Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brass or steel pipe plug?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deyomatic, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

In all my years of wrapping Teflon tape around threads, I don't remember every having had one leak. When I replaced the intake manifold gasket a couple years ago on my SBC I put a chrome looking Allen head plug in that little 1/2" hole by the thermostat housing because it was low profile. For whatever reason it started leaking over the winter.

Since I hate disturbing antifreeze and don't want to have to drain it again I figured I'd find out if I shouldn't be using that chrome looking plug, for whatever reason. Should I double wrap it or use some kind of thread sealant?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. F&J

F&J

all I know is that sbc chromed t-stat housings leak more often, some even have an o-ring instead of a gasket so if you have one "chromed or not", but do have a chrome plug? maybe the issue is the plating?

you can use a vacuum on the rad opening, then pull that plug ...hydraulic systems guys working on heavy equipment do that when changing a hose.. putting a vacuum on the hyd tank

SEAAIRE354 likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Lately I have been using the paste type thread sealer the pipe fitters use. I think works better then the teflon tape.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Chase the threads with a tap, or you'll probably get to do it one more time ... I'd find a square headed iron plug, not trusting anything chromed around antifreeze. Permatex 3H is still my choice if using anything. Also, some of those allen headed plugs don't have any taper.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    57 HEAP likes this.

5. I always use this.......
    [​IMG]

6. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Just be careful when using any kind of Teflon especially the paste with tapered plugs in any kind of castings as it acts like a lubricant and it’s very easy to over tighten the plug and crack the casting. Come to think of it take a closer look at the intake and make sure that’s not what happened. As for chrome I try to stay away from it concerning pipe plugs. I will usually try to use anadized

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

zzford and Elcohaulic like this.
  7. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Thanks guys. I think the comment about the Allen head plug not being tapered was the key- it wouldn't get snug. I bought a brass plug with the square head and it sat too high for the water neck so after a little trim job it fits fine and snugs up, so I went back to my old favorite- teflon tape.

Thanks again.

Chucky likes this.