Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1947 Olds Aero Coupe Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazyolman, May 25, 2014.

1. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I like the pics of how the exhaust was run.Mine will have the same setup and seeing it done already helps me to plan.I will keep front suspension in place and work with that.Please keep updating us on the build and thanks. Fedco

2. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

The thing that helps most on the exhaust was the 3" pipe welded into the frame for the exhaust to pass through as it allows everything to be tucked up out of sight. I'm glad if what I have posted is helpful.

3. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

This thread has not been updated in quite a while so thought I would check in.
    Not much has been done on the Olds as I have been working on the 1964 Chrysler letter car to get it ready for the paint booth again. It was painted years ago when it was taken apart but never put back together and over the years has collected enough minor damage I decided to sand it down and repaint the complete car. The car was a bare shell, but painted, when I got it so I removed the sub frame and had it powder coated then all parts including engine, transmission and rear end were rebuilt and reinstalled.
    I have also been busy with the frame up build of the 1957 Corvette resto-mod and the grandsons 31 Chevrolet.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  4. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

The Olds has been at a friends shop to have the rest of the bodywork finished and then it will be painted in DP 40 so I can drive it while finishing the interior etc. John is almost done with it and is doing a great job. Some things are just better to have a professional do. I would have liked to do it myself if I wasn't so old and have too many other projects.

5. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Just found this thread and love the car. I also dig the Chrysler letter cars any pics or thread of it?

Also I recognize the "promo" printing on the UPS label where you where painting the brackets so I'm Guessing your a fellow Snap-on Franchise. Good to see some more of us are HAMBER's. Unless the box was from someone else and I'm assuming too much.
    I still love the car!!

6. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

You can see some pictures on my flickr photo site of the 1964 Chrysler 300 K https://www.flickr.com/photos/buickfan/albums/72157651881994476
    If you click on the pictures you can read a detailed account of what was done.
    I use a lot of Snap-on Tools but do not have a Franchise.
    The Chrysler was just finished and is for sale. I have a lot of time and money invested in the car but I will sell it for whatever the best offer is. It would cost well over $100,000 dollars to restore any car to this level.

7. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

I am finally able to start back on the Oldsmobile and will be installing a new wiring kit as the first step to making it road ready.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  8. Great car, i love it

Hennie

9. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Travis has had a ball showing it off to his friends at school and sent me a picture of his mustang convertible and the 31 inside the garage while his parents cars sit outside, talk about spoiled but he is a great kid.

10. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Found that I could get new headlight assemblies from Chevs of the 40's so those were installed and I started running the wiring to the front. I am using the 22 circuit wiring kit from speedway motors as it seems to be one of the best around and is very reasonably priced.

11. Sporty45

Sporty45

Love this build. I have had it bookmarked for a while now. It gives me inspiration to get going on mine. Glad to see you are back to it!

12. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Travis coupe is fantastic! Really looking forward to progress on the Olds. You do nice "stuff". Hope Travis is helping with the Olds.

13. Sporty45

Sporty45

I meant to mention yesterday that I bought the same headlight assemblies from them too. Very nicely made and look just like the originals.

14. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

After some research I found that they used the same headlight bucket assembly for all GM cars from the 40's through the 50's until they switched to a 4 light system.

15. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

mgtstumpy and LAROKE like this.
  16. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

The wiring to the rear was run inside the woven plastic wrap for protection and the fuel gauge, license plate light, and left taillight assembly are complete but I still need another new light socket to complete the rear lights. I used the wire for the 3rd brake light that is included with the wire kit for the feed to the trunk latch. I have a good trunk release button removed from another project that will work to release the latch.( if the Gremlins haven't found it first )

17. Sporty45

Sporty45

Crazyolman , any updates to this thread? I really like this build! :cool:

18. BJR

BJR

You said you removed the tubs that the rear windows roll down into to fit the power window kits. Where does the water now go when it gets by the window seals? Those tubs caught that water and had a hose on the bottom that directed the caught water to the outside of the body.

19. Sporty45

Sporty45

Anything new???

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy