Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Humoring the wife pays off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat47, May 2, 2018.

1. Fat47

Fat47

Last weekend my wife wanted to stop at an antique shop so, being a good husband, I agreed, relented, avoided an arguement, what ever you want to call it. I even went in this time and while walking down the isle spotted these:
    DSCF2130.JPG

$60 for the set. 15" and in great shape. Just right for the 50 Ford project coming up next.

I may have to rethink this antique store thing.

2. To quote an old line “happy wife, happy life “ just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and wicarnut like this.
  3. That is a heck of a deal,congratulations. HRP

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nice! Does this mean your committed to shop every little shop now?

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Now, that's what I call 'Carma'........:D Congrats.

Ray

loudbang and NashRodMan like this.
  6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I found these in an antique store last week, for $8 bucks each. thumbnail (10).jpg thumbnail (11).jpg thumbnail (9).jpg
    It pays to search in obscure places...

7. Rckt98

Rckt98

Wow that is a good score. Probably worth that much each if they are as good as they look.

8. billsat

billsat

Your accommodating of your wife is known as “taking the path of least resistance “. The older you get the easier it becomes.

loudbang, Desmodromic, seadog and 3 others like this.
  9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way to be, Fat. Pretty good RE-ward for hangin' out with your better half.
    Yeah, sure...I'd go to antique shops with my wife too. One time, I spotted a beautiful soft-pink set of china that was hiding under a counter that she hadn't seen. It was only $40 and Sandy was so excited...lol. She was like, "Good eyes, Rick!"
    And she'd often bring tools home for me.
    As time goes by, the memory of how you found your spinners with your dear wife will become ever more important.
    Especially after they're on the Ford. I can see it now...just before the maiden voyage. You, your wife and the Ford.
    "The finishing touch, hon. Help me put on these spinners caps that you and I found."

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice find...but do they spin? :rolleyes:
    Sorry, HAMB throw back.

11. You look after them,generally they look after you..

Just Gary likes this.
  12. I have always found some great stuff at non-car related places. Antique stores, thrift stores and yard sales. Even if I don't need it the price demands a purchase.

13. Terrible80

Terrible80

Relationships are about communication and compromise. My wife and I discuss options and then do whatever the hell she wanted in the 1st place.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Obscure place, such as an antique store?!
    Go more often and you may not believe what you'll see.
    And buy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I have sold lots of auto stuff at my antique shop.
    Have bought a lot too.
    You guys need to get in those more. But stay away from the dress and shoe stores. :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. 5window

5window

Damn! Tons of antique shops around here but they all think they're selling gold plated Duesenberg stuff. I did once find a great set of Peterbilt headlights-round buckets with the turn signals built into the bezels, but the new rims I bought from Peterbilt are just a hair too small and I have not yet figured out how to compress the rolled rim enough to fit on the old buckets without marring the chrome.

17. khead47

khead47

Hey Bandit.........good one ! Wonder what happened to the spinner guy ?

18. Car guys should not avoid antique shops. You would be surprised how many car related items you can find in them. They are not always just old dishes and crap.

19. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

He's problably not with us anymore.............and the same will happend to mine when I will be gone.............the first 15$ each and the spinner will fly away...........by the way, I also got five '55 spinner......

20. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I found a very Kool 4 way lug wrench with a really neat Brass tag in the middle for $3.00 several years ago. I put my other away and now use this one all the time.

21. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I always pick antique stores for car parts. You can usually find something and it is usually either cheap or way overpriced which you can make a reasonable offer on.

22. mountainman2

mountainman2

Yep.....I think he was set up! :rolleyes:

23. jnaki

jnaki

Hey F,

“HUMORING THE WIFE PAYS OFF” Boy does it ever. Nice purchase at the antique store for those Olds Fiesta hubcaps. They were the first things that were put on my brother's 51 Olds Sedan before we bought some Moon Discs. Sold those flippers to a friend with a 56 Chevy hardtop. Those were just the "classic look" during our 50s-60s hot rod/cruising days.
    51 Olds Sedan

With over 50 years invested in this long term relationship, it does pay off. First it was dating, concerts, hot rods, surfing, surf trips, vacation to Europe, (“we won’t stay together unless we go to Europe”…a big choice, it turned into a nice 40 day trip…) Mexico trips, and finally, family surroundings. Step by step, it has paid off in this historical timeline to the present surroundings and lifestyle.

It started off with trips to antique stores for classic oak antique furniture. (Hot Wheels/Matchbox and car signs for me...found the rare VW Van with surfboards...) It sure seemed like we lived in the City of Orange antique circle, the Long Beach antique row, and the little antique shops in Laguna Beach. Then it changed, as our homes/activities changed. Going along all of this time is/was a valuable investment.

She has confidence in all of my comings and goings, including automobile choices and stuff. Over the past years, we all have adapted to our current lifestyle. She even takes photographs of old cars just so I can see them and enjoy the moment.

Jnaki

upload_2018-5-5_5-24-58.png
    Being raised as a California girl, she has always liked convertibles. (Her mom had a 47 Buick convertible in the 50s.) But practicality and security are primary for her, so she looks, but does not buy. Recently, she saw a new, powerful, sporty type car that had a built-in hard top. It was really good looking, safe, and was a convertible with 400+hp. Instantly, the convertible idea jumped into play. So, what does she say? She talked for the next 30 minutes on the subject of convertibles and security, then dropped it like a hot potato as the price came into play.

Then in the next day, she sends me some photos of what she was considering instead of that 400+ HP folding hardtop, sporty type car? See for yourself… Right down our alley, with dual headlights and straight from 1958. We are still talking…"Humoring the wife...pays off."

Give a little and get a lot. That says it all !!!

24. 2935ford

2935ford

For me, usually the other way round....I'm the one stopping at the antique stores!

xpletiv and lurker mick like this.
  25. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

I don't have to worry about my wife asking if we can stop at an antique (JUNK) store on our journeys as usually I have eyeballed the sign and am pulling into the parking lot before she even sees the sign. Pretty rare you can't find something automotive in them. And ... for what it is worth, I prefer to refer to them as JUNK stores. Sounds a little less girly

Bruce Fischer and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. southerncad

southerncad

I fully agree, last summer, at an Antique shop, and of course with the wife, I found a set of four '56 Chevy wheel covers for $20! and they were in great shape.....great swap meet material!

Bruce Fischer and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. I like the sign that says "We buy junk, sell antiques".

wackdaddy likes this.
  28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Junk stores and flea markets are great places to find stuff. Sometimes you get lucky at yard and estate sales, but most of them are used clothes and shoes and furniture. I did buy a brand new in the box paint gun at one once for $5 though, you never know until you look.

29. I want go a least once a month, sometimes twice. We have a few close by and 4 or 5 in Orange, plus a local “vintage” swap meet once a month. It’s a great chance to take a break for a day (with cruising), drive one of the cars and find great stuff (tools, car parts, household junk).

30. 60F250

60F250
    from Jasper,AL

I found these sombreros at an antique mall a few months ago. They were marked $25 for the set, but it turned out everything in that booth was 50% off, so I got them for $12.50! Three of em are rusty, but I just bought them for wall hangers anyway. I just put the nicest one up on the hose hanger on my new shop. 20180203_160059.jpeg 20180505_125939.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk