Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Are you doing your part?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29StudeDude, May 1, 2018.

1. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

A recent conversation with my 68 year old Vietnam vet hot-rodder buddy brought this to mind. He is heavily involved in Boy Scouts, and is going to be mentoring one of them, that wants to be a mechanic. The kid is 14 and never held a wrench, so he is starting from scratch, having him help build his '56 Chevy 210, 2 door sedan. We have both joked that in 20 years, there may be very few people into old cars, car shows, drags, etc. I know that topic has been discussed already, but I am curious how those of you (especially 60 and over) react when asked about your car by a young-un? Do you barely talk to them and act bothered? If a kid wanted to hang out in your garage and learn things, would you let him? I was just wanting to gauge how many kids are even interested, and if they are, are they being welcomed into the hobby with open arms? Maybe we could estimate the future of our hobby that way? Your thoughts?

clem and mctim64 like this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

As he/she stands there at the opening of the garage I'd let them just be themselves and see where it goes. Freewill is what I'm referring to. Comfort before rules all the while guiding in does and don'ts in a meaningful and understanding way. That person is there for a reason.

HunterYJ, 29StudeDude and williebill like this.
  3. both my daughters can change oil and tires (not that they ever want to...lol)
    my neighbor is a single mom with two sons. when the oldest got his first car (it needed work) we pulled it in my garage and redid the breaks, changed all the fluids and did a tune up... he had never held a wrench before so i made him do most of the work (and i checked everything behind him)
    my daughters boyfriend has shown interest in the hot rod and i have a feeling he and i will be spending more time in the garage in the coming years...

4. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Very cool!

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. I have help a couple of young guys in the neighborhood but I am afraid they know more about their cars than I do,Both guys own foreign cars with computer operated controls.

I can offer a roof over their heads and the access to all the tools but I'm lost beyond that. HRP

lothiandon1940 and 29StudeDude like this.
  6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My kids never really had a lot of interest in the garage except when their car was broke down:)

I didn't realize it but a friends son told me many years after the fact that when he was a kid he would come up and hang around with me in the shop. He blamed me for his love of cars:) His dad was a better wrench man than me but evidently I was more accepting having him around. I have NO memory of it. The sad part is that he passed of cancer over ten years ago. He had did a numbers matching resto of a 70 Dodge Challenger and said the next car he wanted to do was a modified car. He was far more talented than I and I wish he was around to assist.

VANDENPLAS and 29StudeDude like this.
  7. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Had a 7 year old neighbor kid who was always coming over to watch me work on mini bikes. Had him do some tear downs until his mom got worried he would get hurt.
    We figured it out where he would come over when she was at work during the summer .
    He wrenches for a living now

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 15 year old Grandson helps working on my cars. Its amazing how much he has learned and how helpful he is when I need an extra hand.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Yep, sure do.... I love passing on the knowledge....

29StudeDude likes this.
  10. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I once helped this local kid who's dad passed when he was a baby. He had a blowout on the side of the road and I knew he wouldn't know what to do so I showed him how to change a spare. Long story short I never forget it because first thing he tells me is "man, I don't have one of those things to remove the nuggets." On the inside I was laughing. Good kid though and he grew up to be a good young man. Motto of the story. Help them when you can.

11. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Anyone that grew up on a farm knows how to remove nuggets! Oh, wait, those are the ones called "Mountain Oysters"! Different kind of nugget all together.....

VANDENPLAS, partsdawg and slim38 like this.
  12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That will last as long as it takes for your daughter to discover that he is paying more attention to the garage than paying attention to her. It is a good thing, however, to have him where you can keep an eye on him and not out on a gravel road like you probably did.

29StudeDude likes this.
  13. I have a kid from the local HS that comes in and works for me a couple days a week, we had our open house this last weekend at the shop and he brought along a few friends. I got a kick out of the questions they asked me and I was always encouraging. Too bad the HS auto shops don't help more, they are mostly afraid of someone getting hurt and parents suing the school.
    I always let the kids sit in the cars when they ask.
    31453656_2039086069649482_637616817400971264_n.jpg 20180428_104526.jpg

14. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I remember being 14 and stopping by a local custom car upholster, asked for a job, told him I'd clean, sweep, whatever it took just so long as he would teach me. He gave me a job after a week or so told me he had no interest in teaching me or anyone else anything. I left for lunch and never went back.

I've been thru that scenario a couple times as a kid, not always as a job but as a teaching aide. After that went to a body shop for a year, again owner wouldn't teach me anything, walked away. Heard of a frame and suspension shop that worked on cool customs and all types of race cars, at 15 walked in and talked to the owner, have over 33 yrs there now.

Talked to a lot of guys but only found one willing to stick with me...

15. Yes sir... took my 13 y/o nephew out tonight, then went over and got my buddy and his 10 y/o son...when I was their age I had a good friend who’s Dad would let me tag along everywhere with them...R.I.P Wally the Welder....Andy and me are keeping it going..

29StudeDude likes this.
  16. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Just a brainfart. But I think the younger generations get involved either by social media and movies (which is a bystander effect) or they are born into it (which makes them mini hotrodders).

The more you drive around outside of shows makes it more visible. Puts it relative to everyday life. And shows a different way of doing things.

But them yutes like burnouts and skulls welded to stuff, no wonder them "RR words" gained traction.

29StudeDude likes this.
  17. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That's why we're still here ... to keep it going for those who will absorb.

54EARL and 29StudeDude like this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

when the opportunity arises to pass on the excitement and knowledge of how to work on something and have it progress into something that runs and drives is great - sometimes just a safe ride in a hot rod will plant the seed - even when at a show and you see a kid that really enjoys looking at the cars maybe give them some little token of something car related to remind them of the experience

29StudeDude likes this.
  19. MY son showed an interest early on so I cultivated it. He was 15 when I found this 50 ford coupe for sale but didn't have the ready cash to buy it. He begged me to let him buy it....he had ready cash from his lawn mowing business.... I said I'd talk to his mom. Man, I talked and talked until she finally gave in. He's 45 now and his oldest son is showing an interest! I couldn't be happier!
    Photo was taken in 1988. Second photo is the same car now.
    scan0031.jpg Jbox6.jpg

Gotgas, jnaki, 29StudeDude and 3 others like this.
  20. Grabbed my 13 y/o twin nephews tonight..they kept saying “Uncle Matt everybody stares at your car and gives you thumbs up” one say’s I need one of these when I turn 16

2bubbas and 29StudeDude like this.
  21. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Now that could be awkward. Girls introduces new boyfriend to Dad and ex, "This is my Dad, and this is the clown that would rather be with him than me:D"

I have 15 grand kids and only two who show any interest in cars. But, I guess that's not too bad considering their Grandma.

29StudeDude likes this.
  22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great post.
    I like to stop and offer a ride to the the youngsters who express interest.
    That usually hooks them for life.
    Pickup a 16 yr transfer student from Brazil last week. Said he had never seen a Hotrod let alone rode in one. I’m sure he’s been baptized. Was so much fun watching his reaction.

29StudeDude likes this.
  23. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I see alot of the younger guys wanting to come in the shop to do lubes but my boss always treated them like shit, and they walk out. "They need to have thicker skin than that" he says. He's right to a point, but why deal with the bullshit if you can make $17 an hour selling iphones? I try to guide the younger guys along, but few like it enough to tough it out. I tell my boss all the time 5-10 years he's gonna have an empty shop when everybody retires.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29StudeDude likes this.
  24. trollst

trollst

I'm putting on the local car show here on july 7, today I went up to the high school to ask if an art student would be interested in designing the logo for the tee shirts. I'm a big believer in getting kids involved with cars.

Saxon likes this.
  25. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Trying to steer the nephew in the right direction

IMG_8865.JPG

But sometimes he has to work for it.. haha pictures are about 3 years apart
    IMG_8864.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

That's a helluva tattoo your nephew has there. Does he lift?

clem likes this.