Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage RWYB@Silver Dollar Motorsports Park Sept. 22,2018

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, Jan 3, 2018.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

got BGII (my roadster) back in shape to run again, hopefully no more problems, but will find out soon at Steel in Motion, and if anything needs attention, it'll get it before RWYB. Hotel room already reserved as I'm an old fart that just can't handle the camping anymore, even if it is free, LOL! But you can bet your boots T'll be at the campfire Sat.night.

brianf31, GAOldsman and Floater03 like this.
  2. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

As Dave stated at the top of the post, sndra.jpg this is the group that will be running with us on the 22nd

dirty old man and brianf31 like this.
  3. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Watching NHRA racing from Commerce today. Just had a shout out for Silver Dollar Raceway and it's new owner for Long Island. The little track made the big time TV. Let's all be there and enjoy RWYB this year with new owner!!

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  4. Cool beans Woody. I missed the plug.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Couple days ago I had a phone conversation with Anthony Persico, the chief operating officer of the track which is actually owned by his father, an old Long Island,NY drag racer, Tony Persico He had updated web site and schedule, accidently leaving us off the 9/22 date, but said he would correct ASAP.
    He also asked if we would be interested in running 2 dates next year, one in the Spring with us paired with SNDRA and another in the Fall, also paired with SNDRA.
    Neither of us pull in enough cars and crowd to support a date solely for our group yet, but together he feels it would be a good, successful show.
    I'd really like to know how yall feel about this. No one is really in charge of RWYB, it's just all of us getting together to have a good time with our hot rods.
    Would really like your input on this.

48fordnut likes this.
  6. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More old iron is always a good thing. I say go for it.

Floater03 and GAOldsman like this.
  7. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

I like the idea of 2 times at Reynolds

8. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

The SNDRA is on the schedule on the 22nd. Dave mentioned it in the op. I shared the flyer for their race last week end on here at the beginning of the month. They have a fb page with pictures from that event. They camp at the tracks on Fridays so anyone coming from out of town can join them. Great bunch of people and some cool rides too.

9. Whelp my daughter had her baby shower so I was able to inspect the Hoodlum today.

Backstory, last time I drove it, I noticed it was smoking from both rear drums. Today I pulled the back wheels and drums and everything was clean. No brake fluid leaking out of the wheel cylinders and no dope leaking from the axle seals.

Hopefully tomorrow will be as decent as it was today and I get to stretch her legs a bit and delve further into what caused both drums to smoke like they did ....

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Current situation. Car ran great today. More routine maintenance, another change of the thermostat and looking for another moon tank or the like for another catch can.
    49666E04-11F8-4B40-9071-9748B2E24153.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and Floater03 like this.
  11. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Bump. We need a flyer to help spread the word. 50's parking lot.jpg

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The flyer is done by Big A and is something he's got to find time to do as just like most of us, he has to work for a living. I'm sure he's thinking about us on it.
    Haven't had as much comment as I'd like to get about my earlier question about having 2 events a year as suggested by Anthony Persico.

13. chopped

chopped

I was there on the 12th, lots of fun.

Floater03 likes this.
  14. Andrew and I spoke awhile back and he said his plate was pretty full but we are creeping up the list.
    I probably couldn’t do two events with having (mandatory) to work on Saturdays. Just my $0.02.

chryslerfan55 and Floater03 like this.
  15. 1C6E52F3-4EB7-48D0-BEFC-654C7470C622.jpeg Here ya go. Thanks again Andrew :cool:

16. Back up top hot rodders K :cool: :cool: L

Floater03 likes this.
  17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Well, once again the good ol' HAMB dropped out my subscription to this thread and I was unaware of the new flyer pic.

GAOldsman likes this.
  18. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

I've made copies and am putting `em out there! Should be a good day with the SNDRA running too

GAOldsman likes this.
  19. Hopefully someone will remember to pass some out at Steel In Motion in a few months.

20. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm not at all sure who's going to SIM in Aug. Gonna be hottern hell up there in those SC sand hills in Aug. and I for one don't think it will be a fun place to be, just being honest about it.

GAOldsman likes this.
  21. Definitely envy those that do attend. Just too far for me to go and having to work on Friday and Saturday morning until noon.

22. Flyer looks killer! One of the small handful of weekends that gets me through my day-to-day! Always an awesome time and can't wait until this year!

23. 74 Days 'Till Go Time!

Be There!

K:cool::cool:L
    KK

[​IMG]

Floater03 likes this.
  24. 68 countdown2.jpg

68 days 'till go time. Before you know it, it'll be 58

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Floater03 likes this.
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Hopefully I have just about gotten all the bugs outta BGII, my roadster. The big oil leal hs been found and fixed, and a new Hurst shifter replacing the old used one along with a careful adjustment helped the balky shifting tremendously, plus I have gone completely thru the fuel and ignition systems.

26. Where was the leak Dave?

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Biggest problem was my choice of valve cover gaskets, will never again buy rubber valve cover gaskets! The right bank of an sbc engine is set to the rear, and I hadn't seen the oil leak there at the back till I pulled the valve cover and found the gasket had shrunk and actually pulled completely out from between the valve cover and head surface on the inboard corner and the oil was spraying out through the gap and down the firewall behind the distributor and plug wires. You couldn't see it till you crawled under car and followed the oil trail.
    Replaced both sides' gaskets and found the left one almost pulled out like the right side. Used a new premium gasket that has a thick layer of cork on each side of a metal center, all securely cemented together, no leaks since.

GAOldsman likes this.
  28. I like the rubber gaskets for the valve covers especially since you can reuse them. Unless they have become damaged. I’ve been using them for close to 20 years with zero issues.

When I pulled the tins off of the Hoodlum, both sides were leaking in the back corner. Daddy used cork and after a solid hour of removing the cork and dried snot, I said to myself I’m using rubber and no snot.

Well they leaked like a sieve on both sides. The only remedy was using wide hold down tabs to apply equal pressure over a greater area.

Floater03 likes this.
  29. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Perhaps I should have been more detailed about the gaskets I installed. They are cork with some sort of treatment impregnated into them that gives then a texture somewhere between the straight cork one and the straight rubber ones, with a layer on each side of a steel piece maybe .030-.040 in the middle that insures they don't pull in, as the steel holds them straight.
    The slick machined mating surfaces of both my aluminum heads and valve covers allowed the rubber ones to just pull outta place for whatever reason, and there was a big gap with no gasket at all because the gasket was inside instead of between the head and valve cover. No wonder I oiled the track down.

30. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Bump
    Looks like the car isn't gonna make it, again! Buying a house, getting a shop built have put a huge dent in the play money:mad: At least I will finally have the car home and no excuses from here on out!:rolleyes: barney@rwyb.jpg

GAOldsman likes this.