before calling it quits (hopefully by choice). As a child of the 60's and a young man of the 70's, I feel I got to live during the best time to be a car guy.

26. I was Crussing in the 50's a Great Time, Lot's of Fun being on the
    Right Coast.
    In that Time Period, where you could Buy a Running Car for $15.-25 dollars
    and take it Home and work on it to make it Your way was Great

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

F&J likes this.
  27. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The poll doesn’t show on the H.A.M.B. app. Need to use safari or a computer.

Doctorterry likes this.
  28. appears for me, my server is Firefox
    Mabey if your using another Server it Not Showing
    Thats because You Guy's are to Young!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

29. To get to the poll from the app, navigate to the top of this thread, then touch the three dots in the top right corner of the app. Then touch 'web view'. You should see the poll and be able to cast your vote.
    Hope this helps.

Phil

Doctorterry and Petejoe like this.
  30. Double nickels for me.
    I just got back in to cars when my youngest moved out.
    I was an avid car junkie from the first time my dad brought home a Hot Wheels car.
    I bought my first car, a 50 Ford sedan at 14 with paper route money.
    Right through to my mid twenties I had a special interest car of some kind, mostly OT & Mopar
    Then I got married & did the responsible thing & got out of the hobby when the rugrats arrived.
    Life got in the way.
    I spent the next 20-25 years wanting a car back.
    Now that Im back I cant get enough & the projects are starting to pile up.
    I have a couple HAMB friendly projects & one OT driver that I cant get enough seat time in, I try to drive it everywhere in the Summer.
    My car life has come full circle, except now I can afford the good parts, kinda.
    The exchange rate & freight is a killer.
    I told the wife it is the cost of my happiness.