Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Leaf spring options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drew1987, Apr 30, 2018.

1. drew1987

drew1987

Hi all,

When I was building my car, an incredibly selfless stranger read my post about modifying my stock rear leaf springs, and shipped me Posi 3” dropped leaves for a 1949 to 54 Chevy. They are fantastic… But a little bit stiff, and a little bit high. I figured removing a leaf or maybe two would take care of both issues, but might of course affect my launch when I hammer it from a dead stop. I looked under the car, and remembered that my leaves are totally flat if not bowed the wrong way, so CAN I even take a leaf out? Never imagined leaves arched the opposite in this application. Someday it will be 4-linked, but for now, I’m just trying to get as many miles on it as I can. If it’s not a horrible idea to take one or two out, I assume I start with the second shortest one? That super short one can be doing anything for stiffness, but only support, yes?

Thanks in advance for the info / advice

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. drew1987

drew1987

Hello again, surprised not to see a bunch of responses. Am I asking something inappropriate for the site/section?

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know less about 49 to 54 chevys than I do about women...and that is zilch, zero, nada. That said, I had a set of leafs under my OT Bandit car that sat the ass high and mighty. I tool the car to my local spring guys (Oregon Spring) dropped off the car and picked it back up at the end of the day sitting level and bitchin. My point is you can keep installing springs, removing leafs, adding blocks and whatnot or take it the spring shop and have them do that voodoo - that they do - soooo - wellll!.
    upload_2018-4-30_21-2-29.png

belyea_david likes this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Cole Porter

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure about a 49 (I have a 41) but if there's any similarity it's possible to install the shackles the wrong way up giving about 6 inches of unwanted lift! That's how mine were installed when I bought it.

I'd say the spring shouldn't be arched the wrong way, and removing leaves will make that worse. Maybe those free springs were worn out or had been messed with? I replaced my wrongly installed, worn out (bent over center) stock springs with Posies (bought new) and they're perfect, but needed lowering blocks. Rides beautifully I'm pleased to say.

Chris

6. clem

clem

Yes it would, people do it all the time, but how many leaves and which ones are what can take time and trial and error to figure out.
    How many leaves does it currently have ?

7. drew1987

drew1987

These were brand new, believe it or not! Looks like 7 leAves including the short bottom bar

8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I used the same springs on my 52 Chevy. They raised the car from my previous setup so I pulled a leaf out. Maybe the 2nd from the bottom iirc. Anyways no problems like that for a few years.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I'm a ford guy so give me a break, we talking parallel springs or transverse here?

10. drew1987

drew1987

Lone star you said no problems for a few years.... then what!? Also, what did you do about those straps that hold the leaves?

Saxon - they are parallel

11. Any pics?

Do the springs come with the mounts that go on the frame like the chassis engineering springs or do you reuse the originals?

The spring pack is held together with the centre bolt
    Those straps hold the leave from shifting around

You could heat the straps and in bend them remove leaves and then rebrand the straps or cut them off and make some new ones.

7 leaves sound like a crap ton!

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Not all leaf springs are set up the same, a pic would help. Some leaf springs are progressive, some are not. If you remove the wrong spring on a progressive set up it will not change the ride unless you are loaded. You see the progressive most of the time on pickups, but I have seen them on old cars too. Bones

13. If a 3" drop spring is a little high,,,, how high is "a little?"
    If a 3" drop spring is stiff,,, how much can you afford to let it move?

These are all suspension travel questions,
    lowering it more will lessen the available travel distance before banging something, and softening will make it easier to bang. Maybe you have all kinds of room maybe you don't.

14. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would give Posie's a call and ask them. Blocks would level but ride would be the same

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app