Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lack of Diversity on the HAMB?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by 5window, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's not about that at all. It's more that this is a forum, and I end up talking to myself (or so it seems). Maybe it's my content and although I think it's cool, most others do not? But I have seen a lot of really good threads go down the pages so that "filler" can take it's place.

Surfcityrocker and 117harv like this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I understand....maybe better now with that addition....but I also didn't express what I meant very well.
    My phrasing probably made it sound more like 'ego' than I intended..... nobody wants to to speaking in an 'empty room'. I get your point about maintaining a conversation....Thanks for the reply.

Ray

3. missysdad1

missysdad1

Don't be discouraged, Chris, just keep posting. Intelligent replies to build threads takes involvement by the reader and some knowledge of what you're doing and why. Replies to threads about "should I put white walls on my car?" do not...so there'll be a lot more of 'em. And besides, opinions are like belly buttons anyway...

lothiandon1940 and ClayMart like this.
  4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Not counting..... Folks of Interest......History......Immediate Technical Problems........there are two main thread types.
    Build Threads......and
    Bitch Threads......like this one.

Build threads require a great deal of imput from the builder. Sometimes these threads are good but do not get a great deal of responses. The reason for this is most are waiting for the next installment. A Build Thread is dependent on the builder to keep it going.

Bitch threads take off like a match to gasoline from anything to forum status to parts counter guys. This bitch thread already has multiple pages.

What you do not want is a Build Thread to turn into a Bitch Thread. Usually when that happens the Build really does not fit here.

5. That is true, I never really thought of it that way. And I am not trying to complain at all. But there have been times where I scroll the threads on here and think "WTF". But, this place is only as good as the people who participate. I love build threads and "found" threads...my favorite. I wish there were more of them.

F&J, Special Ed and missysdad1 like this.
  6. well, I think it's good to have a lot of posts started, I got into bikes a year or so ago and have been spending some time over at the Jockey journal, Boy has it been slow over there. Guess it will pick some with the warmer weather. There have been some comments about people not using the "search" button and that may be true but I find the search function not too helpful.
    And Hi to Beaner!

7. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

If it means anything i'm definitely on here more since I got the mobile app, and if I ask stupid questions that have been answered already I apologize.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. I don't think there are any stupid questions,Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society. HRP

Duellym and bowie like this.
  9. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I appreciate that, because alot of things may be common knowledge when it comes to old cars but i'm learning as I go (kind of blindly) and this forum has always been where I turn for advice.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. LIAR!

Stogy likes this.
  11. AndersF

AndersF

Please keep on going with the buildthread this forum needs them all.
    If it lacks on responses you problaby doing it right so no one have complains.

Stogy and anthony myrick like this.
  12. I don't post (or even read) as much on here as I used to (I have the 9th highest post ranking, so I used to spend a LOT of time here). But I just kind of lost interest poking through so many threads like Show Us your Deuce (been done to death) or Let's See Your Seat Belts, How's Your Rear End etc. Now these might be what some folks are looking for, and there is nothing wrong with that, it just wasn't what I used to come here for, which was more Tech Oriented, Hot Rod History, Relevant Event Coverage - that type of thing. The other thing that kind of lost my interest was the way some threads seem to end up going - Like the Hot Rod Trucks thread, seems like tons of people just wanted to post something, anything, and put up any old truck, whether is was a hot rod or not - or else I've lost track of what a Hot Rod is.
    Sometimes I think maybe it's a little better that there aren't new threads every 10 seconds if they aren't really new and interesting or germane to the subject matter of the HAMB. Like the way I build my cars, Less is Oft Times MORE.

42merc, X38, Surfcityrocker and 5 others like this.
  13. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Alright, here goes. Please put spaces after each comma.

Chrisbcritter and lonejacklarry like this.
  14. 42merc

42merc

hotroddon, I agree.

The ignore button is a great thing.
    It gets rid of the Facebook crap.

Surfcityrocker and hotroddon like this.
  15. just posting to increase the count
    this place is therapy
    if asking to see folks rearends keeps HRP from jumping off a bridge I'm fine with it
    I sometimes wonder how many zebra striped hotrods were built
    the closest thing I got to a 32 is a hood latch, I planted it and all I got was some rust

16. (Sometimes I think maybe it's a little better that there aren't new threads every 10 seconds if they aren't really new and interesting or germane to the subject matter of the HAMB. Like the way I build my cars, Less is Oft Times MORE.[/QUOTE])

the dang Germanes got nuthin to do with it

Stogy likes this.
  17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I find it interesting that no one complains about duplicate pictures on the Linda Vaughan thread. Some of the hall monitors are quick to bad mouth a duplicate picture in the Vintage shots from days gone by thread. Let's see: 5200 pages of 30 replies with an average of 60 pictures a page. That is conservatively 330,000 pictures give or take. There might be some duplication there.

I come here to learn about stuff and the fact is that the more I learn, the more I do not understand but you all are helpful. Beaner, for the most part, is Beaner. I appreciate the time that most of you take to make my life more interesting.

18. Duellym

Duellym

probably because most people aren't about to go on every single thread they see and comment "nice car" if that's all they have to add, or at least that's how I see it. I personally don't post much unless I have something constructive to add.

As for why I'm not contributing and adding to my threads all that much is because cars are really expensive, I'm a broke student at the moment. Also I don't believe anybody wants to see me and my father wire our garage to support the welder.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Some people seem to delight in finding fault in others here on the hamb like there is some reward to be had at the end of the day. HRP

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  20. As a very accomplished newbie and expert lurker, I really like the HAMB but I don't feel often that I have much to contribute. I don't have the background (and I'm not from the era) to be able to keep up in these conversations.

I've had some helpful people, like squirrel, and many others, give me positive feedback on a few posts that I've done. Though it was startling (and a bit daunting) when I posted up about how my dad had redrilled the front wheel adapters on the truck to fit a different bolt pattern. The response was a bit overwhelming, but most people were respectful and treated me with kid gloves.

The lesson I have learned from the HAMB, though, is well intentioned as people can be, sometimes it's hard to describe what the issue is when asking for help. I've spent much more time in the garage on the ongoing project; putting my hands into the grease and rust has taught me more than asking for advice here.

I really enjoy other peoples stories, though. I don't come here often as I used to, but today I had a spare second and now I'm back to get elbow deep in GL4 gear lube once again. Adios! I appreciate y'all.

Gasoline Junkie likes this.
  21. 5window

5window

My friends, this was not intended to be a "bitch thread" or any kind of complaint about Danny(HRP)'s threads. I started it merely as an observation and hoped it would engender some discussion on why more members haven't started discussions. I think some folks have addressed that. There was a time when the HAMB was wild and free and caustic and cynical. It has become quite a bit gentrified. Perhaps that was Ryan's goal, perhaps it was just an evolution.
    Whatever the reason, polite discussion and the sharing of views always has a place.

I don't personally start many threads because I am much more of a "learner" than a "teacher". I do like questioning authority, tilting at windmills and occasionally stirring the pot. I really appreciate the appropriate comments you all have made and maybe we all will have learned a little bit about our fellow HAMBers.

Thor1, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. kursplat

kursplat

in any volunteer organization ~ 10% of the people do ~ 90% of the work. what can you do.... i don't have an approved car to talk about and i don't think this place should change just so i can. i'm on here because i love old cars and wrenching on shit. awesome place for learning. many thanks to everyone that's taking time away from doing something to show me how to do something.
    p.s. "the search button thing" - not everyone's search jiu jitsu is strong. if ya can't help a brother out, let it slide

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I'm sure that just came off the top of your head and not directed at anyone in particular. I was thinking that spelling and punctuation are very important in life, and even just among friends.
    Some posts are almost impossible to fathom.

I've only started a few threads. Asking for help / info has gotten me nowhere and the threads have
    faded away. That's alright, if no one's interested there's nothing I can do. Besides, my thing is
    posting photos, hopefully adding something to a subject. "Hotroddon" mentioned the Hot Rod
    Truck thread as how things can go awry. It started with a certain intention but as Hambsters
    got interested the thread bloomed (or spread like weeds). So what? People have a common interest
    and want to share what they have. There are more than a few threads that realistically could be
    closed because we didn't stick to the basic premise. I hope that doesn't happen as I dig seeing
    cars and styles I never knew existed and I've been around a long time.

If I have a complaint about the different threads (besides the silly ones) it is the use of magazine
    article photos. After 60 years of reading car mags I've seen a whole hell of a lot of the pics posted,
    and when those are doubled and tripled up it really gets irritating. You make think this is goofy
    but I'd rather see someone's half-assed Instamatic shots than those of professional magazine
    photographers.

Finally, I don't think we need every member to start a thread or even comment. Click on "Like",
    that let's the poster know he caught your interest. I "like" a fair amount but don't do it for everyone.
    There are those that avoid my stuff so I show the same (dis)courtesy.

24. With 1,106,126 registered members your not going to begin to satisfy even a small portion of the hamb members,we all have different likes & dislikes but IMHO that is the catalyst of a great forum. HRP

" You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln

Sparked likes this.
  25. 5window

5window

While I agree totally with that statement, there is absolutely no evidence that Lincoln ever said it. It has been attributed to a speech he made in 1856, and sometimes to a speech made in Clinton,IL in September, 1858, but there are no contemporary supports for this. The first attribution was in the Milwaukee Journal on October 29,1886. In 1905, no one could be found who actually heard Lincoln say this, so who knows?

Further information, if for some unknown reason you are interested, can be found here: For the People: A Newsletter of the Abraham Lincoln Association, "'You Can Fool All of the People' Lincoln Never Said That", by Thomas F. Schwartz (V. 5, #4, Winter 2003, p. 1) and "A New Look at 'You Can Fool All of the People'" by David B. Parker (V. 7, #3, Autumn 2005, p. 1)

Some people think that the quote was actually from P.T. Barnum, but you can't fool me :)

quick85 and hotroddon like this.
  26. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

My build thread got Tommy gunned by the newer formats and categories. And oh man. What if you cant decide between hot rod or custom? Democrat or Republican? White or wheat bread? Those modern rubbery Levi's or selvedge denim like the rich kid crew? What if you realized you're 43 and actually a street rodder now , and you got into model A's because they were CHEAP and before you didn't want to live anyway but now you do because your 7 year old wants to see the stray cats play and that's cool so you have to be there to make sure he's not turning into a cork sniffing parts flipping flannel shirt flathead snob that thinks he's the "bees knees"

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. To be precise the words were originally pen by a Benedictine Monk & Poet by the name of Lydgate who was born in the mid 1300's.

I am a old fart but I wasn't around to hear any of Lincoln's speeches,so I can't confirm or deny anything he said during his life time. HRP

28. And to be Perfectly Clear, I was Not looking for fault or slighting anyone, but Rather pointing out how and why the HAMB experience has changed for me, and not for the better. Just my take on it, doesn't matter if you agree or disagree - it was just my point of view. Take it or leave it, don't care.

Now as for Anthony, as a high school teacher, you should know the difference between Germane (relevant to a subject under consideration) and German (You know the dudes that, according to "Bluto", bombed Pearl Harbor) - Then again maybe that hammer hit your head and not the metal too many times ......

Carry on, I gotta go get ready for the Edelbrock Display this weekend.

BAD ROD and winduptoy like this.
  29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

At 72 years old, I read much more than type, my build thread hasn't had any updates because I haven't done anything on it worthy of posting, (see age related inactivity from various ailments). That said I still enjoy seeing what folks are doing even if I don't post comments very often. Carry on, I just heard the ding from my microwave, the popcorn is ready.

BAD ROD and HerecometheJudge1954 like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lack of Diversity on the HAMB?

Title your document then counter it
    in the first three words you write...

Then further quoted in your post...

"I'm not sure where I am really going with this, just seemed a bit odd and got me wondering what others might think. As for me, I'm going back to check out some of the interesting questions, HRP has put up."

This is an affront to the complete membership in that you are saying...

1) Nothing posted is interesting here other than content by a perceived load bearer who has a percentage which you deem is relevant to interesting content...

This is your opinion, but by putting it publicly forward here I will respectfully disagree that this place lacks interesting questions and content.

Nice of you to let the Membership which includes the Leadership, so many Veterans
    of the very periods of the growth of what we are celebrating here and All the others
    including myself that any and all questions asked are not interesting.

"Lack of Diversity on the Hamb"

a very naive statement which cuts to the bone

"not a complaint"

but very insulting.

My opinion is one posting, statement or question by any member
    can bear the weight of many or all but that is not the intent in general.

I also believe the diversity here is overwhelming and welcome
    and perpetual...

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    HOTRODPRIMER and Max Gearhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.